Thread: Difference Between Desktop CPU (Sandy Bridge-E) & Server CPU (Sandy Bridge-EP) ?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Difference Between Desktop CPU (Sandy Bridge-E) & Server CPU (Sandy Bridge-EP) ?

Ave,

I will be building a machine exclusively dedicated to Autodesk Maya - this machine will be used for 3D Animation, Modelling and most importantly Rendering. I'm not using a GPU-Renderer so the most important component in my machine needs to be the CPU, followed by Memory. In terms of CPU, the bottomline with Renedering is always a good combination of "more" cores & "faster" cores.

I'm trying to figure out the best parts to use for this machine, but I'm sort of stuck on a question.

What is the Core difference between a Desktop CPU (Sandy Bridge E) and a Server CPU (Sandy Bridge-EP), *IF* the # of cores are equal (say 6) and you take away two factors ... Cost & GHZ Speed?

Let me clarify, obviously the Server CPU's are far more expensive then the Desktop CPU's; at the same time, the actual GHz you're getting out of a Server CPU is generally less then a Desktop CPU ... so if you were to NOT take those two factors into consideration, what would be the sheer PERFORMANCE difference between the two?

Let me take 2 real world examples:

The system is going to be a Dual-CPU either way.

I was going to go the server route and build a machine with:
    Motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D16 (Dual LGA2011 Socket)
    CPU: 2 X E5-2687W (Or perhaps one slightly cheaper then that - a 6-Core; depending on availability of funds)

And then I saw the Desktop counterparts, and I thought I could build a machine with:
    Motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D8 (Dual LGA2011 Socket)
    CPU: 2 X i7-3930K

In the above, the Desktop system has more GHz Speed, and assuming the # of Cores are equal - but it's cheaper then the Server build.

So let's say if both the Server & Desktop CPU's had the EXACT same GHz Speed ... and both by some miracle cost me EXACTLY the same, And let's also imagine that BOTH are 6-Core CPU's, which one would perform better - and most importantly WHY?

Another way to look at my question is, what advantage am I getting spending almost twice the cost but gaining less GHZ speed with the Server CPU ... as opposed to the Desktop CPU ... assuming # of cores are equal?

Thanks!!
    ~~ ++: Primary Rig :++ ~~

Alienware M17x-r2 [SPACE BLACK]
    Core i7-820QM | 17" 1200p RGBLED LCD | 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz | Dual 1GB Crossfire ATI 5870 | 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7200RPM HDDs) | Blu-ray Reader + DVD-DL Burner | Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Alienware Messenger Bag | Razer Orochi Bluetooth

PI in the face
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 does not support non server chips, you are paying big money for the ep chips because they are a necessary part of the equation if you want sandy bridge and more than 1 cpu.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 does not support non server chips, you are paying big money for the ep chips because they are a necessary part of the equation if you want sandy bridge and more than 1 cpu.
    So essentially you cannot have Dual Desktop (Sandy Bridge E) chips in any motherboard? If you want DUAL CPU ... you HAVE to go Server ... Correct?

Core i7-820QM | 17" 1200p RGBLED LCD | 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz | Dual 1GB Crossfire ATI 5870 | 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7200RPM HDDs) | Blu-ray Reader + DVD-DL Burner | Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Alienware Messenger Bag | Razer Orochi Bluetooth

I am Xtreme
    Unless you go fully pro in your rendering there's no need to cash out enormous amounts for the dual socket server board and CPUs... just OC your SB-E to 4.5 and let it do it's job...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

I am Xtreme
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Sandy Bridge in a nutshell:

With the desktop chips they can only be used in single cpu setups and you have a MAX of 64GB of ram and no registered ECC support.

With the server chips (E5 Xeon) you have a max of 750GB of memory ( a max of 375GB with the 1600 series). Both have registered and ECC support. The 2600 series can be used it dual configurations while the 1600 series can only be used in single chip setups.

Check out ark.intel.com to see the details.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Safan summed it up.

Also, the Xeons also have 8 core variants, and also various "RAS" features which the desktop chips don't have.
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    Sandy Bridge in a nutshell:

With the desktop chips they can only be used in single cpu setups and you have a MAX of 64GB of ram and no registered ECC support.

With the server chips (E5 Xeon) you have a max of 750GB of memory ( a max of 375GB with the 1600 series). Both have registered and ECC support. The 2600 series can be used it dual configurations while the 1600 series can only be used in single chip setups.

Check out ark.intel.com to see the details.
    Ah! This is the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you.
    I have to be honest - I did not know that you couldn't have 2 Desktop CPU's in a dual socket board; that right there would have been the most viable difference & reason to go with Server system.

Appreciate the responses.