Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diablo III out this May 15th.

Xtreme Addict
    WangChung, the posters generally put specific emphasis on acknowledging that their opinions are based on the beta.

But this isn't the first game in history to follow this release model - and in general not much changes from Beta to release. If it were a brand new game then we would be more forgiving, buts it a sequel. Most sequels lately have no lived up to their predecessors - for a plethora of reasons.

c[_]
    another grindfest.. i'll play it for the story then get bored just like diablo 2 probably.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    Indie games are not overhyped, the so called AAA game studios simply don't make anything as good as it used to be.

Bastion and Braid were the best games I have played over the last two years, VVVVVV and Call of Cthulhu both cost a few pennies, but were still far more entertaining and far better gameplay wise than any major game release I have recently played.

Major game studios are only focusing on two things these days - graphics and selling to the masses, everything is consolized and doesn't even come close to matching the games we used to have. Diablo is probably the only game in its genre that has inspired so many high quality clones like titan quest and sacred, in everything else the gameplay continuously worsens as graphics and sales increase, leaving the indie market open to create nostalgia games full of the high quality gameplay that some gamers still want, yet aren't getting from the AAA releases.

Xtreme Member
    I have been in the beta since it was first released and I do like D3. Sure, it is different than D2, but that is what I want! If I wanted a D2 clone I would get a clone. So the points addressed about D3.

1. Required internet connection: Sure this sucks if you are traveling or the internet is down, but most of us are connected 24/7. I think it is a welcome system to fight duping and hacking (it will probably still exist but not as rampant.)
    2. Stat distribution: Cookie cutter builds. D2-enough str for gear, dex for block, rest in vit, leave energy at base. Sure, we lose a bit of customization if you want to be unique, but my D2 experience started off with experimenting and my chars sucked. I deleted them and started over so I wasted my time. I think this move allows users to enjoy the game.
    3. Auction house: No issues with this concept since there can be great items people want. Some make some money and everyone wins. It just eliminates ebay/websites and blizzard corners the market.
    4. Skills: I do not see an issue with the setup in D3. It allows us to be more effective with skills. The rune options also give you a decision of what is truly needed. Some of the runes look great, but some seem equal. It will vary on the playing style. Of course, there will be the standard skills every sorc/barb/etc will use. Plus, updates will come in the future. D2 did not start out with synergies.

Does the game cater to the masses, yes! Does it make it a horrible game? Maybe, we will see when the full game is released. We only know a very small percentage of the game.

My favorite part is the shared inventory. Thank you for getting rid of mules. The only downside is limited storage...
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

I am Xtreme!
    Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012...anced-edition/

There is game worth playing. Heh

Overhaul Games (Beamdog's development arm) is heading up the projects, with the support of both Atari and Wizards of the Coast.

• The new Beamdog newsletter states a Summer 2012 release date, at least for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (no release date for Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition yet).

• Tales of the Sword Coast will be included in the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Throne of Bhaal will be included in the Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition.

• There will be "new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members".

• The team is doing their best to provide support for mods, old and new.

• Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will be exclusive to Beamdog (on PC), though other platforms will be announced next week at the very same time. The very first screenshots will debut then, too.

• The BG:EE will utilize the 2nd Edition D&D ruleset, just as the original games did. Beamdog's motto: "Don't break the fun."

• The "Infinity Enhanced" engine that powers both Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition will be "based off the latest Throne of Bhaal code base". That means we can use class kits and wild mages in the original Baldur's Gate!

• The team is making it a point to support as many languages as they can.

• No new-fangled 3D-rendered graphics, here. They're going "2D isometric all the way", just the way we like it.

• The team is going to stick with the original BG model of limited voiceovers because it "allows for more in-depth writing." Good call.

• As of right now, our old BG1 and BG2 save games should work in the Enhanced Editions. The team hasn't had to change the save game formats... yet, anyway.

• There will be all-new characters for us to meet and recruit into our party in the Enhanced Editions. Voiced by all-new actors, no less.

• The Enhanced Editions will likely only be released digitally, so your old Baldur's Gate boxed copies will have to continue taking up your prized shelf space for now.

• The interface will see some revising, specifically to increase the size of the font (and hopefully the characters) at high resolutions. Elaborating further, Trent states that they have the original source code and are attempting to rework the UI and rendering.

• Once you're finished with the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, you will be able to import your character into the Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, just as we could with the original games.

• The team is "looking for new ways" to attach Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast and Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal into one cohesive title. And, yes, that would be nothing short of awesome.

• The outdated DirectPlay network interface used by Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II has been "macheted" to make room for something that is "better". Here's to hoping co-op multiplayer will be vastly improved!

• The ultimate goal? The new Enhanced Editions are "part of the master plan" toward the possibility of a Baldur's Gate III.
    Last edited by Agrophel; 03-19-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    MAIN PC: CPU: Intel Core 7 920 D0 , MB Evga SLI MCRO X58, RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 6GB, GFX: 6970 2GB , OS HDD: Intel 40GB , Intel 160GB G2 SSD, WD SCORPIO BLUE 500GB, Case LIAN LI PC-V354 , Windows 7 Ultimate
    FILE/MEDIA Server: MB: Supermicro X8SIA-F , CPU: Intel Xeon Quad-Core - X3460, Raid card: Areca 1880i+ HP SAS Expander ,CASE: Chenbro RM 414B , OS DISK WD Scorpio Black 160gb ,RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz ECC/Reg ,PSU: Corsair HX750W , HHD: 10x HITACHI Deskstar 2TB, OS: Windows server 2008
    Server2: MB: Tyan S5217G2NR-EFI Bigby-P, CPU: Intel Dual core , 4GB RAM , Areca 1680IX-16, HDD 10x WD Black 1TB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12