Thread: Epic's Thermal Tower

Epicpccases

Epic's Thermal Tower

Epic's Thermal Tower

Oh...that thing.

For the longest time after we sold the Carbide Series design to Lamptron I kind of twiddled my thumbs a bit. I used the design knowledge to create a mini case that LAN gamers could enjoy and all was well and good till the hordes of emails showed up demanding that we do a full sized build.

Pictured, a full size build.

So I did some designing, wow I did some designing. I'm the kind of unfortunate soul that gets in a "zone". Some days I spent almost 10 hours straight going through Autocad, making sure every little detail was correct. Like all good designers, I thought about the features I wanted in the case and a unique way to apply those features to the design in a way that made sense.

Flat packed, skinny, tall, enough room for 360mm radiators top and bottom. Inverted motherboard tray, push and pull configurations, case filters etc etc. All of these features were those of which had been fed back to us over the course of the past two years and the set of features above could be found in very few, if any, cases already on the market.

The biggest design challenge though was to create a case that could be flat packed and assembled, a whole new ball game for someone who has spent the past two years using weldon to bond cases together with the assistance of clamps. So without much further ado, welcome to my build log of a true prototype, one that you will actually be able to get your hands on in the very near future!

Thanks to:
    Razer
    EKWB
    Fraglabs
    Asus
    Republic of Gamers

Check it out, more soon!

Well hey, I'm back.

I ran out of acrylic but that hasn't stopped me from screwing together the pieces I did cut just so I could get a better idea of what the case looks like.

It's tall...

I haven't fully polished the pieces either and the great thing about the case is that I can do that without too much hassle. Just put the allen key into the holes the panels will come off quite nicely.

I did, admittedly spend around an hour polishing the bottom of the case for whatever reason (you'll never see the bottom anyhow -_-) and now I have decided that I would rather the bottom to be clear so that light can shine through it.

I was actually so caught up with this particular idea that I'm willing to cut another sheet of acrylic just to make it happen , this is my personal case so I wanted it to be perfect.

Completed the side panel and was one of the few times I did the engrave on the outside instead of the inside of the panel. I really like how it turned out.

Side panel on and I didn't quite like the legs I put on so I've decided to make that entire bottom area another layer of clear acrylic like a rim. This hopefully will light up, in theory...

Lets hope I'm right!

In the meantime I also dived into another sheet of clear acrylic for the bottom. Going for an awesome amount of blue light!

You can see how the bottom attaches with m4 screws. I can easily swap the bottom out later for another config, for example sake I could put a 280mm radiator and some pump mounting holes on there instead. It's a modular case!

Epicpccases

Another update for the weekend and after much planning, I now have a rim down the base of the case that lights up!

You can also see that the bolts are holding the case together quite nicely

The case is nice and tall but really not that long or wide. It can still fit cards much bigger than the 6990 and has plenty of room for our install.

I go back to work tomorrow and will post updates as I can!

Some progress coming up on Tuesday but I would like to in the meantime thank Asus Republic of Gamers for jumping on board to sponsor this build!

Thanks to Razer we also have some peripherals in this mod!

EKWB sent a few things in

Fraglabs sent this guy in and apparently it's all good for sleeving

They also sent this RAM in as well. At 2133mhz it probably isn't the most overclockable RAM but we have a RAM block so we will certainly be trying!

I got some engraving done and have Wednesday off, plenty of progress on Wednesday is coming up

Will be interesting to see how I integrate the ROG parts into the build. The build is of course blue and black so I'll be changing some of the default LEDs in the parts to accommodate.

Me and a mate of mine decided to have a go at sleeving with paracord. It's actually quite nice to work with and I've found some other decent uses for it as well around the home.

I took the computer apart again for a final polish down, you'll notice some goodies that ASUS ROG sent through as well

I've always wanted two copies of BF3 :p

The 6990 will be watercooled

That is one sexy motherboard I will be doing a full review of it once I get it up and running. Anyone know a RAM block for the dominators that will work either side of the dimms?

Thanks to ROG and ASUS for their support!

Razer
    EKWB
    Fraglabs
    Asus
    Republic of Gamers

Epicpccases

I just reviewed it!

Thanks to ROG and ASUS for their support!

Razer
    EKWB
    Fraglabs
    Asus
    Republic of Gamers

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Nice work so far

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpccases View Post
    Anyone know a RAM block for the dominators that will work either side of the dimms?
    These should work
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Case is looking nice Daniel, you certainly like room to move in there :P I'm liking the fact that you have switched to using bolts to fasten the case together, I think it is an improvement over the weld-on, put's the need for accuracy on the CNC rather than a steady hand. Plus add's that little bit of an "Industrial" look which I like. Being a modular design is a huge plus too, easy to customise parts to everyone's needs.

I have a case design that I would like to talk to you about when I am back in Brisbane too, been sitting on the design for about a year.

Epicpccases
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam_G View Post
    Case is looking nice Daniel, you certainly like room to move in there :P I'm liking the fact that you have switched to using bolts to fasten the case together, I think it is an improvement over the weld-on, put's the need for accuracy on the CNC rather than a steady hand. Plus add's that little bit of an "Industrial" look which I like. Being a modular design is a huge plus too, easy to customise parts to everyone's needs.

I have a case design that I would like to talk to you about when I am back in Brisbane too, been sitting on the design for about a year.
    Too easy Hit me up when you are back in Brisvegas!

Epicpccases
    I had today off. Significant things happen when I have days off.

It's the base of the case and yes that's an EKWB radiator with S frame Noiseblockers. Besides costing a small fortune, S-frames are all nice and rubbery, the actual fan doesn't touch the frame and whilst on, you can't actually hear them.

Time to reassemble!

Ikea would be proud. Now I just need to name it something inspiring like "Lack". I have two of the "lack" tables from Ikea, great value because they inflate every year with moisture and it's almost like I'm getting a free size upgrade.

Horrible photo although at the time I had some unique space constraints.

360mm at the bottom, 360mm at the top and 6 Fans. Airflow is most certainly no issue here!

Fraglabs will be selling our cases fully installed, anywhere in Australia

Just waiting on some EKWB Dominator X4's, a top watercooled mosfet and a 6990 waterblock and backplate!

Thanks to all the sponsors!

Razer
    EKWB
    Fraglabs
    Asus
    Republic of Gamers

Xtreme Cruncher
    OK am I missing pictures. Are there suppose to be pictures of the case up on here? I see the videos, but no pictures.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Epicpccases
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    OK am I missing pictures. Are there suppose to be pictures of the case up on here? I see the videos, but no pictures.
    Try here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2498832&type=3

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ah awesome thanks man. Also very nice work. great looking case.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    This looks more Epic the more time I see it!! Well Done!
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Epicpccases
    Quote Originally Posted by davidkozat View Post
    This looks more Epic the more time I see it!! Well Done!

Cheers David, here's some more! Subscribe to my youtube if you have the time!

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    Will do and welcome to XS!!
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Cruncher
    that things huge!!

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Member
    Welcome to XS, that case looks awesome!

Makes me 800D look tiny
    Q9650@4288 10.6sec 1m superpi water ||Asus P5Q Deluxe||4Gb Ballistix Tracer red||4870X2||Corsair1Kw

Epicpccases

The video of the case I did for Asus Republic of Gamers

Epicpccases
    Edit> Double post

Epicpccases

Xtreme Member
    Awesome case build mate!I would like to see it aluminium
    混沌とした アンモラル