Thread: Console Games are going bye bye .... ROTF

Xtreme Addict

Console Games are going bye bye .... ROTF

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d..._Consoles.html

I found this pretty entertaining to read. While I recognize that portable devices are getting better, these guys seem to think that devices like the IPad and IPhones will lead to the downfall of gaming consoles because they are capable of great graphics and game play. I'd like to see someone play mass effect on their IPad.... Angry Birds doesn't count as a video game.... :p

While I agree that these devices will progress into the future, I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden people will suddenly stop entertaining themselves with more complex and interactive gaming that frankly isn't available on IPad. These guys seem to think that resolution = great gaming. I'm sure someone thought the motion picture was doomed at some point in its history, but its approaching 100 years and no sign of ending any time soon. So I don't see how the IPad will lead to sales declines of gaming consoles unless you're talking about mindless games that you could probably still play on a 10 year old computer.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

there are a few things that are/will be leading to the idea of consoles dieing. the console makers are not making consoles, they think that they can go 10years on consoles that were underspeced when they launched since they have no competition but core pc gaming has grown and casual has grown faster, as much as i hate it the proliferation of the macbook is great for pc gaming since they all have a reasonable gpu other than 1 model. then console makers dont understand that there is steam and app stores that charge a few hounded for review, distribution, and patching; making the $40k to patch, 40% license fee (apple is 30% but free patches and distribution), and ESRB costs obsolete. lastly with users buying new devices every 2-3 years and virtualized desktop services (from home and cloud) it's not a popular idea to stick with an old product when you can get the same experience on all non pc platforms by connecting up to a pc or playing casual games there is no reason to have a console.

the only problems as of now is that there is no unified controller, but with ICS android has an 8 button, dpad, 2 analogue standard, and apple is supposed to have a controller coming out for the apple tv this summer this problem seams like it should be gone soon. android also supports full mouse and keyboard so you can blue tooth then virtual desktop and play games on your tv.

what i would watch for is the support for dedicated gpu in hyperV and esx. it is already in hyperV and it works ok but dose not allow active switching so once a company can make a rack and effectively rent out a few cores and a gpu there will be no point for the home console.

and mass effect is a poor example, 2 and 3 are TPS cover shooters and they use very low res textures and play at sub 720p on consoles i have no doubts that a current samsung device could run it or the new ipad. if apple used the reference 4 core powerVR its the same as a vita but with more ram so that already should kill sony since they used the slow snapdragon cores even if it is a quad.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I suppose maybe I'll see what they've got. I just don't see it getting rid of consoles so easily. Regardless of my examples, chose a more intense game; the point is the XBox produces enough heat that the original cooling design wasn't enough to prevent warping and cracking in the BGA connection soldering causing the RROD. How will an IPad or Android accommodate that kind of heat dissipation?

I can see the IPad and new handheld devices progressing the gaming market into a new direction. I just don't see it murdering the game console. The next Xbox will be out next year, and its not exactly going to be a slouch. I can see it as an alternative. Any time you have a new alternative, people move to that product, and competition leads to each product earning fewer sales. What it means is that the console developers will have to evolve. They'll have to accommodate the new market, and I think that they will.
    Regards, Stew.....

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    I suppose maybe I'll see what they've got. I just don't see it getting rid of consoles so easily. Regardless of my examples, chose a more intense game; the point is the XBox produces enough heat that the original cooling design wasn't enough to prevent warping and cracking in the BGA connection soldering causing the RROD. How will an IPad or Android accommodate that kind of heat dissipation?

I can see the IPad and new handheld devices progressing the gaming market into a new direction. I just don't see it murdering the game console. The next Xbox will be out next year, and its not exactly going to be a slouch. I can see it as an alternative. Any time you have a new alternative, people move to that product, and competition leads to each product earning fewer sales. What it means is that the console developers will have to evolve. They'll have to accommodate the new market, and I think that they will.
    10 minutes more time actually testing thermal configuration..

Tablets/phones will overtake consoles eventually, if not replace desktops as well. The trick is that eventually we will be able to (more easily) plug keyboards and mice into them and they will have operating systems that are easier to access/navigate the file system of, among other things file/operating system related..

Touch screens and tablets are great for small things, but honestly you just cant beat a mouse and keyboard/gaming input device for certain things.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Soon keyboard/mouse will be outdated, replaced by something vastly better. Kinect for the PC is a hint.. plus other devices. I made an invention, but do not have any practical means to actually get it manufactured *sighs*.

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    Soon keyboard/mouse will be outdated, replaced by something vastly better. Kinect for the PC is a hint.. plus other devices. I made an invention, but do not have any practical means to actually get it manufactured *sighs*.
    i dont think that the mouse will go away, maybe we will get an analogue stick on one hand and then the mouse but as of now nothing is near the accuracy or speed, and im not sure on loosing the keyboard for things like MMOs
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I just think it will take a little longer than a year or two. A lot of people like the tactical experience, and frankly I work all day I don't want to have to stand up and work hard to play a video game.... Voice control is one thing, but playing an action based game would require a lot of work without some sort of tactile control interface. I'm not dancing while I play MW3....

Edit: Of course, it probably wouldn't be that hard, just saying..... kicking back on the couch like a lazy bum while I play my video games is kind of the idea....
    Last edited by Stewie007; 03-12-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Regards, Stew.....