Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fully modular PSUs?

Xtreme Member

Fully modular PSUs?

How is everyone. I'm back after what seems like 2 years being gone and I have a quick question to get my posting started back on the boards again.

I'm looking to buy a PSU. I will be buying this PC and sleeving it and then using it currently until I upgrade (and even after).

These are what I plan on running.

AMD 7k series GPU
    MCP655 (if that's right) water pump.
    12 fans along with other general stuff like DVD player and the 2 fan controllers that I have in there already.
    Not sure on the CPU and motherboard yet, but something probably that will be overclocked.

I only have a 1900x1200 24" monitor. So I am probably going to go with 1 good GPU instead of 2 (don't really need 2).

I however need this power supply to be 100% modular (including the 24 pin).

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I know I don't need a 1200 watt monster but I know I'll get some good feedback from the guys on this site.

Thanks in advance.
    Project Obsessed being updates currently after a 2 year hiatus FML.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    Tis only money, more fun than having it in the bank!
    • - Asus Maximus II Formula • - Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6Ghz @ 1.272v • - Visiontek 4870 512MB • - 4GB Mushkin Redline @ 960Mhz • - Corsair HX620W Modular Power Supply • - X-FI XtremeMusic • - MM U2FO • - Gateway FHD2400 24'' w/ optional speakerbar

Watercooling Loop : Custom loop. Will update later.

New Project on the Horizon (with sponsors to boot)

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod
    Well the Spider platform is barely out and someone is already building a coffin for it.
    - in reference to Project: Mithril

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have a Corsair AX1200, and it's fully modular....soz for recommending a 1200W monster

ps: Weclome back....
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Bean.

I doubt anyone even remembers me lmfao.

But.... do I really need a 1200W power supply? Watt rig are you running it in (see what I did there :P)?

I don't want to buy a 1200w PSU for absolutely nothing.

Aren't there any more 100% completely modular power supplys? I don't want one wire running inside the PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
    I have a Corsair AX1200, and it's fully modular....soz for recommending a 1200W monster

ps: Weclome back....

• - Asus Maximus II Formula • - Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6Ghz @ 1.272v • - Visiontek 4870 512MB • - 4GB Mushkin Redline @ 960Mhz • - Corsair HX620W Modular Power Supply • - X-FI XtremeMusic • - MM U2FO • - Gateway FHD2400 24'' w/ optional speakerbar

Well the Spider platform is barely out and someone is already building a coffin for it.

Xtreme Legend
    Seasonic x series

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151105

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151111

There are smaller ones too ....I think they are 80Plus Gold rated

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Seasonic x series

Those links are for the Platinum series (and rated) but yes, they come in X Gold series as well and either series gets a +1 from me.

...and Tsaroth, I do remember you, welcome back.
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 12-31-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    What's the difference between the different versions of the seasonics? (plat and gold and whatever else they have)? I hadn't hear of them in quite a while. What's their customer service and warranty stuff look like?

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Seasonic x series

Thanks Waterlogged. I'm trying to get Project Obsessed actually updated a little (using only different sleeving) so I can have something to show to the nice people that actually sponsored my computer (no matter how little or how much they sponsored).

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Those links are for the Platinum series (and rated) but yes, they come in X Gold series as well and either series gets a +1 from me.

...and Tsaroth, I do remember you, welcome back.

Xtreme Legend
    Remember JonnyGuru? Well he has tested a couple of these to let you get a feel for just how good these are. I own a couple myself and just to put things in perspective my 650w version was hooked up to a i7 920 @ 4.0 with 2* 5870's running too 24/7 and pulling 655 at the wall according to the Kill-a-Watt .........this for around 2 months with no issues at all.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=264

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=235

Warranties seem to be different your side of the pond, you would be better to check locally but Newegg mention 7 years limited on the platinums and 5 on the golds

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks OldChap. Yeah I remember Johnny.

I'll read those reviews and take a look at the PSU. Maybe I'll need between like 650 and 850.

I just need a completely modular PSU so I can buy the proper Gauge wire for the 24 pin and then make my own custom length wires so I can have it wrap to where it's needed instead of having all that excess. Probably sleeve it with some MurderMods sleeve and see how I can make it look.

I appreciate your guys' information.
    Last edited by Tsaroth; 12-31-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Xtreme Member
    since its kinda on topic, and im not sure if its been answered already but can anyone say if fully modular PSU's are compaitble with sleeved cables like the bitfenix or nzxt? as in like just replace the standard cord with the sleeved one. thanks
    Main* Fractal Define XL - Intel Core i3 2100 - Gigabyte Z68MA D2H B3 - Dominator 4GB - HD 6870 Crossfire - Corsair HX1000 - Stock Cooler - WD 300GB Velociraptor - WD Caviar Black 1TB X2- AOC LED 23inch - ACER LCD 23inch - G500 Mouse - Thermaltake Challenger Keyboard

Netbook* HP Pavilion DM1Z

DEAD****** Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.7 - Rampage lll Formula - Vengance 12GB - GTX 570 SC Sli - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Thermaltake FrioFractal

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbaker` View Post
    since its kinda on topic, and im not sure if its been answered already but can anyone say if fully modular PSU's are compaitble with sleeved cables like the bitfenix or nzxt? as in like just replace the standard cord with the sleeved one. thanks
    The cable`s you mention, are extensions, so, yes, you can use them, to extend you`re cables.
    No, the`re not for replacing you`re cables. Or it wil involve some modding.
    REX4F - X79A-Sabertooth
    Noctua NH-D14 Pull-Pull NoiseBlocker PK3
    X3930 @4.5 - 1,325V
    X3860 @4.5 - 1,28V
    Geil Ultra+ 6x4 7-8-7-24@1814 1,65V Elpida???
    Gskill RJ-X 4x8 9-11-11 @2200 1,65V Sammy
    580 SLI

Xtreme Member
    See that's why I want a full modular cable. That way I can buy the properly gauged wire and make custom lengths and then sleeve it.

From now on, no matter what case I buy I can make a set of custom length cables. That's why I want the 100% modular one so bad.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XII View Post
    The cable`s you mention, are extensions, so, yes, you can use them, to extend you`re cables.
    No, the`re not for replacing you`re cables. Or it wil involve some modding.
    so i cant simply swap the modualr cpu/24pin/gpu cable for the pre-sleeved cable?
    Main* Fractal Define XL - Intel Core i3 2100 - Gigabyte Z68MA D2H B3 - Dominator 4GB - HD 6870 Crossfire - Corsair HX1000 - Stock Cooler - WD 300GB Velociraptor - WD Caviar Black 1TB X2- AOC LED 23inch - ACER LCD 23inch - G500 Mouse - Thermaltake Challenger Keyboard

DEAD****** Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.7 - Rampage lll Formula - Vengance 12GB - GTX 570 SC Sli - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Thermaltake FrioFractal

Xtreme Member
    so i cant simply swap the modualr cpu/24pin/gpu cable for the pre-sleeved cable?
    Are you talking about something like this?

No.

I believe the 100% modular 24 pin cables are male on both ends.

The extension is female and male.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Besides, is 9" really gonna reach from your PSU to the mobo tray? It may in certain computers.

Xtreme Member
    Ah ok, thanks for clarifing. I was planning a SFF build when the rampage 4 gene came out, so 9' would be plenty.

I am Xtreme
    Another thing to note with the Seasonic's (and I think this applies to some others as well) is the PSU side of the 24 pin is actually 2 connectors (18 pin and 10 pin).
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Why on earth would they do that?

I guess I'll just have to use their connector when I make the custom cables.

So of the Seasonic's are there any I should avoid? Is this one any good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151088

It's more my price range honestly. 230+ for a PSU hurts. I am still trying to have something that can run 2 GPUs should I decide to go crossfire one day.

Are there any other 100% modular besides Corsair and Seasonic? I've been trying to look but can't seem to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Another thing to note with the Seasonic's (and I think this applies to some others as well) is the PSU side of the 24 pin is actually 2 connectors (18 pin and 10 pin).

Xtreme Legend
    That one is the one I was talking about above. The design is about a year old. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=169

If you intend to go crossfire then it will depend a lot on which GPU you buy as to whether 650 will be enough. Personally I would say that the 750, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=192 or 760 (later design), http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=235 versions of the x-series might be better suited.

Once I found these I didn't see the point of looking further so I don't know if there are other makes that are fully modular

Xtreme Member
    Actually after looking closely at the pictures from Johnny Gurus website, it looks like there are pins inside the PSU so the end that plugs in there would be female, but if it's a split design then it may be very difficult for after market parts to get plugged in there (since the 24 pin is one piece. I'll have to make custom cables and use their piece.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifing. I was planning a SFF build when the rampage 4 gene came out, so 9' would be plenty.

Hey Oldchap. I was looking at the same back I uploaded with this post and are the 4 8pins up at the top for the PCI-E? Where is the mobo plug. I don't see anything that could be it, even being split.

Xtreme Legend
    It is approaching midnight here just now but I can take a close look at this and the leads that are supplied tomorrow ...let me know if you want pics (cell only I'm afraid)

The lead lengths are shown at http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-ser...60-760-850.htm ..I was thinking you wanted to shorten them whereupon the plug at the psu end could be just left but if you were thinking of extending or changing the guage then....

Mobo is shown as the two right most sockets in your pic which totals 28 pins I didn't notice this before so again let me get back to you. I will look to see if I have any documentation still

Xtreme Member
    I'd really appreciate any pictures you could muster up.

Yes, I'm going to buy some gauge wires, the appropriate pins (obviously I'll need male and female), a crimping tool and some mudermod sleeving. I'm going to make my own custom cables and just replace the ones that come with it.

I guess I'll just have to buy the PSU and see exactly how it goes and go from there.

Thanks.

Xtreme Legend
    http://imageshack.us/g/141/img00133201201022057cop.jpg/

My MB connectors
    View of PSU
    Similar view but showing label
    Alternate 8 pin conn (if you need 2) fits in pcie socket
    Pcie conn showing 2 cables in one plug
    Detail of above showing 8 pin wiring doubled into 6 pin

The last image is trying to show that they have put 2 wires into one pin on each of the cables at the psu end to get the 6 + 2. The psu connector is 12 pin for 2 of these cables

Yep I know these are poor pics I don't need to be told

Xtreme Member
    Those pictures hurt my freaking brain (not the quality, but what they did to get the plugs in.

I want to completely sleeve the cables and it looks like it's going to be hell making custom ones if I have to put two into one pin and make sure it's all right.

Oh well I guess I'm up for a challenge

Well I appreciate it. I think I'll wind up getting a Seasonic PSU then. I like Corsair and their warranty but the fully modular line is a bit expensive for my taste.

Xtreme Legend
    It is only the PCIE conns that are like this (I think) so you could do things neater .....unless you need 4 * pcie leads

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have the Corsair AX850 - It's fully modular as well.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    i have seasonic, i didnt wana deal with sleeving myself so i ordered a second set of wires from manufacture and sent em out to be sleeved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast