Thread: Is my PC enough to play 1080p?

Xtreme Addict

Is my PC enough to play 1080p?

Hey there guys, been a while.

I recently setup an HTPC which pulls the content from a server. Everything has been working perfectly until I started playing blu-ray rips.

The HTPC specs are:
    s939 170 @ 2.0gig (won't overclock since I removed the IHS years ago while I was running DI on it)
    MSI mobo (not sure of the model off the top of my head)
    3 gig crucial generic memory
    EVGA 430GT(stock)

So the issue I'm running into is, when I try to play the x264 MKV files which I ripped myself from blu-ray, the file sizes are about 7-9GB.
    I ran a lan speed test to see if it was an issue in the streaming between the HTPC and the server, but I got an AVG. read/write speed of 86mb. So when the video plays, the non-action scenes seem to play somewhat normally, but once the action scenes occur and alot of explosions are occuring, the video begins to lag and become choppy in VLC. When I run the video file in XMBC, it doesn't become choppy but the video and audio become out of sync.
    I manage to open up task manager while the video is playing and the CPU load does shoot up to 100% then it appears to drop to 25% while it's choppy, then shoot back to 100% when it plays normally again. So before I rip this thing apart and build a new HTPC, any advise you guys may have, is the 170 s939 not enough to run x264?
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

you should be fine if you have gpu decoding. if you want to do cpu then u need a minimum of a 2.2ghz dual core p4 (so about 1.7-1.8 on amd)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    you should be fine if you have gpu decoding. if you want to do cpu then u need a minimum of a 2.2ghz dual core p4 (so about 1.7-1.8 on amd)

Now by GPU encoding you're referring to the check box in VLC? I'm really thinking it's CPU related since it always seems to studder and ripple when the CPU spikes to 100% load on both cores.
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Addict
    I guess it all has to do with the codecs/decoders you use.

http://imouto.my/watching-h264-video...itecture-cuda/

I followed this very helpful guide and now my videos play perfectly, no tearing or lagging at all! Even the 45GB original blu-ray files play perfectly. CPU load is now 50-60% per core and GPU load is about 75-80%.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled