Thread: PSU Squeal !

PSU Squeal !

Hi there,

In my previous case, corsair 600t se, my psu (silverstone strider 850w gold) was silent in normal operation. since i installed it into my new case last night, silverstone ft02, the psu has a constant squeak/squeal while idling. i haven't tried loading it yet, but is there anything i can do to make the sound go away. i tipped the case over so the psu sits horizontally and the squeal goes away. only when it's 90 degrees rotated does it make the sound.

help please!

i5 2500k + Thermalright Archon (4.5GHz 1.352V)
    Asus MIV E
    G.Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
    MSI GTX 570
    Intel 520 120GB SSD OS
    Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB
    Corsair AX750W
    Pioneer DVR-212D
    Silverstone FT02B-W
    BenQ XL2410T
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like it could be the fan bearing. As a test you could place something (perhaps a q-tip) on the center of the fan (the fan hub) to slow the speed. If the squeal stops, the pitch changes, or quiets down, then that's it.
    If that is it then you can open the PSU and lube the fan bearing with some light oil, I usually use light synthetic motor oil.

There are other parts such as inductors that can squeal/whine. However it's highly unlikely that this would be affected by orientation.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Addict
    It's because you're not putting a load on it.
    I... would not be using that psu on a "personal" computer...
    Rma it, or exchange, or return ^^.

Hmmmm...
    I just re-read your post but.
    I don't understand, the psu worked fine in a different case?
    If that's is what is actually going on, then it's gotta be ground fault, ground, or shielding.

I'm curious, all my meanwell psu's do the same without a load on them, which is not a big deal to me since with a load they are fine.
    It gets higher pitched as I increase the voltage of the rail, ie it's the reg freq I can hear, built crappy... (ok with load though)
    But if it's something I can learn, lol I'm all for that.

What's going on with the case that's different?