Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Valve said to be working on 'Steam Box' gaming console with partners

Xtreme Member

Rumor: Valve said to be working on 'Steam Box' gaming console with partners

no one posted this?
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/284...gaming-console

We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The devices will be able to run any standard PC titles, and will also allow for rival gaming services (like EA's Origin) to be loaded up.

basically it all started when Gabe said in the most recent interview: "Well, if we have to sell hardware we will."
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/e...-and-whether-w
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They seem to already be dominating the PC gaming world, but if they got into hardware and did incorporate some media center features, that would be pretty awesome. Keep the price under $600 and it might just have a chance.
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16gb @ stock
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: Evga GTX 1080 FTW, Coil Whine edition
    PSU: Corsair RMi 650w
    Cooling: Please don't remind me. Corsair H115i w/Arctic P14 PWM fans.
    HDD: 970 Pro, 860 Evo, WD 1tb 3 platter drive (12 years old?!), etc.

Xtreme Guru
    So.....it's a PC with Steam's logo on it and a custom UI?

Release this at a price that's competitive with next gen consoles and you'll have something. More than $600 and people will just ignore it,

Xtreme Addict
    With those rumored specs, all Valve needs to do is create a very slick GUI with web-TV, blu-ray, access to the entire steam library, and DVR type functionality... and like Skymtl said, keep it under $600... and they have a winner IMO. An i7 with 8gb ram and modern nVidia GPU without the huge overhead called Windows, would be a very powerful machine. Far more so than any rumored specs for Playstation 4 or Xbox 720. We'll find out shortly.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    With those rumored specs, all Valve needs to do is create a very slick GUI with web-TV, blu-ray, access to the entire steam library, and DVR type functionality... and like Skymtl said, keep it under $600... and they have a winner IMO. An i7 with 8gb ram and modern nVidia GPU without the huge overhead called Windows, would be a very powerful machine. Far more so than any rumored specs for Playstation 4 or Xbox 720. We'll find out shortly.
    If you remove Windows, what would it run? That would remove the entire Steam game part...
    Why yes, yes I do use Koolance..*Flame Wall Inbound*

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jesus View Post
    If you remove Windows, what would it run? That would remove the entire Steam game part...
    Not necessarily, it may use a linux distro and run games in some form of virtual machine.

Whatever, take my money Valve!!

Banned
    Sub 300 USD maybe, over, good luck.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    Not necessarily, it may use a linux distro and run games in some form of virtual machine.

I feel like that would be more hassle than its worth :/ I don't really know though. We'll see
    Why yes, yes I do use Koolance..*Flame Wall Inbound*

Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post

valve has been working with OSX and moving source to run ogl and directX, so since they had been rumored to be working on their own OS i dont see why this would not have it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    valve has been working with OSX and moving source to run ogl and directX, so since they had been rumored to be working on their own OS i dont see why this would not have it.
    Well they have to be working on something since they still haven't even announced a squeal for HL:EP3. I mean, come on, they have said NOTHING!!!!!

A Steam console would be good, for a non-pc player. Desktop PC's FTW.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    Well they have to be working on something since they still haven't even announced a squeal for HL:EP3. I mean, come on, they have said NOTHING!!!!!

A Steam console would be good, for a non-pc player. Desktop PC's FTW.
    we as the pc community need to have the general public see how a pc works better on a tv than a console and that the mouse is the only way to play a shooter.

and whats with the $600 price range, once u got the last gen of consoles set up you were at like $650 so i dont see this upcoming one costing less than $750-800.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-04-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

I am Xtreme
    Funny how this is still going.. and all this steams from a rumor and a twitter pic back from november where a dude build a HTPC with a Zotac Z68-ITX WiFi Supreme board that could run portal 2 coincidently worked for valve...

It would work for indie games and non online FPS games (such as Half Life). but ye, essentially, it's going to be a very powerfull, steam branded, black and white HTPC.
    It will probably run either a very steamlined windows 8 or a very customized linux distro. though i wouldnt put it past them making there own OS.
    Will be interesting to see what happens imo
    Bring on the motorbikes!

It would work for indie games and non online FPS games (such as Half Life). but ye, essentially, it's going to be a very powerfull, steam branded, black and white HTPC.
    It will probably run either a very steamlined windows 8 or a very customized linux distro. though i wouldnt put it past them making there own OS.
    Will be interesting to see what happens imo
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Xtreme Member
    It would be great if they make their own linux version. Breaking the directX stranglehold would greatly benefit pc gaming.

I am Xtreme
    Not with OpenGL in its ty stat as it is.... Hell even carmack says DX is better then OpenGL.. and that says a lot when this comes form a man that basically kept openGL alive for gaming on its own.

Xtreme Member
    Couldn't they do away with the API if they control the hardware? If valve get enough momentum with their own hardware ATI and Nvidia would likely release steam compatible GPUs. It's not like MS is doing them any favors at the moment, the dx9 console ports must be hurting the high end gpu market.

Xtreme Member
    Valve-branded gaming-oriented OS for PC? I wish .
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If it happens, it would just be windows, or a stripped version of it. It needs to be able to play everything on Steam, not just the game developers can be bothered adjusting. In reality it would most likely just be a small PC, with a faster than normal GPU.

Xtreme Member
    why this is great: because its a PC powered system with accessibility of a console. if people want good games and graphics than this is the spot! It will compete directly with PS and XBOX and provide anther options and expand PC style game play into the mass market.

why this is bad: because if it fails no one will ever try again and it might mean that valve might start limiting their games based on their console.
    i5 4690k @ stock on Apogee GTX
    MB ????
    RAM ???
    HD6970 on mcw60
    PA120.3
    Custom Built Case

My Blog:
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Locke

Xtreme Member
    What's the point, Steam can't get premium EA games anymore. They should get back into the 'making games side' of the equation. DX on linux, probably not gonna happen.
    i7-3930K
    GA-x79-UD3
    Corsair H100
    4x2GB F3-12800CL6
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    EVGA GTX 470
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
    2X128GB Samsung 830's
    3XWD2002FYPS
    Corsair TX850
    Dell U2412M

Xtreme Addict
    DX on linux is completely possible. OpenGL can do the same things that DirectX does, you just have to translate it. If games did OpenGL calls instead of DirectX, we could have any game on any platform (and I would dump Windows in a heartbeat.) Plus, if Valve did their own gaming OS, I'd love to use it, but I'm sure it would require an always on connection-something I don't have the luxury of where I live. Nothing like being told "we don't care what the FCC says, we're not connecting high speed to your area."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    we as the pc community need to have the general public see how a pc works better on a tv than a console and that the mouse is the only way to play a shooter.

and whats with the $600 price range, once u got the last gen of consoles set up you were at like $650 so i dont see this upcoming one costing less than $750-800.
    Most people are already aware of this.

The problem is that most of the time when people buy a computer now, it's a laptop and thus can't game all that well due to the sort of GPUs in them. Plus people don't want to have to deal with the "hassle" of a computer. Keep in mind that for most people using a computer isn't all that fun. So there is no urge to move from a workable console area to the (for them anyways) hell of dealing with drivers, system updates, system upgrades, and blah blah.

The general public knows all about PC gaming and what fancy desktops can do, they voted with their wallets against them.

When a thin and light laptop can game properly on peoples TVs and games are made for those and not higher end desktops the general public will care. Till then, they won't. And laptops are rapidly turning into "too much machine for when you aren't at the office" with tablets out now.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Most people are already aware of this.

The problem is that most of the time when people buy a computer now, it's a laptop and thus can't game all that well due to the sort of GPUs in them. Plus people don't want to have to deal with the "hassle" of a computer. Keep in mind that for most people using a computer isn't all that fun. So there is no urge to move from a workable console area to the (for them anyways) hell of dealing with drivers, system updates, system upgrades, and blah blah.

The general public knows all about PC gaming and what fancy desktops can do, they voted with their wallets against them.

When a thin and light laptop can game properly on peoples TVs and games are made for those and not higher end desktops the general public will care. Till then, they won't. And laptops are rapidly turning into "too much machine for when you aren't at the office" with tablets out now.
    thats my point, if u have a pay a few hundred on a desktop and build it yourself or go to a shop to have them build it (unfortunately the OEMs dont give a about properly configuring computers) then u can smash a console in performance for a similar price. then with the TV, i dont think that most people know that u can use a tv as a monitor and have an HTPC/gaming pc that works just like a console or boxee would.

Xtreme Member
    boxeebox:HTPC::steambox:gaming pc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast