Thread: Speaker Configuration Question

Xtreme Member

Speaker Configuration Question

I have two 2.1 systems. The problem you have using multiple 2.1 systems for a computer setup is that you almost never place the speakers behind you. I have one sub-woofers placed on each side of the desk.

Is there any way to dedicated a whole 2.1 speaker system to the right side and the other 2.1 system to the left and still filter each speaker to 5.1 or 7.1? I have the ASUS Xonar HDAV Deluxe card which uses analog plugs with the 3.5mm converter adapter for each set of speakers. I've tried switching one analog plug to another so that I can get one 2.1 set on the right and the other on the left.

This has always puzzled me as to why this isn't the standard. With all the technology available today, you have thought this would be something easy to implement. Does anyone know of any app that can do this?
    Last edited by Bad213Boy; 03-04-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    | NZXT H630 (White) | ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Intel i5 4760K | CORSAIR Dominator GT 8GB @2000MHz Memory | MSI Gaming Twin Force GTX 770 2GB @ Power Limit + %185 | ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe Audio Card | Philips amBX Premium Kit | Nvidia 3D Vision 2 |

c[_]
    Just get a single 3.5 to dual 3.5 channel splitter.

Run the audio ouput in stereo or 2.1 mode since that will downmix all the 5.1/7.1 material to 2.1.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad213Boy View Post
    I have two 2.1 systems. The problem you have using multiple 2.1 systems for a computer setup is that you almost never place the speakers behind you. I have one sub-woofers placed on each side of the desk.

Is there any way to dedicated a whole 2.1 speaker system to the right side and the other 2.1 system to the left and still filter each speaker to 5.1 or 7.1?
    Can you explain that a bit more in detail?

Do you actually want a surround sound setup?

And if you only want two stereo systems with subwoofers (one on the left side, one on the right) then do you want them on at the same time? (I guess "no")

And lastly, what is this used for?
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Member
    Hey that's a great idea. I don't know why I never thought of that. I have an awesome sound card so I could make it do the upmixing to 7.1. Thx man.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    Can you explain that a bit more in detail?

Do you actually want a surround sound setup?

And if you only want two stereo systems with subwoofers (one on the left side, one on the right) then do you want them on at the same time? (I guess "no")

And lastly, what is this used for?
    What he means is that you buy a splitter. It's a 3.5mm adapter with a splitter so you can plug in another speaker.

3.5mm Splitter
    | NZXT H630 (White) | ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Intel i5 4760K | CORSAIR Dominator GT 8GB @2000MHz Memory | MSI Gaming Twin Force GTX 770 2GB @ Power Limit + %185 | ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe Audio Card | Philips amBX Premium Kit | Nvidia 3D Vision 2 |

Xtreme Member
    Hey that's a great idea. I don't know why I never thought of that. I have an awesome sound card so I could make it do the upmixing to 7.1. Thx man.
    With four speakers and two subs you can't get 7.1 in any way shape or form. It's simply impossible. 7.1 requires 7 speakers and 1 sub (which is the ".1" in "7.1). With your setup you could get mono, stereo or quad.

What he means is that you buy a splitter. It's a 3.5mm adapter with a splitter so you can plug in another speaker.
    I know what a splitter is.

I was asking you the questions (not him) so it'd be easier to help you accomplish what you're trying to do.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....