Thread: Running MJ-12 on Linux x64

Xtreme Legend

Running MJ-12 on Linux x64

Now that refic has bundled MJ ready for download I wondered if one of you fine folk (you know who you are) would be kind enough to run through the steps needed to run MJ on a fresh install of one of the Ubuntu derivatives.

I saw and understood the part about adding libraries using;

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Otherwise it will not work.

To prove the system I am currently running WCG and to date apart from having to change voltages for the overclock all is well

I was also advised to;

sudo apt-get install screen

Although I am not sure what this does.

I have downloaded refic's build to my downloads folder but whilst I believe I understand what issues are caused by dependencies I do not know how best to proceed.

If one of you folks would walk me through WHERE to install this and WHY and maybe just as important is HOW (is it just a case of unpack it in a certain place?), once I get things working I will install a second node too and post up a guide if I can.

Reading some of the user guide notes for linux Mint it seems that there can be user defined repositories... Anyone know about this?
    Last edited by OldChap; 03-04-2012 at 06:35 AM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What version of Linux Mint 12 are you using OC? I'm gonna download it and make a video/screenshot guide to make it easy to follow.

Xtreme Legend
    I used the 64bit dvd version here; http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. Installed on ud3r with a 920. 16Gig ram and a 250gig wd 7200 drive. Worked just fine first time and the install is perhaps easier than windows

Bloated? sure, but I thought I could have a closer look at other features once I had MJ running. Also most of the guides out there are for this one as opposed to the kde or lxde versions.

This comes recommended (in front of ubuntu) by one or two sites as a good place to start for windows users too and, with a little help from my friends, I have all my crawling on this on one box now and the future looks good for when my ISP upgrades my connection.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I assume you got it all up and running then?

Xtreme Legend
    Truth be told I was more scared/worried than I needed to be. All the info and more was out there and some of it can be done in a similar way to windows. (this might not be the right way but it is running)

In a nutshell I downloaded, made a dvd and setup from the dvd and after a few moments worry while things set themselves up I ended up on the Mint12 desktop

I browsed around the files and things to start to get to know where to find stuff then opened a command window and did the apt-get installs as from post 1

Then as I was trying to find out about this dependencies thing I used the repositories to down load Boinc which although I believe it is not the latest or even 64bit all went like a charm.

There were issues with bsods running that so adding volts solved the issue

Then I came to Loading MJ

Again, rightly or wrongly, I used the graphical interface to make a new folder in "My user name" and called it MJ 1 then placed a copy of Refic's bundle inside, unpacked it there then deleted the packed copy.

Getting it started was a matter of double clicking the sh. folder (see how much I have been using windows methods )

Then, because I did not quite understand, I had to ask about getting the browser interface working by pressing s in the command window which opened when the program started.

Having finally done that I was able to point to the running instance of MJ by typing the network IP address followed by :1088 from my browser.

This then enabled me to fill in all the necessary details as usual and off it went crawling after a restart (thinking must learn how to re-start properly first next time) (found it in tools eventually )

To start a second node on the same machine I went to options and changed the port number of the running machine then double checked it

Then I went back to where i had put the folder named MJ 1 and put a second called MJ 2 beside it repeating the above for that too

My description is laden with the wrong terminology and there are parts that could do with a little more detail but I can tell you now that if I can do this, and I am a windows only user apart from dos many years ago, just about anyone can.

EDIT just now I am experimenting with how many nodes is best to fill my 50Meg connection and at the same time running the WCG work down to zero in order that I can see how much difference that may make. If not now then when my ISP doubles the speed which should be in April/May I expect that I will add another HDD and run this one box as MJ-12 only

Oh,..... and I am ready to test using a Ramdisk (lets see what I can break this time)
    Last edited by OldChap; 03-10-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It sounds like you did it perfectly OC I saw you mention you had archiving failures on Alex's forum? I too had major archiving failure problems and what fixed it for me was setting higher access permissions for a couple of files in the MJ12 directory. If you're still having those archiving failures I can post the commands to set the permissions here.

Xtreme Legend
    Just keeping an eye on things for a bit. you have to remember it could be me doing things (or trying to) that caused the issue in the first place.

I joined the Mint forum with a view to asking some mint specific questions about dependencies and setting up Ramdisk so I will report back here if I get any good tips. Where I expected to be able to set it up (/mnt) was rejected in the command line but I later found tmpfs in the run folder and apart from setting more of the variables in the command at start up (I need to learn more) it seems to be running although not making a lot of difference because I need another disk at least. Not falling behind on archiving though... maybe because I have it as "above normal"

I only have a couple more weeks to get this right before I have to start cramming for my Inspection and Testing exams.

Edit: Can you point me at any good tutorials about dependencies?

Xtreme Legend
    I think it would be interesting for you to post that permissions thing as when I looked up the problem that mono keeps warning about on other forums the general consensus was that that too is a permissions thing

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry for replying so late I'm not well-read in Linux enough to give the details on dependencies, though Refic is a master For the permissions commands, it is recommended to do them even if you don't have any archiving failures right now but as a preventative measure.

Here are the steps:

1. Open the folder in which the node resides(where the .exe's are and the misc. folders - Data, logs, etc)
    2. Open a command window within that folder.
    3. Type in the following commands(file names are case sensitive) and press enter after each one(you may be asked for administrator password, type pw in at prompt and hit enter again)

Code:
    chmod u+x MJ12nodeMono.exe

chmod u+x MJ12barMono.exe
    Now exit out of that command window and open the folder called "tmp". Open a command window in that folder and enter these commands:

Code:
    chmod u+x bar.tmp

chmod u+x bar_pro.tmp
    Note: the second file above(bar_pro.tmp) may not exist unless the node has been run for a while. If either file does not show up in the 'tmp' folder, let the node run until 1 or both are created and then execute these commands.

Xtreme Legend
    For interest I tried this on a single node to see if it would solve the (non fatal) _wapi_connect_error.

The answer is: No.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The wapi_connect_error is completely harmless/ignorable...annoying to see but doesn't affect the node at all