Thread: Gigabyte X79-UD3 motherboard review

Xtreme Member

Gigabyte X79-UD3 motherboard review

The UD3 marks Gigabytes entry level Socket 2011 motherboard. It is positioned as their lowest priced offering and is priced competitively with other manufacturer’s entry level boards.

What we really need to remember is that socket 2011 is Intel’s high end desktop platform, and so entry level here does not mean the same thing as it does on socket 1155.

The 2011 brings with it 40 PCI-Express 3.0 lanes as well as Quad Channel DDR3 support at speeds up to 2133Mhz. This improves greatly on the socket 1155 with its dual channel and only 16 PCI-Express lanes.

What it means in the case of the UD3 is that you get a well equipped motherboard that is capable of running up to 4 way CrossfireX or 4 way SLI, right out of the box without any add-on chips. Gigabyte claims full PCI-E Gen 3 support.

Board Layout and Features

Looking at the board, Gigabyte is continuing their trend of satin black PCBs for the performance oriented boards, and I must admit I do like this trend. The grey heat sink offsets the black nicely, and gives he board a more expensive look.

There are 12 SATA ports in total on the X79-UD3:
    6 supplied by the Intel X79 Chipset, 2 of which are SATA 3 specification.
    4 SATA 3 connected to Marvell 88SE9172 chips.
    2 ESATA 3 ports also fed by a Marvell 88SE9172.

The SATA ports are color coded. White is for the Intel supplied SATA 3 ports. Black is for the Intel supplied SATA 2 ports and grey indicate ports supplied by the add on Marvell chips.

There are 8 USB 2.0 ports (red)on the back panel as well as an additional 2 USB 3.0 ports (blue) in the middle connected via a Fresco FL1009 chip for a total of 10 USB ports on the rear panel. Along with Optical and Coaxial Audio Outputs and 6 minijack plug for analogue audi connections. There are no Firewire ports on this board.

The ESATA ports mentioned earlier are along the lower edge, also blue in color.

There are additional headers on the board for 6 more USB 2.0 ports, COM port as well as HD Audio.

An additional header for 2 more USB 3.0 ports. If your case supports the new USB 3.0 connector you will be able to take advantage of this. However the motherboard did not come with an additional USB 3.0 bracket.

This should be enough storage and connectivity for most users.

The expansion slots on the board are configured as follows:

2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_2)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1, PCIEX8_2)
    * The PCIEX8_2 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When the PCIEX8_2 slot is populated, the PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.
    (All PCI Express x16 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

2 x PCI Express x1 slots
    (All PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

1 x PCI slot

So if you were running 4 way SLI or Crossfire, the cards would run @ 16x, 8x, 8x, 8x.

There is plenty of space between the two PCI-E 16 slots so your video cards will have lots of room to breath if you are running a two card setup. This is well thought out. Gigabyte even provides you the longer crossfire bridge to ensure you have one that can reach over two slots. After that things tighten up and, like any board that supports more than two cards, the breathing room will be somewhat restricted. You will want excellent case ventilation in that situation. In any case, Gigabyte provides the necessary SLI bridges as well, including 3way and 4 way bridges.
    Suprisingly there are no additional power connectors on the board to feed the additional PCI-E slots. All other Gigabyte board I have used in the past included at least one additional power connector when more than two way multi card setups are possible.

The heat sink mount spacing shares the same footprint as socket 1366, however, the mounting is different and you may require adaptors in order to use older heat sinks. Be sure that the heat sink you purchase is specifically designed for socket 2011. Otherwise you may end up with an overheating CPU. Notice that teh holes do not go through the board. The holes are threaded to accept the proper fasteners for a socket 2011 mount.

For my testing I started off with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO but switched over to myXSPC RASA kit for the duration of the testing. This worked out well as I was able to use some of the mounting hardware from the Coolermaster in order to mount my water block.

The area around the CPU socket is filled with four ram slots. Two on either side of the socket. The UD3 only allows a single stick of ram per channel. For up to 32Gb of ram.
    There is also a heat sink on the MOSFETS above the socket. Be cautious of tall ram sinks with large heatpipe coolers. This is common now and RAM manufacturers are coming out with low profile versions of DDR3 to help with clearance issues.

The X79 PCH is covered by a large flat, well finned heat sink. It did get a bit warm during testing, but never very hot as long as there was even the slightest airflow over it.

There are 5 fan headers on the board for all your cooling needs. 3 of which are speed controlled through the BIOS smart fan settings. This should be more than adequate for most users.

BIOS

Speaking of BIOS settings, the X79 series from Gigabyte are the first to incorporate their new UEFI 3D BIOS. Here is what Gigabyte has to say about this feature:

“At the heart of this exciting 3D BIOS technology is a pair of 8MB physical BIOS ROMs containing GIGABYTE's exclusive in-house designed UEFI BIOS technology. With a superior graphical interface capable of 32-bit color imaging and fluid user-friendly mouse navigation, UEFI DualBIOS™ makes BIOS configuration a new and exciting experience for novice and experienced users alike. UEFI BIOS also brings native support for large hard drives on 64-bit operating systems.”

Basically it is a new fully graphical BIOS interface that has two different modes. One is a more basic mode that uses a visual representation of the motherboard. When you hover the mouse over various areas they are highlighted. Highlighted areas are mouse clickable and open basic menus for changing some of the more common items related to the area highlighted.

More information and a video demonstartion can be found here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/30...s/3d-bios.html

There is also a more advanced mode that gives a bit more of a traditional layout and separates the various groups of settings much like a more traditional BIOS. This includes separating the tweaking and tuning section under the traditional Gigabyte M.I.T. heading.

The overall BIOS interface is far different from Gigabytes old traditional setup. And Gigabyte has taken a bit of flak in the past for being slow to adopt the graphical interface now used by so many others.
    Now that they have, they have taken a slightly different approach and gone an extra step to provide a user interface that combines the best of both worlds as well as taking it a step forward.
    I will admit that the mouse action within the BIOS can be a bit “clunky” and it sometimes takes me several clicks to actually get into the menu I am trying to open. But this is a relatively minor issue and one that is easily adjusted to. The keyboard can also be used to navigate the BIOS.

Gigabyte also continues with their TouchBIOS utility, which allows the changing of bios settings from within windows. No more pounding the delete key trying to get into the BIOS settings. You can simply make the changes you want and then just reboot for the settings to take effect.

Overclocking

I was originally waiting for the i7 3820 to be launched, and 3930k’s seemed impossible to find. Luckily about 3 days after I received the UD3, my local computer shop had a 3930K in stock.
    I scooped it up as it was the only one they had.

Overclocking was pretty straight forward. As this is a K series chip, the multiplier is fully unlocked so, much like a Sandy Bride chip, you can just play with multipliers and voltage until you find that sweet spot between performance and power/heat.
    Make no mistake, if you have any intention of overclocking a socket 2011 chip, you better have good cooling. These chips have a 130W TDP and when pushed hard with voltage the heat ramps up quickly. With this particular chip 4.5 GHz was as easy as a slight voltage bump to 1.38V and a change in the multi to 45.
    Temperatures remained pretty manageable at this setting as well. Under My XSPC Rasa RS240 water cooling kit, temperatures rarely exceeded 60C even during prolonged benchmarking sessions.
    Further experimentation pushed the clocks up as high as 5.040Ghz, but voltages and temperatures were well above what I would feel comfortable with on a day to day basis, and I do not recommend Vcore voltages over 1.4V unless you have excellent cooling.

Here is the validation link to my highest possible overclock.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2241365

Notice the fact that it is at 126Mhz bus speed? That is because X79 allows you to make changes to the bus speed and multiplier, unlike socket 1055 which really only allows you to move a few mhz away from teh standard 100mhz.
    X79 has straps which allow base settings of 100, 125 and 166mhz. This should help you to find the sweet spot with ram speeds as well as improving overclocking with multiplier locked CPUs.

My chip is definitely not a “Golden” chip. I had to push way too much voltage through it in order to get much past 4.6Ghz. I think the sweet spot for this particular setup would be 4.5Ghz as I was able to achieve that easily and my core temperatures were well under control.

For the performance comparisons I will use 4.5Ghz for the overclocked numbers compared to the stock clocks.

Test Setup:

Gigabyte X79-UD3
    Intel i7 3930K
    Corsair Force 3 60Gb SSD x2 for RAID0
    AMD Diamond HD7970
    4 X 2 GB DDR3 1600 Gskill RipjawsX
    XSPC RASA RS240 Watercooling kit

All testing was completed on an open bench with some strategically located fans to keep airflow over the heat sinks and RAM.

2D Tests
    All tests were completed with the 7970 at stock speed.

Cinebench 11.5
    Here is a screen shot of Cinebench 11.5 showing a chart that has a few other CPUs for comparison. Cinebench does not properly detect the CPU speeds on Sandy Bridge or Sandy Bridge-E CPUs. The Overclocked speed in the chart is 4.5Ghz. As you can see, even compared to an i7 970, this platform shows a substantial increase in performance at the same clock speeds.

X264 Bench 4.0

Stock:
    Pass 1
    ------
    encoded 1442 frames, 167.46 fps, 3913.50 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 166.07 fps, 3913.50 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 165.54 fps, 3913.50 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 170.55 fps, 3913.50 kb/s

Pass 2
    ------
    encoded 1442 frames, 53.31 fps, 3956.04 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 52.78 fps, 3955.37 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 53.25 fps, 3955.83 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 53.31 fps, 3956.98 kb/s

Overclocked (4.5Ghz):
    Pass 1
    ------
    encoded 1442 frames, 211.53 fps, 3913.50 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 214.97 fps, 3913.50 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 212.50 fps, 3913.50 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 212.50 fps, 3913.50 kb/s

Pass 2
    ------
    encoded 1442 frames, 66.75 fps, 3956.93 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 67.03 fps, 3957.96 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 67.92 fps, 3956.82 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 67.92 fps, 3955.39 kb/s

The CPU seems to scale very well. This is the CPU to have if you are into video encoding. 12 threads burn through video like a hot knife through butter.

PCmark05

Stock: 27063marks http://3dmark.com/pcm05/3142811

Overclocked (4.5Ghz): 34105 http://3dmark.com/pcm05/3142825

3D Tests
    All tests were completed with the 7970 at stock speed.

3Dmark Vantage

Stock: 32420 http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3932476

Overclocked (4.5Ghz): 36127 http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3932576

3Dmark11

Stock: 8996 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2875075

Overclocked (4.5Ghz): 9250 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2875350

Storage Tests.

Tests were completed with 2 60Gb Corsair Force 3 SSDs in Raid0 with a stripe size of 64K.

AS SSD

Write Caching on

Write Caching OFF

ATTO

Write Caching on

Write Caching Off

Conclusion

As you can see by the benchmarks, this setup is no slouch. The combination of Intel i7 3930K, HD 7970 and Gigabyte X79-UD3 is a powerful machine even at stock settings.

The UD3 has a very good list of features, especially at its price point. The addition of extra SATA ports and USB3 ensures that the value for the money remains excellent.

The UD3, while being among the less expensive boards for Socket 2011, delivers solid performance as well as an excellent base for overclocking. The board was extremely stable throughout my testing and recovered well from any settings it couldn’t handle. I only had to clear CMOS a few times when pushing the CPU beyond what its capabilities were.

If you are in the market for a new socket 2011 system, and don’t want to break the bank on a motherboard, I highly recommend you take a look at the Gigabyte X79-UD3.

Now that Intel has released the i7 3820 Quad core for this platform, you can get quad channel DDR3, as well as full 16X PCI-E for two way Crossfire/SLI as well as the ability to run up to 4 Way Crossfire or SLI, all for only a few dollars more than an equivalent socket 1155 setup.

This should bring a lot of the enthusiast market around to Socket 2011, as Intel intended this platform for that market specifically.

Gigabyte has another winner here and I am sure that sales of this particular board will only increase now that there is an affordable CPU available to compliment this less expensive X79 based motherboard.

And in case you were wondering about this board’s potential for overclocking… Hicookie set the world record on one of these boards!

http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/20...30x-world.html

I think that should answer the question!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the review, any cold boot loop like the z68 gigaboards?
    Gigagyte Z68X-UD3P
    i7 2600k@4.6/1.35v
    GSkill Rippers 2133
    MSI 7870@1275/1450
    Antec Kuhler 920

Xtreme Member
    Nope. Although i must admit, i never had the problem on any of my Z68 boards either. Although i have seen it mentioned a lot.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice review Kirbster! Which BIOS did you use for the review?

Did you have any luck with your CPU on 1.66 or 2.50 strap? I haven't had any luck on those yet with a 3820, even tried the straps with higher and lower actual Bclk and no dice, but I haven't went cold yet either. I think Intel just put them there to make us feel good, like "here, you should be able to overclock now with these" and then only one additional one is usable (1.25) for 98% of CPU's. I've seen a few get 1.66 going, but no one with 2.50 going yet. Maybe Intel just need to release the info to manufacturer so they can add in the required BIOS setting and or microcode update for these straps to work (something like CPU PLL Overvoltage II), maybe they are currently leaving out CPU PLL Overvolt II setting like they did initially with P67.

@ B-Shot - These boards bootup fast, you'll miss getting into the BIOS if you don't pay attention. And no bootloop or startup issues, even when it crashes due to being pushed too hard they recover nicely almost 99% of the time!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-03-2012 at 11:00 PM.

I am Xtreme
    no 5ghz? come on...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Man all these new motherboards are making me want to build a new system haha

nice review!
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    And no bootloop or startup issues, even when it crashes due to being pushed too hard they recover nicely almost 99% of the time!
    Are you sure about that statement ? my UD3 has just arrived, I hope you are right as the UD5 was far from enjoyable when being pushed.

@Kirbster : For the push for high voltage, have you tested that CPU on another board ? might give surprising results on air/water...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 03-04-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ya, I haven't had major issues at all when pushing, maybe a time or two when trying to boot 2600 memory or 160/250 Bclk, but a quick CMOS clear fixes that right up. It's nothing like P67 or Z68 when you push and crash it and would take several methods or many tries to clear it out.

The 3820 CPU I have so far hasn't been able to boot very high (on water), so that may be why I haven't seen any major issues, as I can't push it super hard and get anywhere. This CPU only seems to reach 4.87 on water no matter how you go at it, and can only boot 23xx memory, so pushing hard hasn't got me anywhere really clock-wise or stuck in crash modes either. I've only had very minimal recovery issues where it might loop over and over but when I see it go past three or four times I just clear the CMOS, but generally it'll try a few times and fail and then just recover right back to the BIOS with an expected failed OC message, and of course once you clear the CMOS you're right back into the BIOS too. Maybe the issues you had with UD5 was specific to that board, or just due to the older BIOSes?

Like Kirbster, I also never had boot loop or cold boot looping issues on P67 or Z68 either, but I am aware there was issues, just could never test them myself because the boards I had never seem to be affected. Pushing on those boards is another story, and of course that was difficult at times, especially on the lower end models with no debug readout so you could see if it was stuck or going to eventually reboot properly or not, like you can on the high end models. And clearing the CMOS on those for me often involved also having to pull the battery and cut power, otherwise CMOS would never clear, so ya those did have some pushing issues and I've not seen anything like that on the X79-UD3 yet. I'll be taking it cold soon though, so if there is any issues I'm sure I'll find them then
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-04-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Xtreme Supporter
    Nice review, thanks. Generally seems to be a good board for the price and more affordable now that the CPUs are within budget.

@Lsdmeasap I will be looking out for a very fast cold 2011 then soon! Should be interesting.
    Official Gigabyte UK Forum Moderator

Xtreme Member
    I was using Bios F9b mostly. Until the official f9 bios came out. Benches were all done on f9.
    Definitely no boot loop issues.

There is a 5ghz validation there Honda! But I couldn't keep it there long.

I have not had a chance to try any other boards yet. But have noticed many overclocked with significantly lower voltage than what I was able to use.

There is a good chance my C2 chip is already suffering some degradation as I was never able to go back to 5 ghz after that one round of benches. Temperatures always remained below 80c.

I may have to do the performance warranty with this chip. Once I get another motherboard I will know for sure.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mantis View Post
    @Lsdmeasap I will be looking out for a very fast cold 2011 then soon! Should be interesting.
    Will be only phase, so might not be too awful fast

Quote Originally Posted by kirbster1966 View Post
    I was using Bios F9b mostly. Until the official f9 bios came out. Benches were all done on f9.
    Definitely no boot loop issues.
    Thanks for the BIOS info! I was using F9b too I think, but just updated to F9 when it came out, they both seem about the same to me - which is fine BIOS I think.

I agree, there's not really and looping issues with these boards that I've seen, and very fast bootup compared to P67/Z68!

What bios is this currently shipping with? I'm considering pairing this with a 3820 though it says on the giga product page it's not compatible with f7. http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downl....aspx?pid=4050
    Last edited by Kroegs; 04-03-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Mine came with f7, it did not officially support the newer stepping CPUs, but mine booted right up. O problem then flashed to f9.

Cool thanks! I saw this on another video review as well. Amazingly the guy was still on f7 when he was running his at 4.5ghz with 1.398v. Not too shabby if you ask me. This board looks like a real step ahead for giga. Bang for buck with very little scare factor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Wf3yRc9H0

I am Xtreme
    Tested the UD3. And indeed to my pleasant surprise it has no weird boot loops as my UD5 sample had... Maybe the UD5 was a malfunctioning board. Very strange, as the UD3 is rock solid and behaves totally diferent...

4.75 is even doable Kroegz at +/- them volts...

Indeed a very solid and affordable X79 board, me like
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Tested the UD3. And indeed to my pleasant surprise it has no weird boot loops as my UD5 sample had... Maybe the UD5 was a malfunctioning board. Very strange, as the UD3 is rock solid and behaves totally diferent...

4.75 is even doable Kroegz at +/- them volts...

Indeed a very solid and affordable X79 board, me like
    100% agree, good value in an X79 Board...

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    pretty nice. ive been drooling over 3930k and this board for a while now. heres a question: is the marvell sata3 controller the same controller for all 4 ports or is it 2 controllers? can you span a raid0 across the 4 ports?

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Member
    According to the specs there are 3 marvel chips supporting 4 Sata and 2 esata. So it sounds like you can only raid in pairs.

@Leeghoofd That's a real nice 24/7 oc! Though it's still pretty impressive they can have an unsupported bios version running an oc. Like you said, it really sounds rock solid.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbster1966 View Post
    According to the specs there are 3 marvel chips supporting 4 Sata and 2 esata. So it sounds like you can only raid in pairs.
    I am disappoint.

Thanks though. It's probably a good thing I'm not (yet) in the market for LGA2011.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's