Thread: Need help configuring DMZ with Comcrap Arris modem and Netgear router

Xtreme Member

Need help configuring DMZ with Comcrap Arris modem and Netgear router

Okay, here's the skinny:

Comcast Arris TM722 modem giving out local IP to PC of 98.226.158.156 when PC is hooked directly into it.

I cannot for the life of me connect to the modem to acces or change any settings and am unsure how to do so if it's even possible on this POS.

Trying to use Netgear WNR1000 v2 to setup DMZ so I can host PC game servers for me and friends.

I have the ip addresse specified and reserved ( 192.168.1.9 ) for the desktop I am using which is hooked directly into the WNR1000.

DMZ is not working, is it because the router is on 192.168.1.xxx while the modem is trying to use 98.226.158.xxx for a local addresse? If so what should I set the Netgear router to?
    Last edited by WARDOZER9; 03-01-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    Currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with Misery 2.1.1 and being miserable the entire time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the router should have a external ip address and an internal ip address. the external ip would get the information that your pc currently has with 98.226.158.156 etc the internal ip would probably be 192.168.1.1 or .1.2 and then you can continue with 192.168.xxx.xxx on the internal side since the router will do the nat. you can also try to find your gateways ip. your isp could be helpful there. it might be something like xxx.xxx.xxx.155 or .150 or .100 in your case. isp's are pretty predictable. they usually set gateways at ip waypoints or halfway points and then lease the following ip's.

unless you absolutely need to set a DMZ for whatever reason i would not recommend it. especially for a gaming server. you are leaving the barn doors open and have an open invitation for trouble.

Xtreme Member
    I only switch to DMZ when trying to host but while it's not working the DMZ is disabled. Just that I noticed some games are way way easier to setup an online game server when a PC is setup with DMZ.
    Currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with Misery 2.1.1 and being miserable the entire time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it is worth the effort to find out what ports or port ranges these games actually use and just open those.

did you get the rest of the configuration figured out?