Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Buying SeaMicro for $334 Million

Xtreme Member

AMD Buying SeaMicro for $334 Million

Advanced Micro Devices on Wednesday announced a deal to acquire startup SeaMicro, a maker of microservers and data center fabric technology, for $334 million. SeaMicro chief executive Andrew Feldman will become general manager of a newly formed AMD business unit called Data Center Server Solutions.
    "SeaMicro's leading-edge fabric technology together with AMD Opteron processors point the way to a compelling roadmap for the cloud data center market," said Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager of AMD's Global Business Units, in a dis
    cussion with reporters at the chip maker's Sunnyvale, Calif. headquarters ahead of the announcement.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401008,00.asp
    Faceman

Xtreme Enthusiast
    obligatory post making fun of AMD's financial situation:

Wait, this means AMD has money?
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16gb @ stock
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: Evga GTX 1080 FTW, Coil Whine edition
    PSU: Corsair RMi 650w
    Cooling: Please don't remind me. Corsair H115i w/Arctic P14 PWM fans.
    HDD: 970 Pro, 860 Evo, WD 1tb 3 platter drive (12 years old?!), etc.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by breakfromyou View Post

No, you can acquire other companies trough other deals, like share exchange or take a new loan to buy it.

But in this case I think, they just used the money from the settlement with intel.

Bit surprised that AMD managed to buy yet another company for quite a large sum despite their recent fiascos, but its nice to see AMD acquiring a company which will benefit them.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    No, you can acquire other companies trough other deals, like share exchange or take a new loan to buy it.

But in this case I think, they just used the money from the settlement with intel.
    Must've missed that, which settlement?
    Why yes, yes I do use Koolance..*Flame Wall Inbound*

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jesus View Post
    Must've missed that, which settlement?
    AMD v. Intel

amd received 1.25b from intel back in 2010
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post

I'm guessing this was only possible due to the (slightly) improving economy and was some sort of leveraged buyout

Quote Originally Posted by generics_user View Post
    AMD v. Intel

amd received 1.25b from intel back in 2010
    I still think it's biting them in the ass that they sold out so quickly in their lawsuit, but as I recall they really had no choice but to take whatever Intel offered at the time to survive
    Last edited by AliG; 03-01-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Hmm, I must've missed that. Not bad and definitely true.

Xtreme Addict
    How does AMD benefit by competing with their major server customers like HP, Dell, IBM ? All of these have shown interest in high density, low power servers, some are even selling rebadged Seamicro units or developing systems of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    How does AMD benefit by competing with their major server customers like HP, Dell, IBM ? All of these have shown interest in high density, low power servers, some are even selling rebadged Seamicro units or developing systems of their own.
    They probably aren't planning on competing with them, just selling them the software SeaMicro developed to mesh multiple servers together as one.

And compete with ARM.

I think you answered your own question.

They will continue to meet OEM demand for the Intel platforms (but, for how long? ).

I suspect they will integrate Seamicro IP into Opteron designs, and also develop their own low-power enterprise solutions (one of the new VPs is into this hybrid RISC/CISC design thing).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by breakfromyou View Post

They have some, they've paid down their debt significantly. I'm sure they are able to secure favorable financing.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Cruncher
    "But, but, but AMD haz no monies" cries all the doom and gloom merchants, tears of Intel blue rolling down there faces and down there neck beards
    "h-h-how can it be" more cries are heard

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    Nice move AMD - when you will try to buy Nvidia and end up like Porsche vs. Volkswagen?!
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Xtreme Addict
    ^^ yeah straight after VW also purchased the rights to manufacture Buggati and then made the Veyron, god I love that things moving at over 400Km/h (317mph)

Xtreme Addict
    They probably aren't planning on competing with them, just selling them the software SeaMicro developed to mesh multiple servers together as one.

And compete with ARM.
    Software ? It runs industry standard software. The whole thing is about HW, their expertise is in the interconnect and cramming the CPUs with their node controllers on tiny boards.

How do they compete with ARM ? What ARM branded servers are in the market ? HP for one, is making ARM servers. That means they will compete with HP. Very smart move..

Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post
    I think you answered your own question.

They will continue to meet OEM demand for the Intel platforms (but, for how long? ).

I suspect they will integrate Seamicro IP into Opteron designs, and also develop their own low-power enterprise solutions (one of the new VPs is into this hybrid RISC/CISC design thing).
    The last thing AMD needs is to develop " their own enterprise solutions". Nothing is worse then competing with your own customers, especially when they are 10-20 times your size.

The fool at the head, spent $300m on a very doubtful acquisition which doesn't help any of AMD's major concerns :
    -solutions for the fast growth smartphone/tablet market
    -developing a new high performance desktop/server uarch to keep them in the game in the long term
    -accelerate their transition to GPGPU enabled solutions comparable to Nvidia's stack;

c[_]
    Software ? It runs industry standard software. The whole thing is about HW, their expertise is in the interconnect and cramming the CPUs with their node controllers on tiny boards.

How do they compete with ARM ? What ARM branded servers are in the market ? HP for one, is making ARM servers. That means they will compete with HP. Very smart move..

The last thing AMD needs is to develop " their own enterprise solutions". Nothing is worse then competing with your own customers, especially when they are 10-20 times your size.

The fool at the head, spent $300m on a very doubtful acquisition which doesn't help any of AMD's major concerns :
    -developing a new high performance desktop/server uarch to keep them in the game in the long term
    -accelerate their transition to GPGPU enabled solutions comparable to Nvidia's stack;
    Because you know everything AMD has and is doing thats not public/investor knowledge apparently.

Your criticism is hardly ever balanced :/

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member

One of SeaMicro's key innovations is a "fabric" that hooks up thousands of processors, memory units, and storage devices into a sensible whole for cloud computing. Rather than trying to compete with its own server-building customers, AMD may well offer them SeaMicro's platform on license and seek to recoup its $330 million investment that way.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Intel makes their own server stuff.. It is reliable and relatively cheap. I have no problem with AMD doing the same.
    2x Dual E5 2670, 32 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 2xSeagate Constellation ES 2TB, 1KW PSU
    HP Envy 17" - i7 2630 QM, HD6850, 8 GB.
    i7 3770, GF 650, 8 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 6x3 TB. 850W PSU

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Because you know everything AMD has and is doing thats not public/investor knowledge apparently.

The board ousted Meyer for failling miserably to adress two growth opportunities :
    - smartphone/tablet space
    - servers

What they did, doesn't improve their competitive position in either. In servers, they are competing with their own major customers and the market for this kind of servers is tiny.

Your criticism is hardly ever balanced :/
    There is a thing called critical thinking, questioning what you see and what you're told... Why don't you activate it for a moment and think on the bigger scheme of things ? What are AMD's weaknesses and how exactly does this acquisition solves them ? How does this affect AMD's damaged reputation with server makers ? Their market share is the lowest ever since Opteron made it's debut in 2003. Don't you think this has something to do with the major servers vendors ? How does buying Seamicro improve the relationship with them ?

One of SeaMicro's key innovations is a "fabric" that hooks up thousands of processors, memory units, and storage devices into a sensible whole for cloud computing. Rather than trying to compete with its own server-building customers, AMD may well offer them SeaMicro's platform on license and seek to recoup its $330 million investment that way.
    FYI, that's been done since Cray and SGI pioneered HPC. The difference is to do it with low-cost components in a power optimized system. Servers vendors suffer from the NIH syndrome, if any one of the major players thought Seamicro IP and design were valuable, they would have bought them a long time ago. Do you suppose either IBM, HP, Dell, Fujitsu, Cisco or Oracle did not have $300m at hand ?

If they didn't buy it/licensed it themselves, what incentive do they have to buy a license from AMD ?

Quote Originally Posted by R101 View Post
    Intel makes their own server stuff.. It is reliable and relatively cheap. I have no problem with AMD doing the same.
    And it's being sold to whitebox makers who sell you the server and offer you a Linux or Windows CD with it. Does selling Seamicro servers seem like a similar business model to you ?

Xtreme Mentor
    We all know the AMD's biggest problem : Execution. Time to deliver to market.
    If AMD don't resolve that, they will continue lagging behind blue team who got 2 nodes in advance.

Xtreme Enthusiast

And it's being sold to whitebox makers who sell you the server and offer you a Linux or Windows CD with it. Does selling Seamicro servers seem like a similar business model to you ?
    It seems to me that Seamicro is an ok partner for starting something similar.
    2x Dual E5 2670, 32 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 2xSeagate Constellation ES 2TB, 1KW PSU
    HP Envy 17" - i7 2630 QM, HD6850, 8 GB.
    i7 3770, GF 650, 8 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 6x3 TB. 850W PSU

Xtreme Addict
    now I have never played with server boards, for those like Stevil and Dave, do you think in your own opinion this acquisition will help AMD's server segment?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    We all know the AMD's biggest problem : Execution. Time to deliver to market.
    If AMD don't resolve that, they will continue lagging behind blue team who got 2 nodes in advance.
    I think the execution problem stems more from lack of monetary resources compared to Intel. Just look at both companies R&D budgets and see how insignificant AMD is compared to Intel in development. AMD does some truly amazing work for the funds they spend.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    now I have never played with server boards, for those like Stevil and Dave, do you think in your own opinion this acquisition will help AMD's server segment?
    Possibly, as well as adding a patent portfolio to avoid expensive legal litigation.

Also the fact that some of the management worked for AMD plays a large role into this acquisition.

but ya know, i've got no critical thinking..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast