Thread: condensation how to avoid

condensation how to avoid

i plan to make a custom chiller for my rig --to cool down the 975ee which is oc @ 4.5ghz ..thing is --how to avoid condensation , currently i am in pakistan and the weather here is going to turn hot quite soon --if i do make the chiller ---how do i avoid condensation and how do i protect the compononts inside.

is there a way for us to avoid condensation and to keep the water cool at the same time , i dont want to go to extreme temps but under load if i get even e.g 40-50c its good enough for me under prime 95 for heavy gaming benchmarking etc.

would appreciatre some help here

Xtreme Addict
    Well, any time you're under the ambient (room) temperature you may be at the dewpoint, depending on your humidity.

I don't know how humid Pakistan is. If it's a 'dry heat' you'll get less condensation, and you can check online the dewpoint in your area so you can be sure about it.

Something you can consider instead of chilling, is air conditioning/directed.

That is, mod the panel of your PC, and the AC unit you can get (a window unit can be ideal, or a portable really) and use a hose to the PC. If you can ensure that the hose supply of air is large enough, and the air intake is strong enough, and that all other fans are 'out' with only the AC cold air 'in' then you'll be safe as long as it's running.

The air coming from an AC unit is cold/dried air. The moisture is removed.

So when it's supplying air it's already removing the water. Your only issue is when it's turned off, if regular/humid air goes into the case and it's pretty humid it can condense water while the case/components are still cold.

But it's an idea mod where humidity is relatively high. You don't need to change much, just mod the side panel with a large air duct. Chillers are prettier (or can be) but if you run the probe where it usually would be, reading the warmer room air, you can get a 2-5c air supply. With a good heatsink you'll get similar clocks to a chiller, and have all other components cooled as well.

So it's an option if you wanted a potentially easier setup to deal with.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WCG Cruncher
    Look in the dry ice and phase-change cooling sub-forums. There are several excellent insulation guides.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp