Thread: New 120mm rad metal shavings + rattling

Xtreme Member

New 120mm rad metal shavings + rattling

I just received an EK 120mm XT and was about to perform a flush of it before installing it in my system when i noticed rattling inside. I took out the plugs, shook it out a bit and quite a bit of metal shavings came out. It sounds as if there is an equal amount in the other end of the radiator as well, but there's no way to remove those. I also have a new EK 140.2 and there is zero rattling or metal shavings.

Has anyone else encountered something like this before? It was not purchased directly from EK, but it's definitely getting sent back to the company I purchased it from. Had lots of various radiators over the years and never seen anything like this before. I usually just order from EK directly, but I tacked this on to an order from another site.

Last edited by kgk; 02-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Xtreme Member
    That's interesting, this isn't shaping up to be a great day for EK in the liquid cooling section. I have seen this happen on other rads, but a flush got the rest out :/
    Why yes, yes I do use Koolance..*Flame Wall Inbound*

Xtreme Member
    Well the radiator I ordered direct from EK, a 140.2, has no rattling or particulate matter. The 120mm was purchased from a third party site when I was tacking on stuff like sleeving/tubing/etc. Maybe I just got a bad unit. I'm going to contact EK about just exchanging it directly with them since I trust them more with sending me a functioning unit. It will also be the absolute last time I purchase from anywhere but EK directly for their products (should have to begin with)

I was going to flush it with warm water or a warm water/vinegar mix to see if I could flush it out. But then I'm worried that if I try to do that and it doesn't work that they won't exchange it as it's been "used" and try to dodge the warranty. It's annoying because I need it for my CPU/chipset loop that I was hoping to set up today and this will mean another 3-4 days of delay.

I'm worried that the particulates that are rattling in the far end of the rad won't be flushed through the rather small piping or possibly become lodged, inhibiting flow/cooling and potentially breaking off in the future and ruining a pump.
    Last edited by kgk; 02-27-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Did a few flushes with warm water and nothing.

The thing sounds like a flipping baby rattle. This thing is getting sent back to Aquatuning (yes I am aware of their trademark trolling, but they are the only place with some specialty parts in the EU). It had all the EK stickers and box seals in tact, so I don't think it had been tampered with or resold as a returned unit.

I'll just order a 120mm directly from EK as soon as their website is back up and add specific instructions to screen it for rattles. EK has always been crazy fast with shipping to where I live so at least it'll only be a day. Never had any problems with products that I've ordered from them directly.
    Last edited by kgk; 02-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.

I am Xtreme
    As much as I despise AT/Phobya/Alphacool, I have to say, not their fault. There is equal opportunity to get the same problem in a rad from EK directly as from any reseller as it was a bad rad from Manu that got by QC/QA. It happens from time to time, not really much you can do about it but try and return it. It's likely just a blob of solder that broke loose (probably after QC/QA checks) in transit.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    I would say its from tapping the threads on that rad. Maybe, when I went by there so called "quality control", the threads where effed, so they tapped them again. All the debris just fell into the tanks. Also, on the other side, I would assume they did a bad prep job of the brass before soldering. If the pieces are properly prepared for solder, that stuff wont stick too well, and it will fall into the tanks. Once it is in there, it isn't coming out.

he said the rattling was in the end without the nozzles if you'd actually read what he posted. so it couldn't have been from tapping the threads

I am Xtreme
    Are you kidding me TJ? Maybe YOU should ACTUALLY read MY post. Tbe part that CLEARLY says "the other side". Or did you not read the OPs post. Looks like a big chunk of solder. NOW IF YOU READ MY POSF, LET ALONE THIS ONE, YOU WILL SEE WHY...

I build radiators. Its my job, its my hobby.

GTFO.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
    Are you kidding me TJ? Maybe YOU should ACTUALLY read MY post. Tbe part that CLEARLY says "the other side". Or did you not read the OPs post. Looks like a big chunk of solder. NOW IF YOU READ MY POSF, LET ALONE THIS ONE, YOU WILL SEE WHY...

I build radiators. Its my job, its my hobby.

GTFO.
    re...

...lax
    [3960X 4.8GHz 1.35v] [32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133] [EVGA GTX 680 SLI] [ASUS RIVE] [Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB R0]
    [EK Supreme HF] [EK RIVE Full Board Kit] [Coolgate 120.3 + 120.1] [4 x Scythe GT D1225C12B5AP-15] [BitsPower Compression] [MCP655]
    [3 x Acer S231HL LED 5760 x 1080 2d Surround]

I am Xtreme
    Well... If the guy wasn't a hypocrite. Telling me to read the OP's post (which I clearly did) when he doesn't even read my post (which he clearly did not)...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
    Well... If the guy wasn't a hypocrite. Telling me to read the OP's post (which I clearly did) when he doesn't even read my post (which he clearly did not)...
    Your post isn't as well written as you seem to think. From the way it's worded, I assumed you meant the same thing he thought; that the debris from thread cutting fell into the tanks and somehow ended up at the other bell-end. I say this because of how you start the paragraph with "I would say its from tapping the threads on that rad." In my mind the addition of the paragraph about solder was just reconfirming another possibility that had already been mentioned the day before, because it was started with "Also". Meaning, "In addition to", not "or".

So... If he read what I read... Yeah, you're overreacting. It's the internet; not worth getting worked up over a misunderstanding.

Stick around, have some fun.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?