Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DT 5Noz waterblock

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Details of the springs please ...interested in the max hold down pressure this is capable of.
    Good question, at nearly fully compressed each spring is transmitting 14lbf, so 56lbf (25.4kgf) total force on the processor.
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Xtreme Legend
    Thanks for that, I believe I read that for the EK HF The spring pressure is closer to 66 lbs.

Depending on the tim it may be necessary to uprate those (IC Diamond for example needs good pressure). That being the case I begin to wonder how "plastic" will hold out under this pressure. That said, the bow of the block, if matched to the IHS, could concentrate the available pressure right where it is needed, over the cores. All The cpu's I have lapped have had high edges to remove so I am hoping that the bow resolves this issue.

Man,....... So many variables!....... Martiiiin?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by stren View Post
    Martin - will you be able to plot temperature vs flowrate for cpu blocks in future (I know you did one plot for the raystorm). It would be interesting to know if this beats the 370 due to it's higher flowrate or because of it's intrinsic design.
    I do have the ability to adjust pumping power via the 35x using PWM which I did on the Raystorm, but I don't have a flow meter on the test loop. Most blocks seem to loose around 2C between 100% and 0% PWM. I can do the same, but it's not really a flow vs dt, it's a pumping power vs dt comparison which is slightly different than looking at flow rate. Flow rate tends to present results more in favor of high restriction blocks where pumping power doesn't really matter. Flow rate is probably the right tool for evaluating multiblock performance, but even that is a bit skewed because the lower restriction block nets higher flow rates. For a fair comparison, you almost need to compare relative to "added restriction". Nobody has really done that but it could probably be done using a combination of flow meters and a manometer to target specific pressure drop curves using a gate valve. Something like 100% pump no added restriction, 100% + one VGA block, two, three, etc.

Anyhow..long answer, but I can do pumping power vs dt, but it's not the answer all..neither is flow rate...restriction added is what we really need.

Thumbnuts would be nice (like other blocks have) not only for aesthetics but also for ease of install. Not everyone has a nut driver.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    If there is any plan to change up the screws I'll wait and definitely order one then

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I do have the ability to adjust pumping power via the 35x using PWM which I did on the Raystorm, but I don't have a flow meter on the test loop. Most blocks seem to loose around 2C between 100% and 0% PWM. I can do the same, but it's not really a flow vs dt, it's a pumping power vs dt comparison which is slightly different than looking at flow rate. Flow rate tends to present results more in favor of high restriction blocks where pumping power doesn't really matter. Flow rate is probably the right tool for evaluating multiblock performance, but even that is a bit skewed because the lower restriction block nets higher flow rates. For a fair comparison, you almost need to compare relative to "added restriction". Nobody has really done that but it could probably be done using a combination of flow meters and a manometer to target specific pressure drop curves using a gate valve. Something like 100% pump no added restriction, 100% + one VGA block, two, three, etc.

Anyhow..long answer, but I can do pumping power vs dt, but it's not the answer all..neither is flow rate...restriction added is what we really need.
    Thanks Martin - I agree it's very hard to level the playing field because there are so many variables. The added restriction would be good, but then you get into very particular usage situations that may not map well to everyone's use scenario. For example personally I care about an extremely high performance cpu only loop with as close to ambient temps as I can, but most people are running small cpu only loops or bigger high restriction combined loops. It's hard for me to know the best block under high flow rates because no one tests at 2.5gpm. So I was trying to think of tests that could be used to create an accurate model of the block, and combined with pump/radiator models could then be plugged into a more advanced version of your spreadsheet to allow temps to be much more accurately predicted.

i maybe in the market for a new block if i can sell my current hardwaer to upgrade to 2600k so this is rellevant to my itnersts dont think my trusty old fuzino is up to the task or heck i dont think it will even mount to 1155.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    DetroitAC
    How about deleviry in Europe (for ex. my country) ? In web store its not posible.

Xtreme Guru
    DetroitAC: seeing those posts about delivery imho it's simpler to pass sales & shipment process to some well known retail LC speciality shop like frozencpu/performancepcs/sidewinder/aquatuning. BTW, another area that may need to work on or clarify - updating mounting sys policy. Yes, performance wise block looks wonderful, but you should state your policy regarding future support/mounting sys updating policy, eg. "i will (or not) release optional mount kit for AMD sockets #,#,#. I will (or not) make updated mounting kits for future intel/amd sockets in 5(?) year timeframe for this particular block", so that customers can be ensured about product durability/investment safety regarding future uprade capabilities.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My webstore is not working properly yet, I will ship to any country within reason, certainly Ukraine is on that list.

Churchy, I'd like someday to not deal with retailing and only deal with design and manufacturing, but it's a chicken and the egg problem. No retailer wants to carry a new product that has zero proven sales volume. Once there are sales, and I can state what the volume is, then a retailer can make a business case to carry my stuff. Regarding the future, well it's a bit of an unknown. This is my full time employment, and I hope to expand and take over the world, but I could also get run over and killed by angry birds. The block is designed to also accept a waterjet or lasercut plate instead of the acetal spider, so even if the birds do get me tomorrow, it's a piece of cake for someone to have metal spiders built for a future socket. I hope that doesn't happen and I can build those parts.

Thumbnuts! I hear you, yes I'll switch to them, I'll get pictures of them up as soon as I get them.
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Xtreme Guru
    DetroitAC: well, take for example I&H. His products like radgrills/stealthres and alike are sold by several LC stores, and he also started at something. If i'm guessing right from waterlogged's post, you are the one that made best performing D5 top back in time, so you already have something in your portfolio . Imho it shouldn't hurt to at least inquire info about possible collaboration. Imho once your block results will be proven by Martin (there may be some discrepancies on actual cpu with differently placed/concentrated heat source under IHS and different mount pressure on actual motherboard resulting in different performance then with artificial heat load with heater), it will be enough for many in community creating stable demand, so you can just calculate how much blocks will cost to make, how much you will be able to make them and try to reach some agreement with some of mentioned retailers, many of which have reps in this forum as well. After all, many want to have THE best, even if gains are minor.
    P.S.
    IF you are going to keep making different products in future for modding/LC, i suggest you to work on some common branding/logo for your products to distinguish them. And as such probably simpler the better (easier to design into products and imho simpler = more stylish and easier to not misfire with looks. Eg. in my eyes EK's is nice example of good logo).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am a testing guy, I can tell you for sure if the apparatus changes, the results will change, no doubt about that one.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitAC View Post
    My webstore is not working properly yet, I will ship to any country within reason, certainly Ukraine is on that list.

Churchy, I'd like someday to not deal with retailing and only deal with design and manufacturing, but it's a chicken and the egg problem. No retailer wants to carry a new product that has zero proven sales volume. Once there are sales, and I can state what the volume is, then a retailer can make a business case to carry my stuff. Regarding the future, well it's a bit of an unknown. This is my full time employment, and I hope to expand and take over the world, but I could also get run over and killed by angry birds. The block is designed to also accept a waterjet or lasercut plate instead of the acetal spider, so even if the birds do get me tomorrow, it's a piece of cake for someone to have metal spiders built for a future socket. I hope that doesn't happen and I can build those parts.

Thumbnuts! I hear you, yes I'll switch to them, I'll get pictures of them up as soon as I get them.
    Good luck with your aspirations, I do believe there is room in this market for a new, innovative block maker. The fact your stuff is so well made, and made nearby is reason I would probably buy alone. If your thermals are good, with the outstanding restriction, prepare to be a very busy guy.

You could always sell a premium mounting kit, I for one would buy, as real nice hardware is expensive and hard to source in very small quantity.
    I spent extra time, and proportionality, a lot of money upgrading the mounting hardware on my first block (original EK supreme). Because the mounting hardware was sort of plain looking.

I personally like the look of your block very much, but your mounting hardware suffers the same plain look. Thinking brass, or stainless maybe? Maybe sleeves to cover the springs?
    Not trying to be critical here, just a suggestion.And I do like the acetyl spider mount, looks plenty sturdy, and better looking than most metal ones I've seen.

Oh, watch out for those "angry birds"
    Last edited by the finisher; 03-01-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Xtreme Member
    Sick block, me wants!
    | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB G.Skill Sniper | Asus GeForce GTX Titan | 500GB Samsung 840 | Asus Xonar Essence STX | AOC G2460P 144Hz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Maybe sleeves to cover the springs?
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I built a prototype about 2 months ago and in the process broke a really nice $85 cutting tool. So then I tried to see how far I could throw the prototype, pretty far it turns out.

It was to be a cover for all the hardware, so basically all visible parts would be black (or white) except the SS screws (these could be replaced with black). Maybe I'll do that, offer a premium mounting kit, I like it.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I built a prototype about 2 months ago and in the process broke a really nice $85 cutting tool. So then I tried to see how far I could throw the prototype, pretty far it turns out.

It was to be a cover for all the hardware, so basically all visible parts would be black (or white) except the SS screws (these could be replaced with black). Maybe I'll do that, offer a premium mounting kit, I like it.
    I like it too! combined with some nice thumbscrews like on an apogee HD/other blocks and it's pure gold

Xtreme Cruncher
    Cutting insert for a lathe? Through my engineering internship, talking with machinists, I learned quite a bit about how much machining tools cost...

As a suggestion for some mounting bling:

Sell the mounting kit you have displayed here as standard, then for a nominal (thinking 3-7 dollars tops) include an option for colored screws, nuts, washer and thumb screws. Being in Detroit (I spent a few years there) I know that there are plenty of places you could have a moderate volume of say red/blue/green/gold kits done within that price point and then people could color match the mounting kit to their board i.e. Red kit on black block for ROG boards, blue / white on non ROG asus, Silver/Black on sabertooth etc etc

Bling, it sells!

P.S.: Pending thermal results from Martin, if it matches or betters the Raystorm, consider a black AMD mount version sold (please tell me the AMD spider is done).

Additionally, since it has such amazing flow characteristics, have you considered doing a spider for the standard GPU mounting holes, then a North Bridge spider both intel and amd? With that insane flow rate, even with two 90 degree fittings it will outflow all others and if you did the various spiders for GPUs, Intel CPUs, AMD CPUs, Intel Mobos, AMD Mobos, you would be able to market them as a 100% modular block!
    Last edited by tcclaviger; 03-03-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    looks really interesting!

However, it seems your webshop doesn't allow shipping in Quebec? I'm interested in buying this block (when you switch to thumbscrews) but it sort of has to be able to reach me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    my website won't ship to anywhere yet, it is not quite set up, but I don't want to make it under construction. Shipping to Quebec will be no problem, you can always buy direct from me via paypal.

Xtreme Addict
    can wingnuts or a different nut config be used to compress the springs??

Just looks tedious process to tighten those.
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iboomalot View Post
    can wingnuts or a different nut config be used to compress the springs??

Just looks tedious process to tighten those.
    He said he was going to switch to thumbnuts...it costs a little more though

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyg0od33 View Post
    He said he was going to switch to thumbnuts...it costs a little more though
    Good to hear !!!
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Member
    how difficult/what tools do you need to install this, if I were to order before he switches to thumbnuts for mounting?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    New thumbnuts

IMG_1807.JPG

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast