Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DT 5Noz waterblock

Xtreme Enthusiast

DT 5Noz waterblock

Hello, let me present my new waterblock. I call it the 5Noz, as there is an unique nozzle inside the block with 5 openings.

Martin was good enough to take these excellent pictures for me, thank you Martin!

I machine this block myself on my CNC.

I use copolymer acetal for the top and the spider. With each, I flycut the top with a slow speed and fast feed which gives it checkering like a gun grip. Because it's a circular cutter, the pattern changes over the top and spider, very coarse near the center and fine near the edges. G 1/4 ports, of course, spaced very widely apart, so I don't think there will be any fitting issues. There is a spotface at each fitting for proper O-ring sealing (can't seal on the textured surface). Internally, the top has a couple of horseshoe shaped features that poke-yoke the nozzle so you can only install it in the correct orientation. The O-ring is kept round, which means super short cycle time for me to machine, but it's also not fiddly to deal with, easy to reinstall if you need to.

The top and spider are also available in white acetal, I have parts finished but no good pictures yet.

The spider is removable and is available in Intel pattern, AMD pattern shortly, and this could be replaced for future socket designs. The spider has a pocket that the springs go down into. This hides the springs a little bit, but also the thickness of the material underneath the springs will allow a metal spider to be used instead of acetal.

The base is 110 alloy copper, 44 microchannels are machined in two steps 0.020 inches and then 0.012 inches. The base contact surface is machined flat and smooth, and is not polished. M4 female threads are in the base, which means that during disassembly for cleaning you only deal with metal threads, so less likely to strip something. The M4 stainless steel cap screws use the full head, so the hex wrench is a nice big 3mm size, less likely to be rounded out.

The nozzle is machined from 360 alloy brass and allows a unique flow path through this block. The nozzle is one of the best looking parts of this block, I wish I could share it, but it's good and it'll likely be...adopted...:rolleyes: The nozzle allows a flow path that contacts more fin leading edges, parallel flow paths, and provides a lower pressure drop. The base is bowed by the nozzle. One side of the nozzle is flat, and the base contact face of the nozzle is machined into a convex surface. Close tolerances must be held on the base, top and nozzle to get the bow to the 0.005 inches it's designed for. To do this, I have to match the parts as they are built, as there are a few thou' that parts when combined can drift. This means that it will be possible to custom assemble to any amount of bow. I think 0.005 bow is about right, but but I also think bigger IHS processors might do better with less bow, and smaller might do better with more :shrug: In any case, any amount of bow within reason can be specified.

The backplate is machined from 6061-T6 aluminum, and has machined chamfers to accept the heads of flathead M4 screws. This keeps the backplate and screws from slipping around when installing it to the mobo. There is a chamfer for LGA775, one for 115x, and one for 1366/2011. LGA2011 hardware is included, all hardware is stainless steel except for the springs which are zinc coated steel.

I've tested the 5Noz and the Koolance CPU-370 in my test loop.

D5 Pump with DT top, setting 5, 12V
    Single 120mm radiator
    Single Yate Loon D12SM-12 fan, 12V
    Q6600 die simulator (copper block machined to Q6600 die sizes, Q6600 IHS soldered to these die)
    200W applied to cartridge heaters in the die simulator

5Noz => 31.9C temperature delta between die simulator thermocouple and air entering the radiator
    CPU-370 => 33.4C delta

5Noz => 2.55 GPM
    CPU-370 => 1.27 GPM

Samples are with a few excellent, non-biased reviewers. Hopefully you can get some independent reviews of this block shortly.

Price will be $87.95 USD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    DT5noz-Package.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

I am Xtreme
    It is a good looking block.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice - let's hope it performs as well in Martin's tests as yours. You should look into a nut that looks a little prettier for the mount though

I like it

I'm waiting for more review.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Damn those are nice pictures...

Still have to get my CPU block testing rig put back together before I can do thermals, but I could probably do a quick pressure drop test and preview.

I am Xtreme
    The hold down plate is already bending. I suggest a non-pom material.

Xtreme Guru
    Performance? check
    Low pressure drop? check.
    But please, do something with looks of those mounting screws before retail :/. Some thumbscrews maybe? These days it looks that LC is at very least half about bling as well. so while rest of the block looks ok, those screws might rob you big share of customers imho.

Xtreme Addict
    Very nice looking block. Cant wait for some real performance testing.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Mentor
    I think it looks bad a**, but I am not diggin the mounting, but that's just me. I also hope it comes with a pad for the backplate, otherwise you might risk shorting something out.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Oh my, pressure drop is looking REALLY REALLY good... you have mail..

Xtreme Member
    Very nice Block! And good looking! But really, you need change mounting mechanism! For 90$ its ugly.
    And off course temp/gpm check will be good.
    In the moment very interesting block.

Xtreme Member
    I want to see the nozzle!
    Main* Fractal Define XL - Intel Core i3 2100 - Gigabyte Z68MA D2H B3 - Dominator 4GB - HD 6870 Crossfire - Corsair HX1000 - Stock Cooler - WD 300GB Velociraptor - WD Caviar Black 1TB X2- AOC LED 23inch - ACER LCD 23inch - G500 Mouse - Thermaltake Challenger Keyboard

Netbook* HP Pavilion DM1Z

DEAD****** Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.7 - Rampage lll Formula - Vengance 12GB - GTX 570 SC Sli - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Thermaltake FrioFractal

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Better looking nuts, I hear you.

@UTnorris, you use acetal washers between the backplate and the mobo to stand it off over the soldered pins

@badbaker, it'll be public soon enough. Someone will buy it and post a pic. I am just one guy, hard for me to compete with the big boys, so I need to keep this advantage for as long as I can. In the meantime, buy it and you can look at it all you want

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-28-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Martinm210 Thx!
    DetroitAC Nice work! Exlent results.
    Wait for temps!

Xtreme Addict
    Holy !!! Now if the temps are good this will a beast!
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Technician
    Holy bananas indeed! Very nice job, kickass in fact .

Regardless of what the temps are thats the first home brew block Ive seen that beats production blocks at anything. Cant wait to see temps.

Real shame theres not much chance of seeing the block in the UK though (import/shipping etc), but I really hope this leads you somewhere.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Always amazed me to see the ingenuity of the people on this forum and the quality of their work.
    Congrats.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    DetroitAC, well done on the PD. If you've put the same attention to detail on the performance of the block as you did for your D5 top, I have no doubt you've got a "100% kick ass" block.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thumbs up Nice!

I might have to get one, your practically a local homie I have the Swify block on the high end of the chart, rev 2 not much better. Its a great block for cpu/mobo, but that's as far as I'll go with 1 loop.

If thermals are good, and they should be by the looks of it! A real winner on restriction!

Nice machining, I agree about the mounting screws, but real nice ones bound to cost some. Hope you can keep up with demand

Nice if you can make some money doing something you like
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Martin sent me pictures of the white parts, they are really hard to take pictures of, heck they are really hard to see details in person.
    DT5noz-WithBackPlate-variat.jpgDT5noz-WithBackPlate-white2.jpg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Martin - will you be able to plot temperature vs flowrate for cpu blocks in future (I know you did one plot for the raystorm). It would be interesting to know if this beats the 370 due to it's higher flowrate or because of it's intrinsic design.

Xtreme Member
    Very nice block you have here Detroit.
    [3960X 4.8GHz 1.35v] [32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133] [EVGA GTX 680 SLI] [ASUS RIVE] [Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB R0]
    [EK Supreme HF] [EK RIVE Full Board Kit] [Coolgate 120.3 + 120.1] [4 x Scythe GT D1225C12B5AP-15] [BitsPower Compression] [MCP655]
    [3 x Acer S231HL LED 5760 x 1080 2d Surround]

Xtreme Legend
    You really have my attention with this. > double the flow of the next best block is exactly what I am looking for. My wallet is twitching in my pocket

Details of the springs please ...interested in the max hold down pressure this is capable of.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast