Thread: help reservoir cracked and coolant spilled on carpet?

Xtreme Addict

help reservoir cracked and coolant spilled on carpet?

just like the title says, i recently flushed out my system...i read a flush/cleaning guide that said to use hydrogen peroxide...well i did that, and then i filled the res with new cooling xspc blue. i left it to test the loop overnight, but when i woke up i found coolant spread out across the room, i was not happy to say the least. i have most of the major components cleaned and letting them dry out for a few days (until a new res/pump comes in), i am going to power home the case tomorrow, for the most part (couple of spots here and there) my motherboard seems to have been untouched.

now i have a few big blue spots over my carpet, i have tried to search for an answer....cant seem to find one though, does anyone have any ideas? the reservoir was acrylic....i didn't like that very much (looked really fragile to begin with), the new one is made with nylon. ...i am guessing it was the hydro oxide that made it burst? there was a little left in the tubes when i put the coolant.

thanks.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Member
    what concentration of h2o2 have You use? and it good call to flush system well after any agressive/cleaning fluid with big amount of water. do you have any photo of reservoir? was it broken or "corroded"?

Xtreme Addict
    Got to watch the use of some chemicals on plexi. It can cause them to crack. Res's over time will crack on their own. I have a 250 EK res that is starting to show small cracks after 3 years of use 24/7.

I do not use dyed fluid nor do I recommend them ever to anyone with carpets in their home. I use plain old R/O water in my system and have never looked back.

Now to get your stain out, I have no idea and wish I could help you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
    what concentration of h2o2 have You use? and it good call to flush system well after any agressive/cleaning fluid with big amount of water. do you have any photo of reservoir? was it broken or "corroded"?
    well its cracked, one big crack. i can take some pictures later. the h2 has 3% on it. yeah i should have flushed with water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Got to watch the use of some chemicals on plexi. It can cause them to crack. Res's over time will crack on their own. I have a 250 EK res that is starting to show small cracks after 3 years of use 24/7.

I do not use dyed fluid nor do I recommend them ever to anyone with carpets in their home. I use plain old R/O water in my system and have never looked back.

Now to get your stain out, I have no idea and wish I could help you.
    3 years eh...well i have had this for 6 months lol. what is r/o water? where do i get it? and does it have antimicrobial and corrosion additives? xspc ec6 has that but its dyed.

I am Xtreme
    R/O = reverse osmosis

If you avoid aluminum, you don't really need anti-corrosion protection (because brass, copper, nickel all play relatively well with each other despite what EK says) and for microbes, plop some silver in the loop.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    R/O = reverse osmosis

If you avoid aluminum, you don't really need anti-corrosion protection (because brass, copper, nickel all play relatively well with each other despite what EK says) and for microbes, plop some silver in the loop.
    huh i will have to try that next time i bleed my loop, thanks.

ok so i got my new res/pump in yesterday, everything is clean and dry (dry for 3 days now), i just finished putting the computer back together; but now i have a new problem. one of my gpu's does not work anymore? it is not even recognized by the mobo? i checked its not the pcie slot or the power cables, could the gpu still be ionized by the water after 3 days? should i just wait a few more days and try again? i mean the other gpu is just fine, no issues so far?

thanks.

Xtreme Member
    put GFX in a pot/bag with 0.5kg of rice (or salt) for a few days. it absorbs water very well.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    ...i read a flush/cleaning guide that said to use hydrogen peroxide...
    where did you read a guide to use hydrogen peroxide with acrylic?

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah where is this guide? I've never heard anyone using hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is not safe on acrylic. Sorry to hear about your loss.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
    put GFX in a pot/bag with 0.5kg of rice (or salt) for a few days. it absorbs water very well.
    ok but wont the rice or salt just get logged inside the gpu then? i still have the pcb on it (i dont have a block on the gpu). i guess i could remove the pcb?

Quote Originally Posted by scamps View Post
    where did you read a guide to use hydrogen peroxide with acrylic?
    lol well its is 12 years old and does not mention acrylic...yeah i probably should have thought twice about it.

http://www.procooling.com/index.php?...s&disp=22&pg=1

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    Yeah where is this guide? I've never heard anyone using hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is not safe on acrylic. Sorry to hear about your loss.
    ^^ yeah it was pretty stupid of me to do it without thinking it through, but i am hoping to salvage my gpu so we will see.

thank you

Xtreme Member
    Wrap the rice in something moisture can get through - such as a sheet of kitchen towel, or a hanky - before placing it in the bag.

That should help keep it tidy and clean.

Just make sure the bag is reasonably airtight so that the water has to come from the GPU and not the outside air. (e.g. a ziploc bag)

J
    Intel i7-2600k 4.80GHz (100*48@1.4v) (24hr Prime95 stable)
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3
    KFA2 GTX 580
    8GB (2*4GB) Corsair Vengeance PC1600 Kit 8-8-8-24-1T
    (1) Vertex3 MI 120GB (Boot)
    (2) 600 GB VelociRaptor (RAID0, Data)
    (1) 2 TB WD Caviar Green (Backups)
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
    CM 690 II Window
    Corsair AX750
    Water Cooled (Apogee XT rev2, EK-FC580 GTX, CG 120.3 * 2, DDC3.2 * 2, MC-RES; single loop in an external radbox)

I am Xtreme
    Pour 91% on what ever got wet and let it dry for a few hours.

Instead of R/O water, you can also use distilled. I've used distilled since I started liquid cooling in 2003 and haven't had a single problem with it.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Pour 91% on what ever got wet and let it dry for a few hours.

Instead of R/O water, you can also use distilled. I've used distilled since I started liquid cooling in 2003 and haven't had a single problem with it.
    thanks this worked out great!