Thread: Fitseries3: Asus Apple of my Eye buildlog

Xtreme PITA to MM

Fitseries3: Asus Apple of my Eye buildlog

Im a huge asus fan. always have liked their ROG stuff and i have owned most of their ROG boards. I had this mac g5 case laying around and thought i'd make use of it instead of wasting money buying a case. thought it would give me something to do as well. i've seen alot of these mac mods but everyone always just cuts a hole in the back and slides in a mobo tray and calls it a day. not good enough for me. i want mine to look like it came that way...AND i dont want it to scream MAC when you look at it. how am i gonna do that you say?....

the first challenge is the rear panel. like i said, i dont just want to cut a big ass hole in the back and slide in a mountainmods mobo tray and call it a day. i want it to look like it came from the factory to support the hardware im putting in it. luckily i have 2 g5 cases......... so i took them apart and used 2 front panels. the case is made of 2 L shaped pieces that make up 4 of the 6 sides. with little modification you can use 2 front/top L shaped pieces so thats what i did. after i got that together i lined up the back panel for the mobo and cards then cut it out of the case. problem... theres a slot where the dvd used to be. solution.... fill it in with scrap cut from the rear panel. crap... another problem, the side panel is held on by a locking mechanism in which the latch assembly is mounted in the rear of the case. solution... skin graft the mechanism into the new rear panel. i fabricated a motherboard tray from an old antec tower parts i had laying around. cut some sheet aluminum to use for the front panel to mount dual 140mm fans for airflow. case will be split into sections... 1 for drives and psu, one for cards, and one for cpu and ram. more on this later. psu will be mounted up top like usual. dvd drive will be mounted in factory apple style but im fabricating a bracket to mount the hard drives(2) right above the dvd drive.

i bet at this point if you havent already skipped to the pictures your dying to see some pretty soon so here you go....

this wont do....

notice the 2 fronts...

stock back VS Fits modified front...

hardware!

Build specs....

Asus Maximus III Formula
    Intel i5 655k
    Asus 6950 2gb DCuII
    OCZ ZT650 psu
    WD 640gb blue
    WD 1tb green

im looking into airbrushing one side of the case to have the asus rog logo ripping through the side. of course.... the inner section of the case(top, bottom, front, back) will be black and the outter shell will be white. should look pretty sick.

one thing i had to do to make the back panel look like it came the way im making it is to patch up the slot where the dvd drive was, remember this was the front of the 2nd case.

just had to cut 2 peices to match up to the hole pattern then epoxy them in place. once dry i can drill out the hole pattern and you'll never know it was there after a bit of paint.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nice work, always liked that case, its the only thing Apple has made that I liked to be honest haha.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme PITA to MM
    almost done... just have to make the front panel fan shroud as soon as i get some 140mm fans found. i need to finish wiring up the power switch and get a longer sata cable for the bottom drive.

the "brain" had to be put together outside the box then installed as a whole. was tough to do without scratching everything to death.

what you think?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Haha you had to post on this today, I just picked up a G5 so that I can mess with Mac OS some more for work, and my first thoughts were wonder if I could transfer my gaming PC over to this and watercool it haha, may have to try it out.

Where did you get the spare front for the back of your case? Did you just buy two cases?
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme PITA to MM
    2 cases... lol and im in KC as well

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ah really? Nice, I live in downtown KC I own a loft there and then I work down in Overland park on the Sprint campus, well at least for now, hoping to have a new job that is not to far from my loft.

I just picked up this G5 a few days ago, right now I have just been upgrading it to the latest crap Apple has pushed out, havent sat down to much and messed with it, but so far it is nothing tooo impressive haha, but love the case. it is really well built much like my Lian Li
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme PITA to MM
    im up in gladstone. just north of downtown.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Cool, well now I will probably head home after work and mess with that case, see what I can do with it. Nice job on this one.
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme PITA to MM
    got a magicool 280mm rad for this thing. going to use it with a H60's pump until the swiftec appogee drive II comes out.