Self clinching nuts are basically what you see in many/most computer cases... tbh, threading a 16ga to 20ga aluminum sheet is not going to hold. and we've all messed with using a lock nut in the back but this is a bit cumbersome in some small spaces.

I've seen Lian-li cases use this often... they are stainless steel nuts that can be installed (via press) on aluminum sheets and have decent strength to fasten side panels and whatnot.

firstly, some good info resources i found on the web...
"The Basics of Self-Clinching Fastener"
Good source for installation requirements and types of fasteners
PEM fastener website with install animation reference

so doesn't seem that bad... and the usefulness... well... depends on the extent of your madness...

so as a quick test, i found some self clinching nuts at amazon.com and purchased 2 sizes, 4mm and 6mm fasteners.

first difficulty i've found was being able to drill appropriate sized hole with my limited drill bits... i have imperial sized drill bits whereas my samples were metric...

anywhoo, found something that seems to work and decided to give it a go...

first trial was a piece of aluminum 0.04" thickness

before breaking out my arbor press, i wanted to see if a c-clamp has enough force...

difficulty using a c-clamp is that the head swivels and so pressure applied is uncontrollable... i saw that the nut being pushed in on one side only as the head swiveled when i applied pressure.

but after numerous tries, it does work.. just not as efficient

so... time to break out the arbor press...

cheap at $45 from local harbor freight... buying this via mail order, freight probably more expensive...

did i mention cheap?

when i tightened the screw to fix the handle length, it just bends over... like butter...

so carefully peeled the plastic to give it a couple of tries... thinking to refund this...

and the results are much better... the pressure is applied more evenly... although there is still a bit of movement on the steel ram... and not quite machined flat.

(c-clamp install on right, arbor press install on left)

backside is a bit messy... i figure my drilled hole is a bit messy from start... and the pressure applied was not the best. but the good thing is that 1 ton was enough pressure to deform and push the aluminum around the clinch nut.

also, i did not quite peel the plastic all the way...

assembled it with some M4 screws

provides a nice and strong seam...

thoughts:
1) hole size needs to be as accurate as possible and i need to do further test after researching and finding the right size hole for the nut.

2) 1 ton arbor press does apply enough pressure to deform the aluminum to create a strong connection with the sheet.

3) strength is not bad... i tried to turn it with a vise clamp and it would not rotate... i can pull it out... but when pulled out, it will deform the sheet.

in conclusion, i think this is a very DIY-able method to fastening aluminum parts together... it does apply good strength and the amount of force required to un-seat a properly fastened nut will probably deform the case or aluminum sheets.

i will contact one of the vendor and try to get more "size-appropriate" nuts and drill bit to do a cleaner installation.

i will also return the 1 ton arbor press and order a 2 ton from grizzly...
probably the same manufacturer from china... but i want the headroom now that i feel that an arbor press is something i want to have.

i know that we have some members who are more experienced in working with this so i would appreciate your comments and advice.

thank you for your time.

cheers

Ape