Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.

Warning:This video seems to have gone crazy. Awesome video, this will let parents get an idea on how to deal with rebellious kids.

I loved the end. I saw the laptop and the 45 and say out loud... "Oh holy crap" then came the exploding hollow points.

Tommy Jordan, the man who last week did it on YouTube, is now officially famous.
    Last edited by dctokyo; 02-13-2012 at 05:46 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Give this man the parent of the decade award right now.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Surprisingly enough I actually agree with what this guy did...

-150c Club Member
    Awesome parent doing it right.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Addict
    I was a rebellious kid.... I don't remember my folks utilizing a 45 and hollow points to put holes in the computer that THEY bought....hehehe... Parenting Fail...

People who use guns to vent rage would seem to suggest that they have dangerous anger issues...... Parenting Fail...

Seriously, though, I remember seeing the video.... it was kinda funny. But still..... I wouldn't call it parenting done "right.." That guy has anger issues.

(Probably beats his wife)
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Aussie God
    Damn...
    That is going to the extreme...

But then again, she probably didnt buy that laptop herself in the first place.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Addict
    My point exactly! hehehe I would have taken away the laptop.... they're expensive... :p
    Regards, Stew.....

As a parent I have no issue with what he did. (although a sledge hammer to the laptop probably would have had the same effect)

I've got 2 boys ages 8 and 6, one thing that my wife and I do not, and will not put up with is being disrespected by our children. He said

in the video that she had been warned earlier about publicly saying bad things about here parents, warnings do no good if you fail to follow

through with the punishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    As a parent I have no issue with what he did. (although a sledge hammer to the laptop probably would have had the same effect)

I've got 2 boys ages 8 and 6, one thing that my wife and I do not, and will not put up with is being disrespected by our children. He said

in the video that she had been warned earlier about publicly saying bad things about here parents, warnings do no good if you fail to follow

through with the punishment.
    Nobody said fail to follow through with the punishment......... I just think that there are more effective punishments. Putting holes in her laptop with a gun? If instilling fear of being shot was his point, then it would have worked. However, it likely just made things worse. You won't see a video of that one, because it would be counter productive to his wonderful lesson on parenting that I certainly won't utilize.

This is just a video made by him. I'd like to see how things are done around his house. I bet we could watch and find all sorts of reasons why she is so disrespectful to begin with. I bet her Parents are a shining example of respect for others...
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    I fully agree with what this guy did.

If you have never had do deal with a disrespectful teen then you don't have a clue. Sometimes it takes going to this level to get the point across.

I see this as a two part thing:
    1). For the teen she looses the privilege of having a computer.
    2). For the father shooting the laptop is therapeutic
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    I fully agree with what this guy did.

If you have never had do deal with a disrespectful teen then you don't have a clue. Sometimes it takes going to this level to get the point across.

I see this as a two part thing:
    1). For the teen she looses the privilege of having a computer.
    2). For the father shooting the laptop is therapeutic
    I'm sticking with my instincts. I have seen what leads to out of control children. If she's that bad, then there is something wrong in that house. No gun toting dad with a temper will convince me otherwise. Besides, I bet she got that way because of Daddy's antics.

If this works, then it means she is afraid of her father. Sorry, if you would use a gun in disciplining your kid, then you've got issues.

Edit: I know you're going to focus on other points, like how hard it is to quell the misbehaving bratty teenagers just to justify how "great" of a parent this guy is. However, that doesn't change the facts. Only on the internet would this get praise for being a great thing. In an age where most people just appease their children to shut them up, things like this seem logical. Meanwhile, parents who use methods other than instilling fear (which doesn't work in the long run), don't make videos, so nobody sees their "magic."
    Last edited by Stewie007; 02-13-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Hey look this has obviously has touched a nerve with you. Perhaps this guy is a real d-bag, who knows except him his family, and people close to him.

Your correct people are praising him, and on the same token people are persecuting him. We don't know full truth.

However I can tell you from experience that I have had experience with disrespectful, selfish, lazy, and/or entitled teens, and It certainly was not caused from problems at home.
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Member
    ... was not caused from problems at home.
    Every problem starts at home.

EDIt:
    The actual fail is, that he is an IT-guy and spends 130$ on fixing a pc.
    Last edited by soya_crack; 02-13-2012 at 11:17 AM.

NooB MOD
    So an IT guy should pirate software?

I want to shake this man's hand. I was a bratty teen and I can tell you that was no fault of my parents. Parents can't be around you to see who you're hanging with at all times
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

NooB MOD
    This is quite long, I'll bold the bits that stood out to me:

Update:
    This may come as a wild shock to some.. wait for it.. wait.... (I need that guy who did the awesome HD youtube parody to do me an intro here. Where is he when I need him?)

I'm NOT a hero... of ANY kind... at all.
    I'm not a super-dad, or awesome parent.

I'm a normal guy with reasonable a moral compass that I try very hard to keep pointed north. I make a LOT of mistakes. Did I say a LOT? I mean a WHOLE lot! Daily... sometimes hourly!

I'm extremely lucky to have a very strong wife who tolerates me and puts up with my mistakes, and who herself is strong enough that she can put me in my place with only a look.. no really.. you haven't seen her "I'm not kidding anymore" face... it's serious.
    (For example I can apparently destroy a laptop and garnish world-wide attention in mere seconds, but I guarantee tomorrow morning my wife will say "Hey Chuck Norris. Make the freakin BED WILL YOU PLEASE" because I'll forget to.
    (I have to admit the "Chuck Norris wears Tommy Jordan pajamas" comment will stay with me for the rest of my life. I want that on a bumper sticker!)

I'm lucky to have great kids (two of them) who look up to me despite all my mistakes.
    I make bad parenting decisions all the time. We all do. Personally, I stand behind the decision I made earlier this week by posting the video. I don't find fault with it. If I had it to do again... let's see... I'd do it almost the same.

I'd not be smoking a cigarette. (That's a habit I promised my wife I'd quit as soon as I could afford to just go out and buy a Chantix prescription. She absolutely hates it and I'm getting mature enough to want to quit it for my own reasons as well.)

I'd not have used the word "ass" in my comment directed at my daughter. That was rude and a bad example of a parent using the "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy

I'd have worn my Silverbelly Stetson, not my Tilley hat if I'd known that image was going to follow me the rest of my life and I'd probably have cleaned my boots.

That's it. I meant all the rest of it. My wife is OK with it. My daughter is OK with it. My Mother is OK with it. I'm OK with it. We're the only ones that matter.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For those that feel the need to keep calling the police and CPS. lol

Apparently both the local police and the department of social services are OK with it. Yes they came. Of course they came. They received enough "Oh my god he's going to kill his daughter" comments that they had to. I knew that the moment it went viral.. it was too late and it was inevitable. I'm only surprised it took as long as it did to be honest.

The police by the way said "Kudos, Sir" and most of them made their kids watch it. I actually had a "thank you" from an entire detectives squad. And another police officer is using it in a positive manner in his presentation for the school system. How's about those apples? Didn't expect THAT when you called the cops did you?

The kind lady from Child Protective Services looked all through the house, the yard, and found ours to be a healthy home. She saw the unloaded guns in their rack with the magazines removed and stored separately and safely. Funny thing: The case officer asked to see "the gun".... "Umm, sir, may I see the actual..umm.. weapon used for the video?" She wasn't at all scared of me but I could tell she doesn't like guns as a general rule. To each their own though. She was comfortable that I was adhering to NC gun safety regulations for the protection of minors, and that's all she needed. But of course if you want to continue, I'm just going to leave a pot of coffee on for the next officers who come by. (Digress: Maybe I can get Krispy Kreme to sponsor me with lifetime donuts? Oh God that would be heaven. Dunkin? Crap... KK all the way....)

She asked if I minded if she interviewed my daughter privately but that I didn't have to agree. I let her meet in private and then she and I met for about an hour and a half. At the end of the day, no I'm not losing my kids, no one's in danger of being ripped from our home that I know of, and I actually got to spend some time with the nice lady and learn some cool parenting tips that I didn't know.. I use them on my 8 year old son, but not on my fifteen year old daughter.. but now I will! There were a few things I thought she was "too old" for, but after talking to the case worker, I feel like it's worth a shot to try them. Maybe I'll sell those secrets in my next book! (Seriously? You just got mad didn't you? I'm kidding. Besides, that would still only give me two pages of material- one parent tip page and one page on handgun selection techniques appropriate for different electronic destructive purposes.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to me being a normal guy... I digressed again.
    You guys caught me on eight and a half minutes of ONE day in my life, probably the worst day in my life as a father. So, all in all, I consider the vast overwhelming show of support to be very very gratifying... that was me at my worst, not my best. If most of you found me OK as a Dad at that time, then I'm definitely OK the rest of the time. I was angry, hurt as hell, emotional as can possibly be, and stunned still. I'd taken an hour to compose myself, but apparently I should have waited longer.. and maybe used the .22 instead of the .45. (And since when does an 8 minute video EVER go viral? And maybe the next video I'll do will be auctioning the pistol I used.. that should buy some serious college tuition, but please understand that I will definitely use the profits to also purchase a replacement .45.)

I'd like to think that if a camera followed me around and filmed every moment of my life as a parent, most of you out there would still put me in the plus column. Truthfully most of you would probably be bored. I'm just ordinary. I was raised old fashioned, and I raise my kids the same way... the modern generational concepts be damned!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And OK, so THAT brings me to a topic I'll close with, though I had no intention of speaking on it when I started this rant. (Hey, aren't the 25 thousand of you who subscribed really regretting it now? I'm always this scatter brained. Makes you wonder how I formed enough sensible sentences to write a book doesn't it? Then again... maybe that accounts for the book sales being in the toilet...)

So, my last point:
    I've received a LOT of comments (and by lot you have to understand there's literally MILLIONS of them. I'll likely never be able to read them all in my lifetime) pointing out that I was raised old fashioned apparently that that I needed to learn to be a parent in today's world.

Umm.. is there a polite way to call bull***t!?

The kids today ARE self entitled, spoiled, adverse to working, and basically have NO usable skills taught to them in schools. (Yes some of you out there excel. If you've graduated high school and at least pay some of your own bills, then I'm not talking to you. If you however are 25 and live with your parents because you're too lazy to get a job, then yes, I'm talking to you. Half of that is the parent's fault for thinking that the school system is supposed to raise their kids. The other half is a parent's fault for letting our school systems get to the utterly pathetic state they are in. It's your kid.. so no matter what it's ALWAYS your fault.. get it?

I'll give you a real example from the NC school system. My daughter just finished Honors Geometry in school. Halfway through the semester she asks me "Dad, can you help me type this math problem into your graphing calculator? I can't get the equation to come out right." I said "sure" and went over to help out. The problem was about calculating the tangent of a line, but I can't remember the specifics of it at the moment. I took a look at it and said "Honey, why don't you just do the problem manually... you know, on a piece of paper? It's pretty easy."

She honestly looked at me like I was a complete idiot! "You can't do it with a pencil and paper, Dad. Sheesh!"

I stared at her dumbfounded. "Honey, you DO know that tangential math has been around since the 1600s, right? Over 500 years. Long BEFORE graphing calculators existed..., right?"
    Her response was "Well, we're not taught that. We're just taught how to enter it into a calculator and get the right answer."

Absolutely SURE she must be crazy, I checked.... and she's right. HONORS mathematics at the high school level doesn't teach kids basic math principles. At all!!! If a modern honors geometry student had to calculate the distance of a line from the top of a flag pole to any point in space relative to the ground.. they have no idea how to do it. (How many of you just asked your kids to show you how to do that? Wait... how many more are Googling it right now? Stop. That's cheating.)

Further, almost every state now is taking "writing" out of schools. Kids are now being taught to print, and that's it. No need for actual writing because they all have computers. I'm NOT making this up! This is TRUE!! They learn the alphabetic characters... and nothing more. The age of eloquent thought borne by patient strokes of pen to paper... are gone like Rhett Butler's sex appeal.

So let me recap... you don't learn math, you don't learn to write actual words without the benefit of spell-check. You don't apparently learn grammar either because I've SEEN those text books and quizzes.. horrible.

Yet you want ME to stop raising MY child with old fashioned methods that actually made me fairly intelligent, capable of fending for myself, capable of managing money, holding a job, respecting my elders, etc?

So you can replace it with what? You want to teach kids it's OK to talk back to parents as long as they have the freedom to express themselves. You want to outlaw spankings. You've obviously made it OK for them to be stupid upon graduating high school. You've recently made it illegal for kids to work around any animal that can harm them under the age of 18, to include working in hay lofts, around dogs, or cats, horses, or cattle, etc. (Thanks for that law Obama.. idiot) You won't let them work in a restaurant that serves alcohol until 18 in most states. You won't let them work at ALL until 15 (It was 13 for me, but Dad lied and got me started when I was 12). When are they supposed to learn actual adult stuff exactly? When do they learn responsibility? No kid left behind? Pfft.. EVERY kid left behind! (Dang I'm mad now.. maybe I WILL run for President... no, wife already vetoed that one. I'd really love to though.. really, seriously!)

"Modern" parenting raises ill-prepared kids who can't do anything and have no skills because they're protected from even LEARNING them until 18 years old, at which time you want us parents to throw them out into the world, send them off to college, and expect them to be productive members of society? You can take your "modern" parenting, and shove it. Jeezus people. Half of you think chores at 15 are too much! God forbid we make them actually WORK too!

(packing my soapbox away and going to bed now)
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    So an IT guy should pirate software?
    If that refered to me, no IT guys should not pirate but use all the awesome opensource programs out there.

NooB MOD
    Linux is no substitute for Windows a lot of the time
    OpenOffice can hardly compete with MS Office
    etc

Are you saying that anyone who knows anything about computers should only use open source software? That's ridiculous.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by soya_crack View Post
    Every problem starts at home.

EDIt:
    The actual fail is, that he is an IT-guy and spends 130$ on fixing a pc.
    Deluded

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Follow up
    YouTube dad says authorities pay visit; Daughter gets job offer
    STANLY CO., N.C. —

A local father who captured worldwide attention after posting a YouTube rant about his daughter is now responding to all the attention.

Tommy Jordan, from Stanly County, got mad after his daughter complained about doing chores on her Facebook page.

In the video, titled "Facebook Parenting for the troubled teen" shows Jordan pull out a gun and shoots his daughter’s laptop.
    http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...visit-a/nHbcR/

Xtreme Addict
    Hey look this has obviously has touched a nerve with you. Perhaps this guy is a real d-bag, who knows except him his family, and people close to him.

Your correct people are praising him, and on the same token people are persecuting him. We don't know full truth.

However I can tell you from experience that I have had experience with disrespectful, selfish, lazy, and/or entitled teens, and It certainly was not caused from problems at home.
    Well, the only reason problems at home came up here is because of this guy's methods of utilizing his gun when he was pissed off.

I have seen plenty of badly behaving children. There is a normal rate of bad behavior for children. No matter what parents do, some of it is going to slip by. Teenagers rebel for almost no reason. However, many of their behaviors are learned from somewhere else. The two biggest sources are friends and family. I don't blame the guy for being angry, but if his daughter is out of control, I can say with confidence that she isn't out of control just because of the randomness of nature. It means she has no respect for her parents.

That isn't something that just develops out of thin air.

And no, its not delusional to think so.
    Regards, Stew.....

At the end of the day, he seems like a nice enough guy. If he wants to shoot his own laptop (and legally it is his) that is of course his prerogative.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

c[_]
    I think stewie just disliked the projectile weapon use. He would look the other way if the guy used a hammer though maybe... or you know, his foot or fist.

A weapon is a weapon.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Well, the only reason problems at home came up here is because of this guy's methods of utilizing his gun when he was pissed off.

I have seen plenty of badly behaving children. There is a normal rate of bad behavior for children. No matter what parents do, some of it is going to slip by. Teenagers rebel for almost no reason. However, many of their behaviors are learned from somewhere else. The two biggest sources are friends and family. I don't blame the guy for being angry, but if his daughter is out of control, I can say with confidence that she isn't out of control just because of the randomness of nature. It means she has no respect for her parents.

That isn't something that just develops out of thin air.

And no, its not delusional to think so.
    Delusional or not you have no idea how teenage children can be. But you are right when you say if they talk back that means they do not have respect but that can happen if you do not give enough pocket change to the child. If you do not give them a couple of Apple gadgets to showoff at school. And 100 more silly reasons, So you have no idea where the disrespect can come from.
    EVGA Classified (MSI XPower), 980X (i5 661, i5 680, i7 950, E8600, QX9650, E8400), Thermalright Venomous X , Kingston Hyper X 2000Mhz, MSI 480GTX (5870, 4870x2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT w/HR03GT), DELL E248WFP, CM Silent Power Pro 1000W, Seagate 1TB + 1TB + 500GB+500GB, Auzentech X-Plosion, CM Bench Station, AL 641, MX 518, New G15 Keyboard

NooB MOD
    Why can I not thank the above poster more than once?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Xtreme Addict
    I think a shotgun would have been better. Other than that, great video. Great response to his daughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast