Thread: LSI 9265 + 8x Corsair Performance Pro 128gb Raid 0

basicallyevolve

LSI 9265 + 8x Corsair Performance Pro 128gb Raid 0

Hey Guys!

I upgraded from my 9260 -8i to the 9265 8-i and retired my 8x 30gb vertex turbo drives.

Here is a sneak peak of the results though they are not 100% up to par atm because of some controller and motherboard issues that i am working on having resolved with Comp / Paul the SSD guru who is assisting me at the moment.

Here is the 9265-8 with the drives and with a fastpath Key.

Once i get the issue resolved i will post the updated numbers.

thanks!
    Last edited by basicallyevolve; 02-11-2012 at 12:43 PM.

um..lol wow! what gets me is the winsat latency: what the heck? you're cleaning the clock here, and winders says you are too slow lol! i get that weird latency thing too...
    Asus Rampage IV GENE
    i7 3930k
    8 gigs Mushkin 2133
    HIS 7970
    2x OCZ Vector 256gb raid0
    Crossover 27Q

basicallyevolve
    I spoke to Paul about it and he says that is due to my controller having sas timeout. I need to get into my raid card through the CLI and change some settings around due to a marvell controller issue with these raid cards.

I will work with him to fix that little problem and possibly upgrade to an ASUS RIVE + 3930 k to get past this lane issues / Z68 limitation.

oh well! more money to spend =(

Xtreme Addict
    I did a similar benchmark with 8 Patriot SSDs

What kind of ATT/IOMeter speeds are you getting?
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

basicallyevolve
    i am still having issues atm and cant bench.

i think there is in issue with my firnware because my wrotes are at like 2 mb a sec right now .

anytime i run a write test my controller starts throwing this error

Controller ID: 0 Unexpected sense: PD = -:-:6-Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred, CDB = 0x2a 0x00 0x00 0xa5 0xdf 0x80 0x00 0x00 0x70 0x00, Sense = 0x70 0x00 0x06 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x29 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00.

this blows

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by basicallyevolve View Post
    i am still having issues atm and cant bench.

i think there is in issue with my firnware because my wrotes are at like 2 mb a sec right now .

anytime i run a write test my controller starts throwing this error

Controller ID: 0 Unexpected sense: PD = -:-:6-Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred, CDB = 0x2a 0x00 0x00 0xa5 0xdf 0x80 0x00 0x00 0x70 0x00, Sense = 0x70 0x00 0x06 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x29 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00.

this blows
    I feel you, my colleague was having issues on his X58/i7 970 bench...

On my X79 + 3960X bench, I've had no issues other than the fact that I'm having serious issues getting this controller to show good performance. My 4K performance actually went up quite a bit after I went 4 drives instead of 8.

Think it may have something to do with Q depth but the problem is Q depth shouldn't affect performance as much as it did.
    I am magical.

basicallyevolve
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    I feel you, my colleague was having issues on his X58/i7 970 bench...

On my X79 + 3960X bench, I've had no issues other than the fact that I'm having serious issues getting this controller to show good performance. My 4K performance actually went up quite a bit after I went 4 drives instead of 8.

Think it may have something to do with Q depth but the problem is Q depth shouldn't affect performance as much as it did.

Well my problem really isnt getting the performance i crave right now.. I know once i get the X79 platform i will have the higher reads and writes i crave... The problem right now is anytime i do a bench that involve writes the controller has a heart attack.

It throws the error i posted over and over and over and over again while the write is like 2-8 mb a sec.

The reads are just fine.

This is driving me nuts honestly LOL> I hope LSI can give me a beta firmware or help me with this problem because i had no issues at all on my 8x 30gb Vertex turbo drives =(..

BOO!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by basicallyevolve View Post
    Well my problem really isnt getting the performance i crave right now.. I know once i get the X79 platform i will have the higher reads and writes i crave... The problem right now is anytime i do a bench that involve writes the controller has a heart attack.

It throws the error i posted over and over and over and over again while the write is like 2-8 mb a sec.

The reads are just fine.

This is driving me nuts honestly LOL> I hope LSI can give me a beta firmware or help me with this problem because i had no issues at all on my 8x 30gb Vertex turbo drives =(..

BOO!
    Good luck buddy, you may want to try a better motherboard. These things are extremely finnicky when it comes to PCIe lanes. My Gigabyte X79 UD7 performs much better than anything we've tested to date.
    I am magical.

basicallyevolve
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Good luck buddy, you may want to try a better motherboard. These things are extremely finnicky when it comes to PCIe lanes. My Gigabyte X79 UD7 performs much better than anything we've tested to date.
    I dont think it is the motherboard that is the problem in this scenario.

I had 8x 30gb vertex turbos and had no issues at all. As soon as i popped in the corsairs and started rolling along... Things were fine for like 6 hours or so and then all of a sudden my writes dropped to 2-8 mb a second and they are still there.. Nothing fixes it and i keep getting controller errors whenever i bench the writes.

Regardless i think in 2 weeks time im going for a 3930k + an X79 to have enough PCI lanes to not have a bottleneck..

But i do have a problem here for sure and i will be calling LSI tomorrow morning from work to see if i can get some help with this issue. IT is literally driving me crazy right now.