Thread: SLR for 35mm B&W Film

Xtreme 3D Team

SLR for 35mm B&W Film

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting a 35mm SLR experiment with and to shoot B&W film. (Tri-X 400 or our school's Arista EDU 400 ISO)...
    My research has pointed me to the Canon Elan 7E and a 50mm f/1.8 II where I can get the body for $70 and lens for $120...and stay under my self-imposed $200 budget. Though I already own a Nikon DSLR, I only own DX-format lenses which the 35mm cameras can not take.

I am in "Photo 2" at my high school, which is mostly digital but we have 11 Omega C700 enlargers equipped with 75mm Arista f/3.5 lenses in the darkroom. They do the job (well enough...).

So, used Elan 7E + Nifty Fifty...anyone have anything else to suggest? I've been borrowing my grandmother's AE-1 and her FD-mount 50mm f/1.8 every once in a while, before this.

EDIT:
    I've also been throwing around the idea of getting a Nikon 35mm SLR like the Nikon N80 and a Kenko Teleplus 1.4x Teleconverter I can use on both my D5100 and N80 with my current DX lenses, giving me ~24-80mm f/5-f/8 and an 80-420 f/6.3-f/8 lenses for my N80 camera and insane reach possibilities with my D5100 in nature (bird)/daylight scenarios. I want to get a 35mm f/1.8G for my D5100 too, which would become 50mm f/2.8 on the N80. While that would be quite slow (other than the f/2.8 prime @ full frame), it leaves me with interchangeable lenses for both of my cameras and a much simpler collection with less future pocket-hurt.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 02-06-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast

I still use my Canon AE1 and A1 for Black and White

If you are i High School I would stick with borrowing your Grandma's AE1. It is ideal for learning photography and I use to teach basic photography to adult classes.

Use the $200 to buy a second lens in the 28-105mm range or 70-210mm. Plenty to be found in Canon FD in the camera shops second hand self.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Addict
    If you have Nikon digital, its kinda logical to use same system. F100 might be good choice. Or if you prefer manual everything, there are older F3 and such.

For full-automatic, I would go with Dynax/Maxxum 7 (Konica Minolta), its one of most advanced film SLR. Another one would be Contax RTS 3 (less degree of automation, but some very interesting features, and it looks great). Unfortunately quite expensive.

Then theres classic Olympus OM-1 with biggest OVF for 35mm ever, which even when its pretty much full-manual camera is worth something. Well and Leica.

Tho as I said, if you have Nikon, maybe Nikon is best choice.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    If you are i High School I would stick with borrowing your Grandma's AE1. It is ideal for learning photography and I use to teach basic photography to adult classes.

Use the $200 to buy a second lens in the 28-105mm range or 70-210mm. Plenty to be found in Canon FD in the camera shops second hand self.
    I only get to use it once a month, at best...considering Canon uses EF mount lenses now would it not be better for me to get an EF mount camera? I've been shooting film and making my own prints for two years now and will do so increasingly more in the future, I plan to have my own home darkroom eventually. My girlfriend of 6 months, (a freshman in college, but take my high school relationship for what it is of course) is going to college to get a Bachelor's Degree in Photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    If you have Nikon digital, its kinda logical to use same system. F100 might be good choice. Or if you prefer manual everything, there are older F3 and such.

For full-automatic, I would go with Dynax/Maxxum 7 (Konica Minolta), its one of most advanced film SLR. Another one would be Contax RTS 3 (less degree of automation, but some very interesting features, and it looks great). Unfortunately quite expensive.

Then theres classic Olympus OM-1 with biggest OVF for 35mm ever, which even when its pretty much full-manual camera is worth something. Well and Leica.

Tho as I said, if you have Nikon, maybe Nikon is best choice.
    This is what I had thought, however what about the fact that I only have DX lenses? As far as I've seen on the web, the Kenko Teleconverter allows use of the DX lenses perfectly fine on an FX camera. However all of my lenses will become 1 stop slower.

I have looked at the F100 but I'm not sure I can justify paying $200-250 for a used body right now. I've been looking more at the F80 (I can get for less than half the price if I go this route.) I'd like to have a camera that offers all manual + full AF compatibility on the new AF lenses.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 02-07-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Smile