View Poll Results: Do you enjoy reading books even with tragic endings?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 85.71%
  • No

2 14.29%

Thread: Do you enjoy reading books even with "tragic" endings?

Xtreme Addict

Do you enjoy reading books even with "tragic" endings?

So if you read a book, say an Action Suspense novel or something of the likes, do you like tragic or otherwise unfortunate endings? Basically, sad endings where the protagonist survives, but is unable to make the heroic save.

Please be honest. I'm not interested in wise cracks. Although I know some surely may end up here, hehe. I can entertain that notion....
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    Lol I don't judge a whole story by how it ends, so I guess I'll have to say yes here :P
    ...although because I like to read stories, watch movies or television series while I eat, I tend to avoid stories about survival and disaster lol when I don't eat, I don't care ..so if a story catches me I will read it ^^ and I will cry till my eyes create double rainbows <3
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the input.

And guys... if you're going to vote, at least maybe tell me why you voted that way. Its an info gathering poll.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    I voted yes because I always root for the bad guys. Good guys win, everyone lives happily ever after... phht. Thats as cliche as the starbucks across the street from the starbucks thats right next to the other starbucks.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

all outta gum
    I voted yes, because I enjoy reading the book, I just don't enjoy the ending if it's tragic. I like when the ending gives hope that further good things will happen. Often the main story arc ends well, but further events are pictured and they are sadder than the culminating event. One example would be True Grit by Charles Portis. Even though the good guys win in the end, it comes at a great cost, and it's a very bitter success.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

NooB MOD
    I voted yes. Things don't always work out as planned in the real world either.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Foyle View Post
    I voted yes, because I enjoy reading the book, I just don't enjoy the ending if it's tragic. I like when the ending gives hope that further good things will happen. Often the main story arc ends well, but further events are pictured and they are sadder than the culminating event. One example would be True Grit by Charles Portis. Even though the good guys win in the end, it comes at a great cost, and it's a very bitter success.
    I can understand what you mean. Tragic ends with at least some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. Although, I gather that the sad ending would have the desired result. Although I wouldn't want to make folks angry at me.... just angry at the good guys for losing or something of the likes. hehe.
    Regards, Stew.....

c[_]
    I cant recall a book that i've read that had an ending where the subject didnt complete their objective. A tragic ending is one thing, but not completing the intended objective kind of seems to miss the point of the end of a story..

That said I cant vote yes or no given that I haven't (that I can recall) read a book (more technically a series maybe) that didnt end the book/series... However, I lean towards saying no if I knew beforehand that the "hero" useless.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Most plot lines have multiple objectives and sub-plots. I will make no mention of point of view, protagonist, or antagonist. Sometimes the Protagonist, for example, is the anti-hero.
    Regards, Stew.....

c[_]
    Of course, but if the story is not resolved by the end of the book (or series) .. well, its kind of pointless isnt it?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't read books anymore, haven't since I was little.
    Last books I read were the hobbit and the 1st lord of the rings book I think, not actually sure.
    Now I just read manga, which doesn't really even count as reading 'cause it's on the dr seuss lv.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Of course, but if the story is not resolved by the end of the book (or series) .. well, its kind of pointless isnt it?
    Oh, I understand what you mean now. Resolution and ending are two different things to me. Catastrophic consequences aside, I understand the mechanics. I am being vague on purpose, but I don't plan on leaving loose ends. I hate novels like that. I'm really just looking for whether or not tragic/catastrophic endings turn people off. hehe
    Last edited by Stewie007; 02-07-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I wouldn't mind a story where the Zombies win. I'll vote yes.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    Thats as cliche as the starbucks across the street from the starbucks thats right next to the other starbucks.
    lol one of the best thing's i've read in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Oh, I understand what you mean now. Resolution and ending are two different things to me. Catastrophic consequences aside, I understand the mechanics. I am being vague on purpose, but I don't plan on leaving loose ends. I hate novels like that. I'm really just looking for whether or not tragic/catastrophic endings turn people off. hehe
    kind of like how bruce willis off's himself at the end of sin city?
    asus p5q pro p45
    e8400 @ 3.6
    g.skill 4 x 2 gb ddr2 1066
    gigabtye 4850

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanman View Post
    Never saw Sin City.... hehehe

However, I guess you could say that.... just "a bit" more severe than that... ehehe
    Regards, Stew.....

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanman View Post
    Methinks that's a good ending; young woman lives, old man dies - fair trade.
    Maybe if you consider that Roark goes unpunished - but the reader/viewer knows from other sources that he doesn't really. Bishop Roark dies, yellow bastard dies, and senator Roark is left without a son or grandchildren.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Member
    A great book with tragic ending works infact better for me (ofcourse it depends on the book as well), normal novels with happy ending you read and forget about them, but a Novel with a tragic ending makes you keep thinking even after it ends.
    EVGA Classified (MSI XPower), 980X (i5 661, i5 680, i7 950, E8600, QX9650, E8400), Thermalright Venomous X , Kingston Hyper X 2000Mhz, MSI 480GTX (5870, 4870x2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT w/HR03GT), DELL E248WFP, CM Silent Power Pro 1000W, Seagate 1TB + 1TB + 500GB+500GB, Auzentech X-Plosion, CM Bench Station, AL 641, MX 518, New G15 Keyboard

i read marion zimmer bradley books and some do end very tragically, i like them because the emotion that she portrays feels very real when she does it. more so then happily ever after
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Addict
    I don't mind "happily ever after" endings, but I think that a good sense of realism is an order too. There are some positive conclusions to the sub-plot, or at least will be positive as I further develop them. Its like an earthquake that collapses the building that you are inside. There isn't anything that you can do about it, and I wanted to visit upon readers a feeling of ultimate helplessness and sadness. I don't generally let anybody read any excerpt but the select few test subjects seemed to like my idea surrounding the conclusion.

Since 11 people said Yes, I am getting the impression that so long as the story lines tie up appropriately, catastrophic conclusions are acceptable to most readers.

I just remember the first time I heard Adagio for Strings..... It was a choral version that Homeworld actually used (which I heard previous to that). It represents the Agnus Dei which is basically the final part of mass in the Catholic Church. I actually listened to it while writing part of the end.

You can look it up if you haven't heard the choral version. Its Agnus Dei by Samuel Barber, which was a rearrangement of Adagio for Strings done in 1967.
    Regards, Stew.....