Thread: Udacity, free online university created by Stanford teacher.

Xtreme Addict

Udacity, free online university created by Stanford teacher.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/stanford-professor-gives-up-teaching-position-hopes-to-reach-500000-students-at-online-start-up/35135

The Stanford University professor who taught an online artificial-intelligence course to more than 160,000 students has abandoned his teaching position to aim for an even bigger audience.

Sebastian Thrun, a research professor of computer science at Stanford, revealed today that he had given up his teaching role at the institution to found Udacity, a start-up offering low-cost online classes. He made the surprising announcement during a presentation at the Digital–Life–Design conference, in Munich, Germany. The development was first reported earlier today by Reuters.

During his talk, Mr. Thrun explored the origins of...
    http://www.udacity.com/

Very interesting, I'll be following this.

Xtreme Member
    Nice, I signed up for the search engine class, hope it's cool stuff.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Their upcoming courses are very interesting too..
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Cruncher
    Here's hoping it's useful and gets more people into the field.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Member
    I signed too

Xtreme Member
    i will give it a go
    Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.

I am Xtreme
    yea ill sign up for the building a search engine, its free anyways. I really don't like this kind of stuff but the syllabus looked interesting.

Xtreme Addict
    Signed up, looks interesting and I wonder how far this will go in the next few years
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Mentor
    wow good idea
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Member
    i had signed up for a machine learning class (which was similar to that by Mr Thrun's ai-class - thats how i got the link ) and that got cancelled, and when i checked their site all other such classes were cancelled - seems there was a fallout between the concerned universities and faculty over this ? i mean, what good would it do to stanford and mit if all their lectures were videotaped and available on youtube.com ? probably the reason why most of them are missing and never updated.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tao~ View Post
    i had signed up for a machine learning class (which was similar to that by Mr Thrun's ai-class - thats how i got the link ) and that got cancelled, and when i checked their site all other such classes were cancelled - seems there was a fallout between the concerned universities and faculty over this ? i mean, what good would it do to stanford and mit if all their lectures were videotaped and available on youtube.com ? probably the reason why most of them are missing and never updated.
    Largely what is wrong with our College/University system.. they are all money making schemes and have little interest in furthering the public's education; it just happens to be a side effect that they do further education while inhaling large amounts of money.

Xtreme Member
    Nice
    Intel Core i7 920@4GHz, ASUS GENE II, 3 x 4GB DDR-3 1333MHz Kingston, 2x ASUS HD6950 1G CU II, Intel SSD 320 120GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, DELL 2311HM

AMD FX8150 vs Intel 2500K, 1080p DX-11 gaming evaluation.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMinionX View Post
    Largely what is wrong with our College/University system.. they are all money making schemes and have little interest in furthering the public's education; it just happens to be a side effect that they do further education while inhaling large amounts of money.
    So very true. I might have to quote that in my sig.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by my87csx481 View Post
    So very true. I might have to quote that in my sig.
    Have at it!

“I feel like there’s a red pill and a blue pill,” he said. “And you can take the blue pill and go back to your classroom and lecture your 20 students. But I’ve taken the red pill, and I’ve seen Wonderland.” - Sebastian Thrun

I can only hope this mans dream becomes a reality, and we get one step closer to reform of these greedy institutions. Funny how you can be a kid these days, or even an adult for that matter; go to school for 2/4/6/8 years+ and still potentially come out with no job, no hope of a job and yet you have a loan for 100,000+ that you have to pay interest on over 10 or 20 years and hope that you get a job to pay it all back.

The whole system is a mess, under-qualified people that got the magic piece of paper (degree) are in jobs that there are much more qualified people out there that possibly don't have a degree, and will never be looked at because on their resume it doesnt have Bachelors, Masters, etc in whatever field. This isn't always the case, but there's quite a bit of this happening.. Remember C's get degrees and its the truth.

The whole fact you have to take electives and this other "renaissance" thinking universities like to hold on to is ridiculous. Sure be well rounded, but that comes with living life and experience.

It should not be up to a university to make you take a course that for the most part is BS and completely unrelated to your primary education. (IE- An electrical engineer having to take a course in enlightenment literature, just to fill the mandated curriculum) and if they are going to hold onto this archaic system, then don't charge for these courses. They are another way to suck more money out of you by making it a requirement to your primary education.

I can see why our country is heading the way it is; good ideas start with education, bad ideas start with ignorance and there is not enough people getting educated for one reason or another. I believe a large majority of this would change if education was more accessible, more cost efficient, and better tailored to what you want to do in life.

EDIT: Nuff said'.. Clearly this person has no idea, but the fact of the matter the following holds so much truth to the matter even in its poorly written state.

"Methinks the prof has taken too many pills. Using technology to enhance learning is one thing. Crass commercialization of teaching through for profit certificate mills is another. Stanford should sue the startup for stealing the course materials that the professor developed while he was on Stanford payroll." -Feynman007

This is something a University would do too, because they didn't get their cut of the pie; yet they operate under the guise of furthering education.. but only the education they provide, and attack all other sources of the once free "knowledge" they have learned to commercialize.
    Last edited by ChaosMinionX; 02-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm wondering how they intend to make money. Requiring a fee to get a certificate maybe?
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Knowledge and ideas are free.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

this is hilarious. i see parallels between this and SOPA. in both cases people are trying to claim "ownership" of ideas and knowledge.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 01Lude View Post
    i see parallels between this and SOPA.
    And I see parallels between Google's new Privacy pollicies and the fact the first course is "Build your own search engine".

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sounds pretty sweet as someone who always has trouble getting into a class
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Member
    This is very nice indeed. I just signed up too.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4ghz
    EVGA 590 GTX x2 Quad SLI
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB PC3-12800C8
    Western Digital 150 GB Velociraptor
    Corsair AX1200
    Asus Xonar Xense
    Custom Watercooling
    Lian Li Pc-P80 Armoursuit