Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Intel Haswell Pre-Production Sample Pictured

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Rumors, but I have read the exact same thing..
    hey where did your avatar go?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
    Which is not bad, considering they're bringing TDP (Intel's TDP, but neverthless) down by another 20 odd for mainstream performance (2500, 2600 replacement).
    Wow 2012 and ppl still bring this as argument... intel hasn't broken its TDP in ages (since the introduction of Core2).

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Put's on scratchy Mod hat..

Gentlemen:
    After 5 1/2 years here I am still amazed how a group of people who I perceive to be on average far above the norm in terms of God given inteligence
    can constantly argue over "What is better that isn't even out yet."
    Why? Is it the need to have the last word? A substitute for something else lacking in your lives?
    C'mon guys, this is our hobby. Something we all share a passion for so enjoy it and stop feeling the need to force your opinions
    on everyone else.
    You think AMD is better? Great, buy the product and support the company.
    Same with Intel.
    XS should be for sharing knowledge not for verbal jousting.
    Sure, share your opinions but if someone has a differing opinion don't see him as an enemy.
    See him as someone working from a different perspective than you are.
    Thanks for reading.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I believe the AMD Am9080 is the better than Haswell. It is already available and the proven performance is way better than these rumors. Two WHOLE megahurts!

50 cents to make.. sold at 700 dollars.. damn.. those were margins..

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerash View Post
    And add in what? $200 mil in research costs and how much in FAB redesign?
    Lots of money we never see involved in these things
    Last edited by Movieman; 02-06-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    hey where did your avatar go?
    Been a while since I removed the pic from XS.
    Had enough after 4th bloke adding my skype, hitting on me, thinking I was my girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Put's on scratchy Mod hat..

Gentlemen:
    After 5 1/2 years here I am still amazed how a group of people who I perceive to be on average far above the norm in terms of God given inteligence
    can constantly argue over "What is better that isn't even out yet."
    Why? Is it the need to have the last word? A substitute for something else lacking in your lives?
    C'mon guys, this is our hobby. Something we all share a passion for so enjoy it and stop feeling the need to force your opinions
    on everyone else.
    You think AMD is better? Great, buy the product and support the company.
    Same with Intel.
    XS should be for sharing knowledge not for verbal jousting.
    Sure, share your opinions but if someone has a differing opinion don't see him as an enemy.
    See him as someone working from a different perspective than you are.
    Thanks for reading.
    "Dave look at me" "I knooooow best, nananana"
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Pie assassin
    oddly enough, more than likely sourced from tax dollars. if they were sold to the military at $700 each, what kind of contract and funding do you think the government/military provided? we do it all the time even now.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    oddly enough, more than likely sourced from tax dollars. if they were sold to the military at $700 each, what kind of contract and funding do you think the government/military provided? we do it all the time even now.
    I agree but can you excuse me for a few minutes while I go and make some "adjustments" to Mark's account?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerash View Post
    Would love to see the math on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Been a while since I removed the pic from XS.
    Had enough after 4th bloke adding my skype, hitting on me, thinking I was my girlfriend.
    Are you trying to tell me you're not a girl!?!?!?!

What kind of Aussie bloke are you??? (goes back to watch Priscilla Queen of the Desert)

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    Are you trying to tell me you're not a girl!?!?!?!

What kind of Aussie bloke are you??? (goes back to watch Priscilla Queen of the Desert)
    Speaking of "not a girl" here's one of the reverse engineers of the 8080 (to create the Am9080 and eventually cross-license with Intel to produce 8080's in partnership to avoid monopolistic practices...) and thus one of the people who started AMD down the CPU path.......... erm, yeah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashawna_Hailey

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Speaking of "not a girl" here's one of the reverse engineers of the 8080 (to create the Am9080 and eventually cross-license with Intel to produce 8080's in partnership to avoid monopolistic practices...) and thus one of the people who started AMD down the CPU path.......... erm, yeah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashawna_Hailey

Hmmm. A stange piece of AMD trivia there... Huh...
    i7-2600K @ 4806Mhz 102.3x47 1.368v LinX stable
    MSI P67 GD-80
    16Gb Corsair 8-8-8-24 1T 818.2Mhz
    MSI GTX560Ti 1005/2250 1.062v
    Crucial m4 256Gb SSD
    Corsair TX850 | 64bit WIN7 Pro
    Custom watercooling
    47" 1080p LCD | Onkyo 876/ Polk 5.1 surround

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    dude..... that spun me out on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.... I think I am gonna go cry to my wife for a while... see if it eases the confusion.

Xtreme Member
    guessing on haswell now, is same as guessing on "Who is the stig"
    The second Stig was known to be Ben Collins years and years before he revealed himself.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Wow 2012 and ppl still bring this as argument... intel hasn't broken its TDP in ages (since the introduction of Core2).
    Actually they are breaking TDP on grand scale basis.... Ofcourse that is in the laptop segment, but still they do. Probably it is also possible on the desktop when using the gpu and cpu at the same time for different tasks. Although for desktop it would be a rare case, for laptops it isn't

Really? 2 People that reverse engineered a 4,500 transistor cpu in 1974 cost $200 mil..
    FAB redesign.. it was for 6um ... not 32nm. Im pretty sure back in the days.. R&D and FABS were orders cheaper than they are now.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by flyck View Post
    Actually they are breaking TDP on grand scale basis.... Ofcourse that is in the laptop segment, but still they do. Probably it is also possible on the desktop when using the gpu and cpu at the same time for different tasks. Although for desktop it would be a rare case, for laptops it isn't
    LoL. Do you understand what you're saying ? The TDP is the reference power value that the cooling solution has to dissipate. It's not a figure for your entertainment, but for designing the chassis, air ducts, cooler material, etc,etc. To go over TDP in the confined space of a notebook would mean smoke coming out of it in a few minutes.

Anyone who bothered to read how Intel calculates the TDP and what it represents would know that claims like " they're routinely going over TDP " are sheer nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    LoL. Do you understand what you're saying ? The TDP is the reference power value that the cooling solution has to dissipate. It's not a figure for your entertainment, but for designing the chassis, air ducts, cooler material, etc,etc. To go over TDP in the confined space of a notebook would mean smoke coming out of it in a few minutes.

Anyone who bothered to read how Intel calculates the TDP and what it represents would know that claims like " they're routinely going over TDP " are sheer nonsense.

Thats indeed the basics yes... I understand perfectly.. do you?

Why do you believe one of the turboboost descissions is temperature?
    Its very easy to get your intel 35W laptopchips to draw near 50W....

Intel turboboost is capable to OVERSHOOT TDP values IF temperature allows it... (guess what they have two components with a turboboost...). Which is not a big a problem for desktops but it is a problem for laptops. (for desktops: do some something AVX256 heavy and play a game on the gpu... you'll be amazed).

http://ark.intel.com/products/52229/...ache-2_50-GHz)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...u,2959-22.html

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    The second Stig was known to be Ben Collins years and years before he revealed himself.
    & Tiff Needell from 5th gear was the Stig that "died" on the hangar in a race against a jetflight.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Member
    & Tiff Needell from 5th gear was the Stig that "died" on the hangar in a race against a jetflight.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_McCarthy
    Perry McCarthy, an ex F1 driver, he was the first Stig.

Also, With Haswell, Intel was quoted to be cutting TDP and improving on graphics performance. Infact most of the information i have read on forums and web otherwise, was mostly about gpu. I go to AT, the bluest forum of all, and i see someone mention this 10% figure. Which is quite nice as they're trying to bring down power used by a mainstream quad to 45-30W range. Then the 10% ipc improvements makes sense. Also, Haswell will bring in many new ISA's, which means they don't need to beef up cores.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by flyck View Post
    Thats indeed the basics yes... I understand perfectly.. do you?

Why do you believe one of the turboboost descissions is temperature?
    Its very easy to get your intel 35W laptopchips to draw near 50W....

Intel turboboost is capable to OVERSHOOT TDP values IF temperature allows it... (guess what they have two components with a turboboost...). Which is not a big a problem for desktops but it is a problem for laptops. (for desktops: do some something AVX256 heavy and play a game on the gpu... you'll be amazed).

http://ark.intel.com/products/52229/...ache-2_50-GHz)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...u,2959-22.html
    Good thing you just showed us that neither AMD nor intel exceed there TDP for there CPUs. (jfyi Toms measures Platform consumption aka the whole notebook excluding screen)

Xtreme Member
    Before I get back on topic with HASWELL, I just wanted to say something about the speculation of unreleased product. Do you remember the last 2-3 years of AMD's execution and chip performance? Because I do. I constantly remember roadmap slips, over-promised performance and horrible execution. Why is there STILL so much faith in a company's unreleased product, to the point where you're arguing and flaming about it? It's like arguing the loser of the superbowl is still better than the winner, just silly.

Back to Haswell..I may have missed it but I saw no one mentioned the "haswell new instructions" aka AVX2, haswell will be getting. Is this stuff, new instructions, not significant anymore? I remember when SSE2-4 came out, it was always talked about and did provide some performance benefit in various media related benchmarks. I know the info is light at the moment, but haswell seems less sexy/exciting as sandy/ivy did...Personal opinion..but its probably cause we don't know much about it..
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    Back to Haswell..I may have missed it but I saw no one mentioned the "haswell new instructions" aka AVX2, haswell will be getting. Is this stuff, new instructions, not significant anymore? I remember when SSE2-4 came out, it was always talked about and did provide some performance benefit in various media related benchmarks. I know the info is light at the moment, but haswell seems less sexy/exciting as sandy/ivy did...Personal opinion..but its probably cause we don't know much about it..
    AVX2 will be the most used new instruction set since SSE2. Mostly because it's SSE2 extended to 256-bit operations. Everything video related (and not related too, but integer SIMD is king in video) uses SSE2 today, we'll see a significant boost in perfomance. However this will require recompilation as always, and we don't know the execution speed of those instructions compared to their SSE2 counterparts yet.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    AVX2 will be the most used new instruction set since SSE2. Mostly because it's SSE2 extended to 256-bit operations. Everything video related (and not related too, but integer SIMD is king in video) uses SSE2 today, we'll see a significant boost in perfomance. However this will require recompilation as always, and we don't know the execution speed of those instructions compared to their SSE2 counterparts yet.
    Wow..that's really good to know. I guess I'm excited about Haswell now. I do video for a living..I'm an independent videographer/editor. Hopefully the speed up that AVX2 brings to video is significant enough to notice. Hopefully its not solely related to decode/encode..
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast