Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASUS Xonar Essence One Review(s)

Xtreme Member

Cool ASUS Xonar Essence One Review(s)

Read the full review HERE @ KitGuru...

Not the most detailed of reviews and no technical measurements were taken but I suppose this may be an indicator of these units now becoming available to the general public after such a long wait. Expect to see more reviews soon I reckon...
    Last edited by SabreWulf69; 02-02-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Add me on Facebook
    -=<#*!! 5OUnD PHr33K !!*#>=-

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    I say lol omg, nice box tho

Xtreme Addict
    meh
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 02-02-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like a great solution for people with a desktop and a laptop who demand high quality audio for everything.

That guy has some really beautiful audio equipment, I'm pretty envious of those Little Dot tube amps. Parts of his equipment however, are just plain ridiculous (Look at the prices on the very bottom). It's nice to see that he went through every effort to ensure that nothing degraded/ hampered the quality of audio being produced by the Xonar for this review. Props to him.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Member
    Definitely some pretty nuts equipment he tested it with for sure....

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sounds like a great little package, but I'll keep my Grace m903.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
    Sounds like a great little package, but I'll keep my Grace m903.
    rather than give it to me? damn I wish you would change your mind, I had my heart set on it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Grace m903=$1900, that's serious
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Aussie God
    would love to read the review, but by god that is one sh1tty site....
    Everytime you want to scroll on a laptop, you click some annoying commercial and enters another page...

Added to the list of most sh1tty pages on the web, and wont visit kitguru again.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    would love to read the review, but by god that is one sh1tty site....
    Everytime you want to scroll on a laptop, you click some annoying commercial and enters another page...

Added to the list of most sh1tty pages on the web, and wont visit kitguru again.
    Works fine with NoScript + Adblock. :P

====

At that price you might find better alternatives (can't say which cause i haven't played the audiophile game for quite some time - but i doubt this is the best option in this price...). Unless you specifically need an external DAC and all the extra options it has to offer - you could do just fine with an ASUS Xonar Essence STX which is around 30% the price of Essence One.

Xtreme Guru
    Holy hell, what a well done review! How did those guys even afford the other audio equipment? Just ballparking it, it seems they totaled around $10k not including Xonar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Supporter
    I've used USB audio, which doesn't require custom drivers, for years now as I'm tired of the POS driver situation with sound cards. Unfortunately, everyone who has used XEO via USB has had bad things to say about it. More and more I'm tempted to just go with the tried and true DAC1 USB. The only thing that has stopped me is the price as it would merely be used on my gaming rig.

Xtreme Addict
    USB in general is pretty weak compared to S/PDIF.. coax is best, then optical 2nd.

As far as DAC1, get the Anedio instead... much fuller and not as digital sound as DAC1 (I compared against DAC1-PRE which is higher model then DAC1 USB)

http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/d2_overview
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtreme Cruncher
    Zardon has always had some high end equipment... known him from waaay back in the Driverheaven days when I used to mod there.

Xtreme Addict
    I love my Anedio D1 but I'm too scared to move it around... Essence One might be my 'take to work/take when travelling' option for headphone/speaker listening.

It does suck that they included balanced line out for speakers but left out the balanced amp circuitry.. they had 80% of the groundwork already done.. just a few extra IC's and you'd have a 4 pin balanced headphone out. But thats another $50.
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Xtreme Addict
    I love my Anedio D1 but I'm too scared to move it around... Essence One might be my 'take to work/take when travelling' option for headphone/speaker listening.

It does suck that they included balanced line out for speakers but left out the balanced amp circuitry.. they had 80% of the groundwork already done.. just a few extra IC's and you'd have a 4 pin balanced headphone out. But thats another $50.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    in my book, as soon as you start showing bias for cabling (with no link whatsoever with real life, physics and established power theory... I'm an engineer so you have to have some kind of numbers/graphs to convince me), you showed that you're a clueless fool and the review becomes pointless. Might as well say that painting the box red makes it sound better...

To elaborate, those expensive cables offer no appreciable benefit. The only difference is that you're left with a 1600$ cable that you can't differentiate from a 16$ cable in a true double-blind test. So yeah, of course you're going to want to brag that it is better, otherwise you're admitting that you just threw money out the window... This was true in the 70s, it is still true today. Snake oil, people, snake oil.

Also, I don't know any other review sites worth its salt that has such a retarded layout/ads situation. Think about it, if the guy wasn't spending so much on useless gear, would he need to throw so much advertisement at his readers? Half the review is "So I spent X on other unrelated gear, look at me, I'm so cool!" and the other half is subjective crap.

Not XS worthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    in my book, as soon as you start showing bias for cabling (with no link whatsoever with real life, physics and established power theory... I'm an engineer so you have to have some kind of numbers/graphs to convince me), you showed that you're a clueless fool and the review becomes pointless. Might as well say that painting the box red makes it sound better...

To elaborate, those expensive cables offer no appreciable benefit. The only difference is that you're left with a 1600$ cable that you can't differentiate from a 16$ cable in a true double-blind test. So yeah, of course you're going to want to brag that it is better, otherwise you're admitting that you just threw money out the window... This was true in the 70s, it is still true today. Snake oil, people, snake oil.

Also, I don't know any other review sites worth its salt that has such a retarded layout/ads situation. Think about it, if the guy wasn't spending so much on useless gear, would he need to throw so much advertisement at his readers? Half the review is "So I spent X on other unrelated gear, look at me, I'm so cool!" and the other half is subjective crap.

Advertising? You must still be in the 70s if you still see ads on webpages.

And as far as the cables go, while it might not be needed but you're not going to hook up a pair of Sony cables or the like when you are trying to achieve the best possible sound even if you cannot hear it (hence what most audiophiles do; they waste lots of money to achieve sound nirvana).

If you have several thousand invested in audio equipment, whats another $1600 for a cable? Even if it is subjective, a perceived difference in sound just from getting a "expensive cable" will make it all worth it in the end to an Audiophile.

EDIT: http://www.doublehelixcables.com/ is the site, read through some of the stuff on there.
    Last edited by ChaosMinionX; 02-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I think he was referring to something like those Audioquest cables vs something like some decent Bluejeans cables for example. Sure there is some actual cheap junk out there but still you don't have to go nuts in price to get some decent cabling. As I mentioned these aren't the sort of reviews I like, I prefer ones that have both objective and subjective results such as any reputable site that deals in audio reviews such as AVS and Audioholics for example.
    Last edited by SabreWulf69; 02-05-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreWulf69 View Post
    I think he was referring to something like those Audioquest cables vs something like some decent Bluejeans cables for example. Sure there is some actual cheap junk out there but still you don't have to go nuts in price to get some decent cabling. As I mentioned these aren't the sort of reviews I like, I prefer ones that have both objective and subjective results such as any reputable site that deals in audio reviews such as AVS and Audioholics for example.
    Fair enough... I will say I agree with your comment on AVS and Audioholics.

Xtreme Addict
    Just because you don't hear a difference, doesn't mean there is one. There's a VERY wide variety in hearing quality. Some people can identify the pitch of a note by hearing it. Most cannot. Thus, do you think those two people really hear the same thing when they listen to a musical piece?

Xtreme Addict
    There is some truth to quality cables equating to quality sound, but obviously not to the tune of $1600.

http://gizmodo.com/5210904/giz-expla...t-all-the-same
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/564978/13-c...dded-1-03-2012
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/humrejection.htm
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/whatwiredoes.htm
    http://outlawaudio.com/products/cab_about.html

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Guru

What kind of engineer though? I'm bio-electrical (hybrid concentration at Michigan that combines biomedical and electrical) and I can easily prove to you how conductance is related to power and noise
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Subjectively speaking no one won the competition to be able to provide a decent scientific explanation in a double blind test to explain the audible difference(s) between uber expensive cables and cheap ones. I think the guy was offering up to the tune of $1 Million to prove such differences.

Add me on Facebook

Xtreme Mentor
    Does this thing support Dolby headphone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast