Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitachi's New 4TB Hard Disk Drive - Yours for $377...

Xtreme Enthusiast

Cool Hitachi's New 4TB Hard Disk Drive - Yours for $377...

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies has quietly started to ship its hard disk drive with 4TB capacity with 7200rpm spindle speed. The new Deskstar 7K4000 hard drive weds extreme capacity with high performance and will likely become popular among enthusiasts this year.

The latest Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 drive (HDS724040ALE640) boasts 4TB capacity and uses five previous-generation 800GB platters with 446Gb/square inch areal density, Serial ATA-600 interface, 64MB cache as well as 7200rpm spindle speed. The new hard disk drives use advanced 4K format.
    Source:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...isk_Drive.html

I want one!
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Member
    5 platters, no thank you

Xtreme Enthusiast
    5 platters? Deathstar...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    5 platters? Deathstar...
    Never forget!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mechanical HDD's are dead to me. So slow, so sluggish.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    Great for larger storage though! I've got a 10tb array at home, and it's fairly full.

Some people have LOT's of data. You want all your movies, music, pictures, and other items on a home NAS so all your devices can use it? That'll cost you a kidney to do it on SSD.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Even then I have no need for large amounts of storage. However, I will admit that my wife needs the storage capacity as she is a web designer. She is sitting on 14TB's and we just recently purchased a QNAP as well (has yet to arrive).

As far as my media goes:
    Music - Grooveshark, or Spotify Premium - $10/mo
    Movies - Blu-Ray or Netflix/ Hulu - $20/mo

The days of needing lots of storage for media are almost to an end for most people. Soon everything will be in the cloud, everyone will even have a personal Dropbox. I love the progress that OnLive is making too. For a majority of people, this will help bring PC games to people who cannot afford nice gaming computers but have a decent internet connection or a mobile device, without the need to install 10-20GB/game.
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 01-31-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2

Xtreme Addict
    The network infrastructure for most is going to limit that.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    4tb, nice but horrible brand name of drive.
    I've seen 3 personally die within a year when they were going with the ibm name (1 mine, 2 of my buddies).
    Never again.

Besides, $400 for drive, no way.
    My 2x1tb array cost me around $160.
    I've love to jump up to 8tb's or so, but at the current prices I won't be doing that any time soon .
    2tb's is just not enough for me anymore.

I hate dvd's and such, I don't think I'll ever burn another dvd.
    Not when I can buy a drive and have it not beable to burn any disc's anymore after just a few months! (had 3 dvd drives do this to me, a diff buddy of mine had a dozen diff drives do the same to him)
    So no more disc's for me, so I need drives, but at the current prices, I'll just forgo it for now.

Edit:
    And btw, ssd's aren't that good when it comes to random data supposedly.
    In theory about 45m a sec, in real life, 3xmegs per sec?, supposedly that's what they do.
    A 2xr0 setup would outperform a single ssd when it came down to it.
    Last time I went with 2 drives in a array, next time 3 or 4 in a array raid 0.
    Performance wouldn't be all that bad for storage, it's not like booting up on a sdd or anything but still reasonable.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 01-31-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Even then I have no need for large amounts of storage. However, I will admit that my wife needs the storage capacity as she is a web designer. She is sitting on 14TB's and we just recently purchased a QNAP as well (has yet to arrive).

As far as my media goes:

The days of needing lots of storage for media are almost to an end for most people. Soon everything will be in the cloud, everyone will even have a personal Dropbox. I love the progress that OnLive is making too. For a majority of people, this will help bring PC games to people who cannot afford nice gaming computers but have a decent internet connection or a mobile device, without the need to install 10-20GB/game.
    I dont see cloud taking off until they remove these bandwidth caps or raise them. also, i would love not to share my personal pictures and movies with the world, if by chance these cloud storages get hacked.

For me, I need a lot of space because of all the foreign material i watch. streaming quality isnt good enough and it seems like more and more of the streaming sites are getting shut down.

Xtreme Guru
    for enterprise this is actually kinda bad news. with increasing capacities comes increasing issues. more data exposed to failures in a single blow, and more importantly huge super long rebuild times. and huge arrays that are hard to manage...

i want 10 of them personally though LOL
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Enthusiast

As far as my media goes:

If you're ok with horrible quality music and video I think that's fine but ther are plenty of people who need tons of storage space to justify their A/V gear.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Member
    Check some benchmarks for gaming performance between SSD and fast HDD. The difference is not worth the premium price for a SSD in terms of game load times and size. That's why any sensible gamer would get a sizeable 1TB+ HDD to store all games and a smaller SSD for OS/Programs. When 1TB SSDs fall in price in the future, then it would be the smarter choice.
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

I'll wait till prices come down, buying a hard drive now seems to be bad idea since the Thailand floods and short supply. Thankfully I have a SSD, god its awful booting Windows from a normal hard drive, so slow and painfully sluggish at times.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboDiv View Post
    Check some benchmarks for gaming performance between SSD and fast HDD. The difference is not worth the premium price for a SSD in terms of game load times and size. That's why any sensible gamer would get a sizeable 1TB+ HDD to store all games and a smaller SSD for OS/Programs. When 1TB SSDs fall in price in the future, then it would be the smarter choice.
    No spin up time is really good. No noise, low power, quicker installation of software. No issues about fragmentation. Seeking large files works so much better than mechanical drive.

I'm happy we have both technologies advancing.

Xtreme Addict
    I agree, I'm much looking forward to ssd tech, the price has come down ALOT, I can get a relatively top of the line ssd for $80, just that it only has 60gigs of storage.
    The only use I would have for that is os partitions galore, can't really fit much else but os'es on them :\.
    It would be like going back to the year 2000, and my 40gig ibm crapper.

Until the day comes when ssd's could completely replace old style drives, I'm not gonna bother with a bunch of ssd's.
    Though I am thinking about getting 1 ssd drive just for windows partitions.
    Found out recently it would be a poor choice for swap though, it's a tuff choice between a ram drive that gets around 130-180 megs per sec (un-buffered) and a ssd that does 500megs a sec (buffered) :\.
    Same price, the ram drive would outperform the ssd in some ways though, like swap usage would be 4x faster.
    Same exact price too, excluding the ram but I've already got some anyways for that.

At least the newer drives are lower wattage.
    I love the fact that my current array uses less power then a single normal drive .

There is one thing that was brought to my attention a few days ago.
    Seems as if external drives are priced slightly better then the internal ver's for some reason, last time I checked it was like this on newegg.

Xtreme Addict
    hitachi 7200rpm are perfect for storage - much faster than all those green power drives yet extremely quiet thanks to a very good acoustics management, my current 7K1000.Cs are the best HDDs i ever had - dead quiet nad more than fast enough to saturate my network when copying stuff to my laptop

sure for os usage WD and Seagate are a better choice due to the faster access time but they're extremely loud compared to hitachi drives
    Last edited by generics_user; 02-01-2012 at 01:41 AM.
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    Dat price. Where do I sign up?

These high platter drives have always been a bit of a gamble depending on your setup. However for higher end-mainstream mass storage Hitachi nailed the 2/3tb.
    The drives use 512b sectors (raid controllers still don't play ball 100% of the time with 4k drives), spin at 7200rpm as opposed to the lame 5400/5200 and use lower density but more platters. This all adds up to warm drives given reasonable but not too much cooling. Anyone who has done dealings with data will know you keep drives warm and not hot or cool unless you want data loss.

Western digital are the worst offenders with the 'green' drives, I should know as I used to use a stack of them and boy did they behave badly.

Will allow everyone else to beta test as usual.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

The price is sure to become less awful once the HDD shortage subsides. Lest anyone forget, all regular consumer drives (not SAS drives so much, thank goodness) are at about double their price from a year ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell for $175 under "normal" conditions.

As for platter count, who cares. Hitachi's big, affordable drives have been using 5 platters for ages. Despite the brand fear mongering, they've proven themselves to be quiet, reliable, and modestly fast.

And finally, if you're judging the Deskstar brand from the woes of the 60GXP or 75GXP series, you're about 8 years out of date. There was trouble with those due to the newness of some of the technologies used within them such as glass platters and giant magnetoresistive heads. New tech sometimes has problems--not a shocker. Those problems are far removed and here lately the 7K2000 and 7K3000 drives have been fantastic.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    There will always be people like me who do not want to put all their trust / everything "in the cloud", some people like to know that

- I'm running a full backup to my drive here, I have X number of days / weeks that I can refer back to
    - I have 1Gbps access or better to everything here ANYTIME regardless of connectivity to interwebs and there is no subscription worries

Yes I may also backup "to the cloud" but I will never trust my data to a company that I cannot scrutinize.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Edit:
    And btw, ssd's aren't that good when it comes to random data supposedly.
    In theory about 45m a sec, in real life, 3xmegs per sec?, supposedly that's what they do.
    A 2xr0 setup would outperform a single ssd when it came down to it.
    Last time I went with 2 drives in a array, next time 3 or 4 in a array raid 0.
    Performance wouldn't be all that bad for storage, it's not like booting up on a sdd or anything but still reasonable.
    Would it? How much do you think the mechanical drives can read and write at, when it comes to random files? Do you think they can fill the SATA connection? Wrong, random data is where SSDs are at. HDDs fail miserably when it comes to random since, at the very least, they have to move their heads like crazy, to access those randomly thrown around bits. Yes, SSDs suffer greatly, when it comes to random data, yet not nearly as much as mechanical drives.

Check your facts.

Administrator
    Man no kidding Pipi.

No real change in gaming performance with SSD vs HD... please, so much miss information. Levels load in the blink of an eye with SSD's.

I have been using SSD's for a long time and hate running a machine based on HD's anymore. Prices for them are not that bad now a days vs what they used to be. A 230gb SSD is plenty big enough for OS + Apps + Games, I mean unless you want your entire library of games installed all the time.

I love it when people run Raid 0's with large number of HD's. Thats just waiting for problems to happen, then have fun recovering your data. Even tho my current Raid 0 is 7x 32gb SSD's it backs up so fast with Arconis to a 1TB drive I don't even notice it in the back ground. I would rather just have 1x 230gb SSD's now, just less stuff to worry about for everyday rig.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 02-01-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher

As far as my media goes:

not long till dropbox feels the rath of the recent storage closures

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @TurboDiv
    When Windows 7 is up in 25seconds and I can be inside my TF2 server in under a minute, the SSD is clearly doing it's job. I'm not even on RAID 0 yet as Trim is not yet supported and once that driver is released and I convert to Raid O, that will double my throughput. In TF2, when the level changes, I am the first person to load into the next map because of my 550mb/s capable SSD, it's certainly not because of my sluggish 15mb/s internet connection and higher latency and it is definitely not my processor as a few other people on my server have far superior processors. My SSD drive has an impact on every single game that I have in my library, don't try to tell me otherwise while I am experiencing it first hand.

As for "premium price" some are mentioning; some of us buy slow inexpensive Hondas, other more fortunately individuals buy a $300,000 Ferrari. Is the difference in speed worth the premium price?
    On local streets, slightly. (Due to instant acceleration of the Ferrari and the SSD. The Honda has a slower acceleration time, just like how the HDD has to spin up)
    On the race track, yes. (In every aspect, speed, acceleration, turning, braking)
    The performance will vary depending on the situation but the Ferrari is certainly faster either way. In my opinion and personal experience, SDD's are totally worth the premium price.

@Levish
    I completely realize that not everyone is going to use "the cloud" for storage. The are far too many government regulations and privacy risks, I understand that. But we are the enthusiasts - a rare breed. General consumers will more than likely eat up the chance to enjoy this "cloud" idea until the government actively let's consumers know that all of their information is being scrutinized. Look at Google and their recent privacy changes. Look at Google's Chromium OS. Their entire success is built on the selling of what general consumers consider privacy. Not everyone is too happy about that either.

@Origin_Unknown
    As for a possible Dropbox closure, the users of Dropbox are (for the lack of a better word) uneducated if they aren't backing up their data elsewhere. That's kind of like users relying on just their mechanical hdd for all of their data and then getting pissed when it fails and they lose everything. It is never safe to completely rely on one storage solution but most consumers don't think about things like that ahead of time.

@Caparroz
    As for streaming quality. Spotify premium actually sounds pretty damn good in fact, it sounds even better than all the songs downloaded from iTunes, I think MOG is the only comparable service in terms of audio quality. Spotify premium uses a 320 kbps bitrate (they call it Q9) at this time. That means every track is just about CD quality (384 Kbps). To put Spotify's music quality into perspective a fully downloaded track from iTunes is just 160 kbps vs Spotify's 320kbps streaming. Depending on the soundcard (especially an integrate sound card)most users will not even notice the difference and it is certainly worth the $10/mo for an unlimited access to a sizeable library.

Netflix and HULU will never top the quality of Blu-Ray but you can bet that when it is illegally ripped onto your HDD or perhaps you get a copy via Bit-Torrent, it's quality is severely degraded to the point that most people's video collection (computer storage based) is of quality similar to that of Netflix or HULU streaming, if not worse.

@endlesszeal
    Bandwidth will soon become a thing of the past. The internet grows faster every year and as companies compete for your business you can bet that we will all benefit from it. 802.11ac is just around the corner (you can bet Apple be the first to adapt it in every device, Trendnet and Buffalo already offer 802.11ac routers) and what is after 4G will bring our mobile phones out of the dark ages.

Quick summary: The point is, our world is changing rapidly. We have many choices when it comes to storage mediums. Internet is getting faster and more regulated, consumers aren't complaining about privacy issues as much as they should, and people need to learn to not become to heavily reliant on a single storage solution.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    5 platters? Deathstar...
    What did you expect???
    Those are 800GB platters in there! *facepalm*
    I own one of the 750GB single-platter Deskstar, extremely quiet and fast drive.
    I guess you expected a 4 x 1TB/platter drive.

Someone take a screenshot, or sig me, I'm with Particle on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Man no kidding Pipi.

No real change in gaming performance with SSD vs HD... please, so much miss information. Levels load in the blink of an eye with SSD's.

I have been using SSD's for a long time and hate running a machine based on HD's anymore. Prices for them are not that bad now a days vs what they used to be. A 230gb SSD is plenty big enough for OS + Apps + Games, I mean unless you want your entire library of games installed all the time.

I love it when people run Raid 0's with large number of HD's. Thats just waiting for problems to happen, then have fun recovering your data. Even tho my current Raid 0 is 7x 32gb SSD's it backs up so fast with Arconis to a 1TB drive I don't even notice it in the back ground. I would rather just have 1x 230gb SSD's now, just less stuff to worry about for everyday rig.
    As if MLC SSD's are more reliable. (...and totally as recoverable, right?)

What are these levels? Some games benefit, some do not.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 02-01-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Smile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast