Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Swiftech Komodo HD7970 Preview

Xtreme Member
    awesome looking block. i just love how swiftech pre-installs thermal pads. saves a crapload of time when you're installing the block.

i7 4770K [L315B347]
    Gigabyte Z97 SOC Force
    F3-2600C10D-8GTXD | F3-2666C11Q-16GTXD
    GTX780 Epower2
    Corsair AX1200i
    TRUE Copper| Custom Water | Kingpin Venom 6.66 | Kingpin Tek-9 Fat

i7 4770K [L312B515] | Asus Max VI Impact | 2x8GB Kingston 1600c10
    600GB WD Velociraptor
    GTX580 Classified
    Silverstone M600W Strider
    Coolermaster Elite 130

i3 3225 | Asrock B75M Pro3 | 2x4gb Kingston 1333c9
    Intel 520 60GB | LSI 9211-8i | 6x Seagate 4TB
    Silverstone M600W Strider
    Silverstone GD08

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
    1. You have to use the "metal thing" from the orginal air cooler in the middle with the longer swiftech screws and orig. springs. there is only a picture in the manual without detailed infos
    2. Nope, because i tested several blocks for a review i use always the same paste
    3. yes, i just mounted the block for my test followed by 2-3 other blocks afterwards
    4. Exactly, the sticker looks good and smooth.
    Performance is very good
    slight correction: you use the AMD cross-bracket exactly as is, with the AMD springs and screws. we redesigned the standoffs surrounding the GPU to protrude on the back of the PCB exactly like the stock air cooler, so you just take your stock air cooler bracket and use it to fasten the board to the waterblock.

Quote Originally Posted by ElGreco View Post
    Fantastic!

Thanks a lot for your answer...

It would be nice to know also about which thermal paste is considered to be the best for this kind of "operation". Please have a look at your PM

@Gabe Would tou please tell us the thermal paste brand included with the Komodo?

Thanks!
    it ships with Swiftech's own paste, TIM-Mate.
    CEO Swiftech

Does the block work with the so called OC designs? eg VTX3D X-Edition, Sapphire OC Dual-X card and such.
    They seem to have a 6+1 power design and not the 5+1 of the reference card. The difference is minimal and I doubt it will be an issue but I could be wrong offcorse.

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm, i cannot confirm, if differences in PCB are really that minimal in this particular case, but question seems interesting in general. For cases of custom PCBs to have only little differences and need slight adaptation, imho it's really worth to release V2 of block with those updates, instead of not releasing any but initial for reference PCB, or instead keeping producing both V1 & V2.
    Probably though extra care should be taken for alignment of inlets of V1 vs V2 to be same, for SLI/CF water bridges to be usable between diff. versions of blocks. And as some of such custom PCBs are of higher height, then maybe design inlets spaced higher above side of even reference PCB card V1 blocks since the beginning in future.

I don't suppose there is a Komodo in the works for the 680 is there? I love the way the Komodo looks, but this gen I'm going with Nvidia.

Mr Swiftech
    I did the following for fun only - my own fun.. I got tired of CAD, Accounting, web site, etc.. all the things I do that must be done, or the world falls apart.. Been itching for overclocking lately.

Hooked up (1) 7970 + (1) 7950 with Komodo's in XFire (the komodo 7950 is in production now), as well a prototype TEC block I had laying around . I needed the extra CPU cooling because our bench CPU is an older 3930K that could never O/C past 4.8 with any sort of stability (at least no enough to run benchies) - Managed to boost it up a couple 100 Mgz, to 5.0 - Nothing to write home about as I'm seeing that many of these CPU's now do 5.2 just on water, but I needed the extra points to beat the score of a good buddy of mine (Doc, if you read this..)

Here is what I got:

I'm pretty sure it would have been possible to push higher, but my mobo started to show obvious signs of condensation, because I had'nt taken the time to prep it properly with gaskets, grease & conformal coating etc.. (sloppy sloppy). So I stopped there. Let the poor thing dry out over the week-end..and hope he'll be in a good mood on Monday.

Conclusions:
    - MSI Afterburner (Beta) wouldn't let me OC the 7950. Trixx did, by disabling the Lower Power Mode. Still kinda flaky IMO but maybe due to some OS instability (5.0Ghz is really pushing it for this particular piece of silicon)
    - Komodo's worked flawless; didn't record temps as I was after some scores, but judging by the decent OC at a fairly high voltage (1.3v for both GPU's) I see no problem there.
    - TEC block didn't have enough juice, as the 24 v PSU is on the other side of the room, and I had to run with a meanwell at 13v. 3930's still have too high a TDP for this unit, which explains why I had to crank up the v to 1.55 ; but I do have good hope that Ivy Bridge could be a very good candidate for a good TEC block. Let's wait and see when we get our sample CPU's.
    CEO Swiftech

@gabe
    Its really nice to see that from time to time you dont forget o have some fun also with this stuff

I would suggest to use the brand new TriXX software, released 2 days ago or/and MSI AB non beta that also released 3 days ago plus the 12.4 catalyst drivers... yes also released 2 days ago

Nice job/story
    Last edited by ElGreco; 04-27-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Mr Swiftech
    already using trixx 4.3 - downloading 12.4 now.
    CEO Swiftech

Gabe does the 6+1 power design of some OC cards like the VTX3D X-Edition and the Sapphire OC affect the mounting of the blocks? as they have an extra cap above the reference card.

Mr Swiftech
    And here are the final scores for this particular setup, which is 7970 + 7950 in XFire, with a couple of Komodo's 7900 blocks - The 7950 is really the limiting factor in this arguably odd setup.

CEO Swiftech

Mr Swiftech
    @Hakker:

In theory yes: anything non reference is going to get in the way. do you have pics of the naked boards?
    CEO Swiftech

Last edited by Hakker; 04-29-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Mr Swiftech
    @Hakker:

The VTX3D X-Edition is not AMD made, but the design visually follows the reference model.

The Sapphire is clearly marked as an AMD reference board; in fact it was used for a high-end build by Anthony Reynolds and Elric Phares of Motherboards.org; check out the details on Facebook here.

CEO Swiftech

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    @Hakker:

The VTX3D X-Edition is not AMD made, but the design visually follows the reference model.

The Sapphire is clearly marked as an AMD reference board; in fact it was used for a high-end build by Anthony Reynolds and Elric Phares of Motherboards.org; check out the details on Facebook here.

This is a very nice build!

@Gabe...
    What is the exact length of the tube-bridge used between the 2 blocks?
    Have you measured perhaps what is the minimum flow required for the komodo blocks to operte efficiently?

I ask these 2 questions, because eventhough i love and will try the parallel bridge X2, i am concerned about the split flow, that might not bit sufficient. In such case i will have to use a single-series bridge

PS: (My order is currently being processed by customs)

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by ElGreco View Post
    This is a very nice build!

@Gabe...
    What is the exact length of the tube-bridge used between the 2 blocks?
    Have you measured perhaps what is the minimum flow required for the komodo blocks to operte efficiently?

I ask these 2 questions, because eventhough i love and will try the parallel bridge X2, i am concerned about the split flow, that might not bit sufficient. In such case i will have to use a single-series bridge

PS: (My order is currently being processed by customs)
    exact length:

Flow: see post here

I did this with parallel setup.
    CEO Swiftech

After seing the build for second time i realized its parallel config but still i cannot see in the post you mention the minimum flow required for the blocks to work efficiently (ml/min)
    Also, i certainly know about the Lck Seal male to male conector, but since i made the mistake not to order a couple from you, and currently its not available in Europe , i need an alternative solution, if the parallel bridge does not work as expected with my limited flow. In that case i need to know the exact length of the bridge tube required and not the adjustable length of lock seal that would be definately the best solution...

Xtreme Guru
    ElGreco: imho 0.25-0.28gpm should be minimum for gpu full cover blocks. If parallel, that means you nead at least 0.5 gpm in overall loop with two cards in parallel and 1 gpm with four in parallel. If you get less with four, i'd sugest to connect in parallel by pairs of cards this way both lowering a bit flow resistance yet not dropping partial flow through each card too much. (imho it would benefit for most vendors that make SLI/CF bridges to design this way their longest ones for biggest number of cards). (and maybe middle length for three cards as well, as in first cards in parallel, last one in serial. but that's my wild guess, in my mind compensating with higher flow in last one a little bit preheated water by first cards)
    Last edited by Church; 05-01-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    ElGreco: imho 0.25-0.28gpm should be minimum for gpu full cover blocks. If parallel, that means you nead at least 0.5 gpm in overall loop with two cards in parallel and 1 gpm with four in parallel. If you get less with four, i'd sugest to connect in parallel by pairs of cards this way both lowering a bit flow resistance yet not dropping partial flow through each card too much. (imho it would benefit for most vendors that make SLI/CF bridges to design this way their longest ones for biggest number of cards). (and maybe middle length for three cards as well, as in first cards in parallel, last one in serial. but that's my wild guess, in my mind compensating with higher flow in last one a little bit preheated water by first cards)
    Thank you for your reply... I think i will be able to make 0.8 GPM, so 0.4 should be ok based to your words...

Thanks!

Hi all!

I just received my 2 Komodo blocks and must admit, it was worth the waiting... really beautiful blocks. My only concern is that both blocks (especially one of the two) appear to have quite a few small bumps on the sticker over the screws position.

Does any of you whohave ordered the second batch of these blocks -without the cosmetic defect- have come across this cosmetic issue?

I have already sent email to Gabe, just in case there was an accidental mix-up of the block batch and wait for his reply...

I purchased from the first run of blocks and yes I have "bubbles" around the screw holes.
    I didn't care, I was tired of waiting to rid my self of the noise the stock air cooler made.
    I'm the only one that would know they were there anyway.

I did have a problem with my komodo, I sent pictures to Help@swiftech, talked to Stephen on the phone and later that day talked to Gabe on the phone as well.
    After a 45 min. conversation with Gabe attempting to trouble shoot my problem, he asked me to send my card and block to him to see what the issue/solution was/ would be.
    In looking at the pictures I sent him, he said it looked like a poor GPU contact problem, I was looking for a grounding/shorting problem.
    After a couple more re-mounts I took him up on his suggestion.
    He had the card for less than a day, solved the poor contact issue and sent it back along with some compression fittings for my troubles.

I have only had the pleasure of being able to speak directly with the CEO of two companies in my 40 years of existence.
    Gabe was one of them.
    I usually get the feeling that I'm being rushed off the phone, but not with Gabe and Stephen.
    They kept asking and explaining until we could reach an acceptable solution.
    I am happy I bought the komodo and will not hesitate to purchase more Swiftech products in the future because I know any issues will be taken care of quickly and to my satisfaction.
    Customer service still exists!!

You are correct, these are awesome looking blocks.
    I haven't oc'd it yet.
    When I received the card/block back I ran furmark, the 7970 never got over 42C with its stock settings.
    Hopefully, soon, I'll have the time to crank this card up and see what it's capable of.

Thanks to Gabe and Stephen for wanting to produce a quality product and caring about the end user, me!!
    MSi z68 (Gen3)
    Samsung 830
    AMD 7970
    16 GB. Ripjaws
    Antec 1200

I fully understand your satisfaction about the customer care provided by Swiftech (Gabe, Stephen, Michelle). I have exchanged dozens of emails with Gabe and he was always there to support. They are real professionals!

Regarding the bubbles, I already discussed this with Gabe, since I had ordered the NEW batch of the blcks and should not see any, but it seems i am not that lucky. Gabe is looking on this issue, but still i will keep the blocks. (once more he immediately responded to my email, eventhough i am sure that he was very busy with the release of the new collection of fittings by swiftech )

Below is a picture where i compare the two blocks i got, side by side. The left block is perfect (only 3 minor bumps) while the right block has a not so good sticker job with more than 9 big bubbles. That what worries me a little is that it seems that the screws underneath the sticker protrude not in the same amount, others more, others less, others nt at all and i dont know if some are overtightened while others are loose. By the way, the bubbles on the right block are much more visible than shown in the picture...
    ...you have something similar to the right block (bubble wise) or is it better in your case?
    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7692/komodoa.jpg

Also, I would really like to know what was the exact problem of your block, since i have already lost a card due to a severely bending swiftech epsilon block and cannot afford to loose my 2x 7970. As so, i have become very conservative and have to double check everything before the installation!
    Last edited by ElGreco; 05-06-2012 at 07:14 PM.

After installing the block my pc wouldn't get into windows.
    I managed to get to the login screen a couple of times, but my monitor kept going into standby.

Gabe found the standoffs were not tightened all the way down, 0.1mm out of specification is what he told me.
    Before I sent the card and block to him I did find one of the standoffs not tight.
    I tightened it down, however I never felt it bottom out.
    I was concerned I would strip something out.
    I did two more installs, but the contact to the GPU didn't seem to improve very much.

I thanked Gabe and Stephen, but forgot to thank Michelle.
    Thanks Michelle!

The bubbles on my block look allot more pronounced on my sticker than the ones in your pics, but that could be just the pics.
    MSi z68 (Gen3)
    Samsung 830
    AMD 7970
    16 GB. Ripjaws
    Antec 1200

Xtreme Guru
    gabe: at another thread i had to remember to specifically note that swiftech's blocks will be for EVGA only, when listing LC vendors possibly making blocks. Are there any plans restart making/selling standalone retail swiftech blocks for nvidia gpus in future? Does agreement with evga prohibits selling only blocks designed for them or for nvidia cards in general (in later case imho there could be designed/produced a bit different nvidia full cover blocks, "for general public"). Otherwise last block by swiftech were gtx295 epsilon which is a bit .. for not exactly most current cards , and imho you miss some share of potential market.

Mr Swiftech
    Swiftech's Komodo HD7970 full cover VGA waterblocs featured in AMD's Game Blog
    Pictures are worth a thousand words; in this instance, the pic is so gorgeous I just couldn't resist posting it here.. such a magnificient example of a CrossFireX™ setup using Komodo waterblocks with an AMDŽ platform... Darn, I wish I knew how to take pics like this!

Oh, and wait.. no crop circles anywhere

Last edited by gabe; 06-09-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast