Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1st ln2 experience! FX-8150 Bulldozer on the Asus Crosshair V Formula

silver wall jumper X

Great benching there!!!

I am Xtreme
    Thanks guys!

-_-
    Next thing you know you will have 230L tanks delivered to your house on a weekly basis.
    Very nice benching
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I'll add my name to this elpida graveyard as soon I even think about running 32M. (yes, the thought is enough)

I am Xtreme
    Question - I have two digital themometers that only seem to go up to like mid -130's do i need a better theremometer for ln2?
    What is everyone using?
    What's best for not too much $$$?
    Thanks!

I am Xtreme
    try changing the batteries. if they don't work usually its the probe.

get the UEI dt304 it has 4 ktypes. just change batteries if the indicator blinks to avoid sending it back for warranty work. they have good after sales service. i sent 3 meters already for warranty. 38$ if you don't have a receipt. keep the receipt for free warranty work.

Mr Steve, you might try getting different probes if you are not satisfied with the readings on your current thermometer.

I have had experience with a good number of different probe brands or models, as a result of borrowing team loaner pots and attending benching parties over at OC in the past. Using the same thermometer, readings when running full pot have varied for me from -160 to -196 or so. I can plug in one lead, and get -170 (like my current probes) then plug in another and get -190... It's just the probes in my case which make the difference.

For me, this is fine as when it reads -170 or so I know its really -190 or so as long as the pot isn't empty. I bought these probes at grainger, and I could try some different ones, but I don't remember the brand I have to ensure I try something different, so I just haven't bothered getting different ones. All the probes I've tried are the same basic k type probes, I don't know why the readings vary when the ratings do not.

I picked up a tenma 72-7712, and I have been very happy with it. It's the same as this one:
    http://www.overclockers.com/testing-...-thermocouple/

You want something with dual or quad support to control costs, cheaper to get a thermometer that supports multiple probes than buying more thermometers. Generally, the accuracy or quality doesn't matter as much for our purposes as does the changes - every probe I've used is accurate enough to identify a coldbug and work around it, so I wouldn't overpay for a better quality probe.
    Last edited by imog; 02-01-2012 at 02:29 PM.

I am Xtreme
    for k types..this is whats included in the dt300 series

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ue...3914?ref=gbase

I've tried maybe 10+ of them, and they all work great

I am Xtreme
    ^^ Sounds great guys, thanks!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y. View Post
    Next thing you know you will have 230L tanks delivered to your house on a weekly basis.
    Very nice benching
    yeah steve is going to get sucked in.

-150c Club Member
    No one else mentioned it, so i'll bite.
    What's with the 8 independent power supply looking suckers?

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

I am Xtreme
    acards baby

google this: acard 9010

-150c Club Member
    Whoa.
    Price * Pile I see....

Is the performance really worth it?

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

I am Xtreme
    stevero is the ranked #1 in hwbot with regards to storage+cpu benchmarks

some have super es gulftowns...

our hero stevero has the god mode storage

@noob of leet: From someone trying to compete against Steve, it is worth it. His setup and experience makes for pretty tough competition.

From someone on a budget, on many setups and platforms you can compete with Steves numbers pretty well with a good raid controller and good SSDs (he will beat you badly on some setups however). Like 3 or 4 good SSDs (more helps). If you are doing it right on a budget, you are spending over 1K on storage, maybe close to a grand though if you buy smart on the used market.

I don't know what it cost him, or where he sourced it, but ballpark I'd put 10 x ANS 9010 at 3 grand as it seems they could cost about $300/piece. That is without ram, I don't know what DDR2 costs to populate each one. I think you would need 2 sticks per ANS 9010, so thats 20 sticks of DDR2. It doesn't have to be spectacular RAM I wouldn't think. You need 2 sata connections per ANS 9010, which come on some fan cables that should run you about 10 bucks each, and you'll need 5 of them to connect every ANS 9010.

I don't know what it would cost, but I'd put a conservative estimate at 4K on a storage setup like his, assuming you bought smart - you could cut that a lot if you can find the ram drives at a lower price, but I don't know where to get them for cheap.

I am Xtreme
    ^^ I bot it all over several months and i tried hard NOT to add up the cost - but you are probably pretty close on what i spent

Awesome Smashed me on PCMark 07 How munch u spend on you're set up close to 4K if so wow nice score.
    May I ask how long have u been OC for

I am Xtreme
    ^^ on the bot for just a year and a half - serious in the storage performance arena probably a year before that.

Xtreme Recruit
    Good job

Good benching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12