Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st ln2 experience! FX-8150 Bulldozer on the Asus Crosshair V Formula

I am Xtreme

My 1st ln2 experience! FX-8150 Bulldozer on the Asus Crosshair V Formula

My 1st ln2 experience! FX-8150 Bulldozer on the Asus Crosshair V Formula

Much thanks to both my Xtremesystems teammates and my wife for putting up with me.

I probably could have done better with max cpu speed here but I couldn’t get cpuz to register anything but the speed of core 0. I was using PSCheck to set the multi for each core separately. So core 0 was all I could test. I have 7 other cores that I have yet to test!!

I had better luck with pcmark05, storage was areca 1880 with 15xR0 acard 9010s.
    Mr. IMOG – your turn sir!

I didn’t break any h/w from what I can tell and only a little sore back from lugging the ln2.
    All and all I think I had a good 1st experience!

(reposted here in xtreme overclocking, removed from xtr. benching).

Screen shots and happy snaps to follow!

Pics to follow -

Last edited by SteveRo; 01-28-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    man that looks like so much fun, great job Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Xtreme Member
    Good stuff Steve, but wouldn't that count as x4 cpu class since you have the other cores disabled?

Not bad for a first-timer!

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

I am Xtreme
    Mike - The way it works is you can always disable cores and compete in the core class for which the chip is built but not the other way around.
    An example of the "other way around" is you can unlock the 3rd or 4rth cores on some 2 core Phenoms.
    If you do this - those Phenoms compete only against other 3 or 4 core processors respectively - not against the unlocked 2x.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SteveRo; 01-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Ok, that explains it. I wasn't exactly sure how it works in that situation. I don't think i've ever seen someone disable cores. I know that you can run the x2 phenoms as x3 or x4, but have never seen someone disable cores. I also know that you cannot disable cores and submit for a lower core class.

None the less, very nice results. BTW, you wouldn't want to buy a withdrawal device

Xtreme Member
    great job but you have to break some thing to break virginity

I am Xtreme
    nice job, where did you get your LN2 rental?

I am Xtreme
    Sin - I went out to a Praxair outlet in Winchester - its probably close to an hour away for me - I need something closer

I am Xtreme
    lol yea i went to my place and they said all their dewars had been out for a while and they didn't know when they would get them back. So i gotta find a new place, if i do ill let you know.

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    welcome in the circle of ln2-junkies

good start - right click on the cpuz window and selecting the core doesn't work anymore? that was how I did it back in my amd days
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Nice work! The Pcmark 05 battles have been fun to watch.

Xtreme Member
    Nice work, Steve! It's been a blast to watch you and IMOG duke it out

I am Xtreme
    Not settling for 2nd best

Not settling with cascade

SteveRo @ XS FTW!

Proud of you bro!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well done SteveRo! I have a distinct feeling IMOG will be back for blood though. Hope you have backups. :p

Did Airgas match the receipts?
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

I am Xtreme
    Yes, much thanks for that! I'm sure it helped. The hqs in Hagerstown didn't have a 10L dewar only a 25, so they filled and sent that. They charged me the same $33 price - so like $1.32/liter and that included the use of the dewar - not too bad I would think

Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    Well done SteveRo!

Did Airgas match the receipts?
    Last edited by SteveRo; 01-28-2012 at 02:16 AM.

I am Xtreme
    OK thanks for solving that mystery for me!
    So that was a major blunder on my part - looks like that was the piece I was missing - a newbie mistake for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by SoF View Post
    welcome in the circle of ln2-junkies

good start - right click on the cpuz window and selecting the core doesn't work anymore? that was how I did it back in my amd days
    Last edited by SteveRo; 01-28-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice one steve

Xtreme Member
    Great OC dude, to be your first time in LN2 was well !!!
    "We Overclock and Crunch you to the Ground" - DDTUNG

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel Core i7 3960X @ 4.0GHz HT 1.2V - On Water
    4x8GB ADATA XPG V2@ 2800 12-14-14-35 1T
    2x ADATA SSD XPG SX900 256GB RAID0
    2x Seagate 2TB
    SLI GTX 680 by ASUS
    Seasonic Extreme 1250 Watts
    Solid Tech-Station - Cosmos II
    Z5500 Sound Speakers

Posted on your HWBot submission, but again, nice job.

7.144 through pcm05 at 1.9V is good - that is a quality chip there. I would expect if you get to spend more time you will find more headroom in CPUz (check my how to 8GHz article on OC if you haven't already, there are a couple small things I did that were important for the last 500MHz). My 8120 did 8.2GHz, but I doubt I can run PCM05 at your frequency with those volts. I was expecting to see something higher than 1.9V in the screenshot to go along with that frequency, in light of the multithreaded tests and all.

I'm sick and not getting much healthier today, so I can't go out in my freezing garage to strike back... So I brought all my benching gear into the kitchen. Gonna eat something, nap, then see if I can keep this entertaining. Do I get bonus points if I take back 1st without breathing through my nose?
    Last edited by imog; 01-28-2012 at 02:15 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    Yes, much thanks for that! I'm sure it helped. The hqs in Hagerstown didn't have a 10L dewar only a 25, so they filled and sent that. They charged me the same $33 price - so like $1.32/liter and that included the use of the dewar - not too bad I would think
    hagerstown? holy crap that is far lol, especially form warrenton. I usually get mine from robert's oxygen.

I am Xtreme
    I thought you were being awful quite there!
    Hope you get well soon - meanwhile - good luck on your oc!
    We will have to ask Massman about bonus points!

Quote Originally Posted by imog View Post
    Posted on your HWBot submission, but again, nice job.

7.144 through pcm05 at 1.9V is good - that is a quality chip there. I would expect if you get to spend more time you will find more headroom in CPUz (check my how to 8GHz article on OC if you haven't already, there are a couple small things I did that were important for the last 500MHz). My 8120 did 8.2GHz, but I doubt I can run PCM05 at your frequency with those volts. I was expecting to see something higher than 1.9V in the screenshot to go along with that frequency, in light of the multithreaded tests and all.

I'm sick and not getting much healthier today, so I can't go out in my freezing garage to strike back... So I brought all my benching gear into the kitchen. Gonna eat something, nap, then see if I can keep this entertaining. Do I get bonus points if I take back 1st without breathing through my nose?

Xtreme Mentor
    Great first try SteveRo

Back to you SteveRo, got a good run in tonight! Good luck with your next go at it!

Now's the time for us to have some cheap fun with these chips. Once Intel brings an 8 core to the party, we'll have a whole different ballgame on our hands.

Xtreme Member
    nice run man , very nice
    http://www.xtremehardware.com/

The Best Scene of Hardware In Italy

Follow Us And Add Me http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003658778509

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast