Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources: The Next Xbox Will Play Blu-Ray, May Not Play Used Games

Xtreme Member

Sources: The Next Xbox Will Play Blu-Ray, May Not Play Used Games

http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-th...oduce-kinect-2

But that disc detail could be far less impactful to the next generation of game consoles than the assertion I've heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their so-called Xbox 720.

It's not clear if that means that the system wouldn't play used games or how such a set-up would work. Obvious approaches—I'm theorizing here—like linking a copy of a game to a specific Xbox Live account could seemingly be foiled by used-game owners who would keep their system offline. My source wasn't sure how Microsoft intended to implement any anti-used game system in the new machine.

A push in any way by Microsoft against used games would likely be cheered from publishers sick of seeing retailers like GameStop crow about their revenues from the sale of used games. But it could potentially anger consumers who rely on buying cheaply-sold used games or even pass games to relatives or friends.

-----------

online pass for all singe player games? heh
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Member
    im betting on "not playing used games" is more along the lines of, "not full featured." similar to what EA, or whatever company it was, having a passcode that is good for one console and allows access to content not available to a used copy. however, if it is truly, "no used games" period, i will never buy or support a system like that and im sure millions of consumers will feel the same.

I am Xtreme
    there will need to be a major overhaul for this to work out

gamestop could boycott the console
    digital distribution could change the cost structure reducing the initial release price from 60 back down to 50
    gamestop might have to sell add on packs exclusively to earn what would be lost through used sales.
    or valve buys out gamestop and makes the steam store where you can demo new games or meet up with friends or earn achievements by showing up at parties. who knows what.

but if this is true, then things will change in the next few years for sure.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Bit similar to steam then, how you can't sell a game once you have played it. Sucks but its just the way it is now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip_J_Fry View Post
    http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-th...oduce-kinect-2
    My source wasn't sure how Microsoft intended to implement any anti-used game system in the new machine.
    Until I hear it from MS, it's a rumor, and I'm not taking it seriously.

It sounds more like one of those ideas that got mentioned during an early production or ideas meeting that will more than likely get shot down or removed for being far too retarded to implement (not because it pisses off the consumers).
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by endlesszeal View Post
    im betting on "not playing used games" is more along the lines of, "not full featured." similar to what EA, or whatever company it was, having a passcode that is good for one console and allows access to content not available to a used copy. however, if it is truly, "no used games" period, i will never buy or support a system like that and im sure millions of consumers will feel the same.
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wait...

Bwahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

i had heard that MS bought alot of HDDVD stamping hardware and was going to stick with that for games.

on the no used games, this is the same thing that went with the ps3, i dont see it happening. the online pass and dlc markets make alot more money than the lost revenue from used sales for the console maker. then since MS and sony started having rental disks for redbox and gamefly that have sales sharing i dont see this going down.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    If MS does that and Sony doesn't the Xbox 720 is DOA.

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip_J_Fry View Post
    foiled by used-game owners who would keep their system offline.
    I'll bet a glass of LN2 that next gen consoles will all require constant internet conection.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    digital distribution could change the cost structure reducing the initial release price from 60 back down to 50
    hohoho good joke... if anything you might see an increase... you know inflation and such...

Xtreme Member
    So if this next XBox will have the ability to play Blu-Rays, why not just make all the games Blu-Rays? Instead of purchasing more HD DVD "stampers"?
    Home PC: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz l Asus Maximus VI Hero l Corsair Dominator Plantinum 2400mhz (4x4GB) l Asus GTX 690 l Samsung 840 Pro 256gb l 2 x WD Black 1T storage drive l WD MyBook 500gb External l Samsung SH-S203N DVD l Creative X-Fi Titanium HD l Corsair AX1200 PSU l Planar SA2311W23 3D LCD Monitor l Corsair 800D Case l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l Sennheiser HD-590

Water Cooling Setup: Swiftech 320 Radiator (3 X Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm 3 x Gentle Typhoons 1850 rpm) l Swiftech Pump w/XSPC Res Top l Heatkiller 3.0 CPU Block l Heatkiller GPU-X GTX 690 "Hole Edition" Nickel l Heatkiller Geforce GTX 690 GPU Backplate l Koolance 140mm Radiator l Danger Den 1/2ID UV Green tubing l EK EKoolant UV Green Liquid

-Impossible is not a word

Xtreme Guru
    Don't see this being true, that means effectively your games have zero resale value. So unless if they are sold at $20 a pop (in which case I would actually support this move), as others mentioned many major companies like gamefly, gamestop and even marketplaces like amazon would boycott the console
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    rumors almost 2 years out are bullcrap. just saying

Xtreme Addict
    LMFAO.... anti used game system............ LMFAO

Does anybody actually believe that?
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    LMFAO.... anti used game system............ LMFAO

Does anybody actually believe that?
    You wouldn't be saying that if this was apple though. You never know these days
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Maybe not, but I can't see them doing that with console games. If they did, Gamefly would be a mess.....
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Maybe not, but I can't see them doing that with console games. If they did, Gamefly would be a mess.....
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So another FAIL PC gaming item comes and s up consoles, not being able to play used games. Lame as .
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mycoolcar View Post
    Bit similar to steam then, how you can't sell a game once you have played it. Sucks but its just the way it is now.
    Yeah its not like Steam is new. Would probably be pretty easy for MS to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    System against the use of used Games? if you play on the pc they pretty much throw you in one pot with the pirates if you let anyone play your games, give them away or try to resell them, so lets welcome the consoles in the current time.

Xtreme Addict
    no offense but you guys think so small

MS makes used games unplayable unless you pay a FEE.

They charge gamefly a $3 FEE to resell the product and charge a $6 fee off the MS website or your Xbox Live account for a one-time unlock FEEEEEEE.

Its greed and I don't doubt it will happen sooner or later
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Member
    Anyone following console vs PC development knows this is coming.... why? Because reselling games and renting games costs the industry 1000x more loss than pirating does. They are losing so much $$$.

Soon there will be no arguments... not a single one that can prove console costs are lower than PC... b/c right now the only that makes console less expensive is buying old games cheap on systems that purchases years after release.

However the industry is gonna be quite about this, because they like using PC as a scapegoat (piracy) as a way to say why they should support console... we all know that its because of $$$ due to the mass market capability of console... aka its the new big thing... or a fad...

Thus they pull this and do it nice and quiet like... while the whole time trying to get sympathy because they can't make $$ b/c of all the piracy on PC.
    i5 4690k @ stock on Apogee GTX
    MB ????
    RAM ???
    HD6970 on mcw60
    PA120.3
    Custom Built Case

My Blog:
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Locke

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iboomalot View Post
    no offense but you guys think so small

MS makes used games unplayable unless you pay a FEE.

They charge gamefly a $3 FEE to resell the product and charge a $6 fee off the MS website or your Xbox Live account for a one-time unlock FEEEEEEE.

Its greed and I don't doubt it will happen sooner or later
    thats what online pass does. iirc uncharted 3 has it, and BF3 for consoles has it. where if u buy the game used. u need to pay another $10 to unlock the MP features ... its not quite like the article suggest where u "CAN NOT" play used games, but the industry is moving this way.

publishers always whine about how much money they lost due to used game sales. i was actually thinking something along the lines of DRM for consoles. online activation that is tie to either ur account or ur consoles. more reason to play PC games if this is the case.
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iboomalot View Post
    Or the more extreme version, only sell the cd key, then the game is downloaded to the consoles harddisk and bang, no more second hand sales.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not being able to play used games? i hope people wake up and stop being robots that will do and buy anything these big companies feed them. Till the day people stand up and make their voices heard, nothing will ever be done. If this is true, i hope everyone boycotts xbox 720 or whatever its going to be called.
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz| Corsair H100i | MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Edition | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2.4GHZ | eVGA GTX 780 | Creative Sound Blaster ZxR | Samsung 500GB SSD/4TB Storage | LG 14X BLu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX1050 | Corsair Air 540 | Asus VG248QE 144HZ Monitor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast