Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

Xtreme Member

Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.

The site's founder and others have been charged with violating piracy laws.

Federal prosecutors have accused it of costing copyright holders more than $500m (£320m) in lost revenue. The firm says it was diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

Investigators denied a link to recent protests against proposed piracy laws, according to the Wall Street Journal.

On Wednesday, thousands of websites took part in a "blackout" to protest against the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA).
    Source

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wt
    WOOOOOF

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Whoa...
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    Whoa...
    dubiously..
    asus p5q pro p45
    e8400 @ 3.6
    g.skill 4 x 2 gb ddr2 1066
    gigabtye 4850

PI in the face
    swizz beatz gonna get swizz broke
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

and this is why we cannot have cloud computing
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    and this is why we cannot have cloud computing
    So true. I've been using MU for almost two years store my blog's G13 profiles. Now I can't get into the file manager, which means I might have lost all the profiles.
    I do have a copy of them but I don't really feel like spending time uploading them again.

Xtreme Addict
    lol wtf i just bought a premium membership! and all my files noooooo.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

I am Xtreme
    its amazing they can call money from subscriptions and advertisements as illegal

and if im reading this right, its a major artist who runs the site that hurts producers? kinda like being bit by your own dog, id like to see what happens next.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think its about time for the internet community to start creating "IP" that the MPAA/RIAA and whateverother megamedia conglomerate uses and then shut them down.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Addict
    Megaupload only allows uploading of files, but does nothing to distribute them (they are not searchable, they don't release links to files, they don't mention the files have been uploaded), only the uploader gets that info and so only the person uploading it can actually distribute files through megaupload, so how can they blame megaupload if megaupload did nothing to distribute the files but the people uploading them did?

And probably a bit far fetched, but:
    What if someone who used megaupload for something legitimate would sue for damage suffered from his legit files not being available anymore?

Xtreme Member
    Anonymous takes down DoJ, UMG websites—attack on Whitehouse.gov underway
    "We are going to starve the beast." In response to the arrest of Megauploads.com's founders, he said, "This is the governments way of saying: 'How nice of you protest SOPA/PIPA. But we still are in control.' this."

Xtreme 3D Team
    Proud of anonymous for once, taking a stand for the people instead of attacking the consumer...though their motives could be anything really.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    2012 cyber world chaos ...it beggining
    Last edited by hersounds; 01-19-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    Megaupload only allows uploading of files, but does nothing to distribute them (they are not searchable, they don't release links to files, they don't mention the files have been uploaded), only the uploader gets that info and so only the person uploading it can actually distribute files through megaupload, so how can they blame megaupload if megaupload did nothing to distribute the files but the people uploading them did?

And probably a bit far fetched, but:
    What if someone who used megaupload for something legitimate would sue for damage suffered from his legit files not being available anymore?

This is simply the online world reality coming into line with rules of the physical world.

You can't rent out space and claim ignorance to what goes on with that rented space. The owner has conditions of using that space. Therefore the owner is required to have checks and enforcement measures.
    You can't just rent a space and look the other way with impunity.

I am not at all suprised that this day has arrived (that is non-specific to MU)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyMF View Post
    This is simply the online world reality coming into line with rules of the physical world.

You can't rent out space and claim ignorance to what goes on with that rented space. The owner has conditions of using that space. Therefore the owner is required to have checks and enforcement measures.

You can't break into your tenant's flat in real life to checkk what are they up to. Would you like Google to read and store your personal mail? What about MU inspecting your uploads?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Total BS, as a football manager series fan this is a major blow since a vast majority of user created content for FM is hosted on megaupload.

in other news.
    uploaders are switching to the 1000s of other filehosts.

Xtreme Member
    its only a matter of time before there will be internet cops. Able to trace your every step and convict people over internet searches and such. oh you called "jhonny j" a douche bag on facebook, here is a ticket for disorderly conduct in your email. Why not give people a social security email account at birth that all government mail, taxes, dmv has access to. The in government should have no jurisdiction over the internet since its global. No one country owns it. Internet started as basic connected computers, now its more or less a "service".
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea

Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Xtreme Guru
    justice.gov / universalmusic.com / mpaa.org / riaa.org / riaa.com / copyright.gov / hadopi.fr / bmi.com / doj.gov / bgi.com / wmg.com (so far)

sites, brought down by Anonymous as a result for FBI bringing down Megaupload

EDIT: Some article https://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-do...rsal-sopa-235/

Seems like they are even working on bringing the FBI site down lol.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 01-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict

the problem is that with that logic absolutely every service on the web that allows any sort of user content would have to be shut down.
    Last edited by naokaji; 01-19-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    This is just sad. Sad-sad-sad.

So, I want to take down [insert competitors name]? Easy, upload a file to [competitors] cloud - share a link to it from some messageboard. Inform the "authoritaz" - profit = [competitor] down?
    Member of XS WCG since 2006-11-25

mega upload was fully complaint with the DMCA and they were just applauded for having a fast turn around time by the riaa like 2 months ago (right before the mega video), so they did remove things that were infringing.

how would you go and preremove content, u cannot scan it as u dont upload non compressed files to a locker (legit or not) and many files are broken into multi rar and or with password so they cannot even extract the files.

and since u want to look at the real world about it, the owner of a building is never responsible to police it themselves and if u have something like train lockers there is nothing from keeping people to put whatever they want in it and any1 who has the key from retrieving it. all that this dose is set a legal precedence so if this fails (as it should since DMCA should beat all anti-mob laws) it shows that no website (and no downloading user most likely) is responsible for content posted/viewed or they just forced though sopa/pipa in the courts if it wins and the internet changes to no US content anymore and websites using IP addresses and non standard ports.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
    Who's next? Microsoft which not only it's providing an online platform but also the "piracy tools"? §You know by this logic, all big player in hardware fab is a threat and should't be allowed reach it's costumers. Oh right, this is it, ban the PC :meh:
    Know Your Enemy

Working on:
    FOXCONN Quantum Force Blood Rage Rev.1.1 Bios P11

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast