Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2431323334

Thread: Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

I have the EK Supreme HF bitspower compression fittings...recently changed my loop,
    as doing a new build with the rampage black edition, too many parts to list..
    I have been running distilled water with silver coil and Nuke- PHN biocide...
    it looked to me over time, water passing through loop the nickel flaked off and then it
    sort of created a reaction?? anyhow moved to xspc..

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Even if silver is not to blame, consumers think it is. Unless someone can give hard facts that silver fittings will work long term without ill affect to their blocks people will avoid them.
    I'm not sure hard facts about long term use are feasible, since these barbs are relatively new. I'm not sure what percentage of Monsoon's customers read OCN regularly, but recently the standard response there to questions about Monsoon fittings is some negativity about the silver. Needs someone like Martin to come in and say it's fine, and convince the EK rep there (derickwm) to stop saying he doesn't recommend silver.

Xtreme Addict
    X amount of people will always worry about it needlessly anyway. Not much I can do about it...If your really worried get a roll of Teflon Plumbers tape from any hardware store on the planet and put a few layers on the threads. Its about $2 and is dirt simple to use. It is also non conductive...

Xtreme Mentor
    I have been running one of the monsoon silver plugs in a loop for about six months with a BP Deluxe nickel block and EK GTX670 nickel block, both with acrylic tops so I can see inside and I have not had any issues. Prior to that I had a silver coil. I use to just use anti-algae drops from the pet store, but this was just easier than remembering to put the drops in. Personally I think there is a lot of misinformation passed along by the manufactures to further their goals/needs, so I always take them with a grain of salt. what I find best is trial and error in my own gear and if something corrodes I don't use that combo again. We use to have a lot of talk about corrosion, but really I don't think it is as big of a deal as it use to be.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    I stopped using the "high performance" fluids myself at least 10 years ago in favor of pure deionized or distilled. No crud in the loop and maximum cooling efficiency. Most people seem to eventually make the switch to DI sooner or later and those users are the target market for our fittings.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'm personally not a fan of nickel period and also a distilled user, but I do generally recommend a corrosion blocker for those that insist on nickel bling. Probably too thin a plating and poor surface prep that causes a majority of the issues, but realistically that's what we get for the price point folks are willing to dish out. A little corrosion blocker can't hurt. Ultimately is the user who is responsible to choose plating vs no plating, silver vs biocided, and corrosion blocker vs nothing.

If you want to walk nekid in 20 below, don't blame the weather...just look in the mirror..

Xtreme Addict
    Talk about "shrinkage"....ouch

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I'm personally not a fan of nickel period and also a distilled user, but I do generally recommend a corrosion blocker for those that insist on nickel bling. Probably too thin a plating and poor surface prep that causes a majority of the issues, but realistically that's what we get for the price point folks are willing to dish out. A little corrosion blocker can't hurt. Ultimately is the user who is responsible to choose plating vs no plating, silver vs biocided, and corrosion blocker vs nothing.

If you want to walk nekid in 20 below, don't blame the weather...just look in the mirror..
    Can you recommend a good corrosion blocker we can add to DI verses a pre-mixed solution? Do you think corrosion blockers are likely to interact with dyes? For my projects, this is not relevant as I fill and flush normally after each show but I do need good info to present to Joe SiXPack as I talk to a ton of people at events about water-cooling. I miss the days of having your tests as a resource.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Addict
    I just ordered a set of the free center compression fittings and i had ordered them previously but the new set the barbs are all silver (i ordered black matte) but the housing part is correct black matte, is this how they are supposed to be now?
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
    I just ordered a set of the free center compression fittings and i had ordered them previously but the new set the barbs are all silver (i ordered black matte) but the housing part is correct black matte, is this how they are supposed to be now?
    That is how mine were. I ordered two boxes of them about 4 months ago. I think there supposed to be like that.

I can say this, I drained my loop yesterday, changed tubing, blocks etc. These Monsoon fittings looked pristine. Exactly how they went in is how they looked coming out. My EK black fittings however were corroded where the water touched the barbs. So in my opinion keeping the centre silver / not plated or painted or whatever is probably best for longevity.

Xtreme Member
    Circaflex,
    post #811(just one page back) all the way until your post is about that very topic.
    ASRock Z77 Extream6
    Intel i7 3770K
    G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III
    Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
    CORSAIR HX1050
    GIGABYTE GTX 770 4GB

Xtreme Member
    I had no idea they were actual anti-microbial silver. That's awesome.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks guys, what a newb that circaflex guy is....

On a side note, boxgods you might want to send new materials to the retailers, ie photos and descriptions. When i ordered from PPCs two weeks ago the images still showed colored barbs and no mention of silver plated barbs or the benefits. New photos though would be the most needed piece I think, I am fine with the switch as the barb is covered anyways by tubing so I cant see it, especially with colored fluid, but I could see someone being upset thinking they would get one item based on pictures and descriptions only to receive something else.
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Xtreme Member
    Yeah scan.co.uk is still showing the all coloured barbs and not the silver even as of today and they are a huge computer retailer in the UK. I bought mine there.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicey View Post
    Yeah scan.co.uk is still showing the all coloured barbs and not the silver even as of today and they are a huge computer retailer in the UK. I bought mine there.
    Yup, that is what I mean. I am not upset, but I was originally because I did not have the information, luckily I was able to retrieve it here, unlike many normal customers they dont know of forums/use them. I even stopped by my local microcenter to see if the silver was normal and the only reason I posted here asking was all of there stock had colored barbs, none were silver and they had probably 20+ boxes of the 6 packs. Again I am not upset just giving some criticism.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the kind words guys =)

I actually sent out all new pictures and written description prior to shipping out the new parts...not much more I can do then that as far as when the resellers change them over. Considering I still haven't found the time to update our own website I don't really have a lot of room to talk on that score.

As for the antimicrobial silver plating--the reason the silver on the outside of the barbs (non water passage surfaces) stay bright for so long is that there is actually a third finish that goes on over the silver--a marine grade clear UV cured epoxy that decouples the silver electrically and chemically. You will still see the silver turn a darker gray--tarnish--over time if you hold the fitting so you can look down inside the water passage. This has no effect on the silvers antimicrobial properties.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    As for the antimicrobial silver plating--the reason the silver on the outside of the barbs (non water passage surfaces) stay bright for so long is that there is actually a third finish that goes on over the silver--a marine grade clear UV cured epoxy that decouples the silver electrically and chemically. You will still see the silver turn a darker gray--tarnish--over time if you hold the fitting so you can look down inside the water passage. This has no effect on the silvers antimicrobial properties.
    I noticed this. I took them out of my system over the weekend, they had been in there since March. The inside just looked a little dull but still great and I saw nothing worrying, I stuck them back in after I was done changing things.

Honestly I love these Monsoon fittings and I will likely buy more in different colours.

Xtreme Addict
    Have to agree with you Vicey, i dont have much experience in barbs but I used to stick with the fat bodys, then I was tempted into smaller barbs, i finally bit the bullet and went with some swiftech lokseals for my first compression and they really changed my views on compression fittings. I hated trying to use a wrench with tape or a towel in order to keep scuffs to a minimum. Redid that loop and the monsoons had just come out and i was really interested, the idea of the wrench to tighten the barb similar to a coin wow'd me at first because i knew you couldnt mess up the paint. Then the icing on the cake was the fact the wrench then allowed you to tighten to housing, my knuckles and fingers greatly appreciated that design.

I have to say, again I am no expert on barbs and have only used a few, but i really love these and their design. Thanks boxgods and those involved in crafting these pieces of beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    Thanks for the kind words guys =)

I actually sent out all new pictures and written description prior to shipping out the new parts...not much more I can do then that as far as when the resellers change them over. Considering I still haven't found the time to update our own website I don't really have a lot of room to talk on that score.

ill have to yell at PPCs then and get them on it! thanks for everything you and your company do

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2431323334