Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel offers CPU insurance for overclockers

Champion

Intel offers CPU insurance for overclockers

Under the name "Performance Tuning Protection Plan", Intel is offering overclockers the chance to buy an insurance for their CPU's, that will guarantee replacement even if the CPU is damaged during overclocking. The amount you have to pay is 20 to 35 USD, but if you already have the CPU it will take 30 days to be activated. Prices:

Intel Core i5-2500K – $20.00
    Intel Core i7-2600K – $25.00
    Intel Core i7-2700K – $25.00
    Intel Core i7-3930K – $35.00
    Intel Core i7-3960X – $35.00

The program in for now in a 6 month trial phase.

Source: lab501.ro

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That way they get paid to replace CPUs they would be forced to replace anyway due to burden of proof and warranty. Win-Win.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't see what this covers that the normal warranty doesn't?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nullface View Post
    I don't see what this covers that the normal warranty doesn't?
    Leaves you with a good conscience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

This would have made sense during the Gulftown era, not so much now with SB and SB-E since the clock brick walls are present.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

xtreme energy
    Normal warranty does not cover putting 2V through your cpu

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Normal warranty does not cover putting 2V through your cpu
    Correct, but I think the point is how would they know? If the chip is completely fried, it could have been just a manufacturing problem as far as they can tell. It's not like there's some special time-traveling multimeter. I think the main advantage this actually brings is peace of mind. That way you're guaranteed they'll swap out your chip no questions asked instead of potentially having to do a bit of smooth talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    The problem is: How would Intel find out that somebody was overclocking, overclocking heavily or not overclocking at all?

CPU can die in either situation and they have to replace it anyway, because there's no way they can prove that CPU was used like it wasn't designed to. Damaged CPU is damaged CPU, no big deal - you just RMA it and get new one - AND DONT NEED TO PAY ADDITIONAL 35$

I am Xtreme
    Intel can easily put or they already have nonvolatile registers for tracking dead cpus that were over-volted

Visitor
    Sounds good to me...no BS or hassle for a small fee. The Plan is also transferable, which makes reselling much better.

...edit forget about the Q. Was already answered.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    RMA always delivery the worst batches at least for me!
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

I am Xtreme
    this thing doesn't help us, as we know how to OC, but Intel thinks that it will get people to buy the 2600K and try OC, as the main reason people don't even try overclocking is because they are scared of killing the CPU. i think with this plan we will see more users going crazy with their CPUs, but yea a service you basically already have. I told intel they are charging for what people already have, but i thought it was good they are supporting the OC community. now we just gotta get board makers to endorse it lol.

Xtreme Addict
    Here's a novel thought, instead of gouging yet again for another $20 for the unlockable 2500K/2600K why not include this "insurance" into the price of the processor since the price difference for adding said insurance is identical to the price difference between the "K" and non "K" processors
    NZXT Tempest | Corsair 1000W
    Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Intel i7 2500K Corsair H100
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (700 / 1400 / 1731 / 950mv)
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    Kingston HyperX PC3-10700 (4x4096MB)(9-9-9-28 @ 1600mhz @ 1.5v)

Heatware: 13-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by c22 View Post
    The problem is: How would Intel find out that somebody was overclocking, overclocking heavily or not overclocking at all?

CPU can die in either situation and they have to replace it anyway, because there's no way they can prove that CPU was used like it wasn't designed to. Damaged CPU is damaged CPU, no big deal - you just RMA it and get new one - AND DONT NEED TO PAY ADDITIONAL 35$
    They might not know, but if you RMA a CPU when you know that it isn't covered with the intent of tricking Intel into giving you a new one then fraud has been committed. Question: Who here is in support of fraud? Answer: Anyone advocating RMAing a CPU that they know for sure isn't covered by warranty just because you can get away with it.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    because is a beta service right now maybe in near future come with insurance into the price.
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentential View Post
    Here's a novel thought, instead of gouging yet again for another $20 for the unlockable 2500K/2600K why not include this "insurance" into the price of the processor since the price difference for adding said insurance is identical to the price difference between the "K" and non "K" processors
    you don't run a business, do you?

Xtreme Member
    Why not...some people pay $1000 for a chip, a no hassle RMA for a mere $35 on top of that sounds good to me. This basically allows you to do suicide runs for fun without any ramifications.
    [3960X 4.8GHz 1.35v] [32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133] [EVGA GTX 680 SLI] [ASUS RIVE] [Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB R0]
    [EK Supreme HF] [EK RIVE Full Board Kit] [Coolgate 120.3 + 120.1] [4 x Scythe GT D1225C12B5AP-15] [BitsPower Compression] [MCP655]
    [3 x Acer S231HL LED 5760 x 1080 2d Surround]

on intels side, why is this not priced into the x or k editions as u cannot oc anything that is not a k or x, its not like it will hurt sales and there is no reason to buy the k or x unless u are ocing.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

PI in the face
    how about a service to buy their "garbage" good overclocking chips that dont make standard spec
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMagoo View Post
    Why not...some people pay $1000 for a chip, a no hassle RMA for a mere $35 on top of that sounds good to me. This basically allows you to do suicide runs for fun without any ramifications.
    Actually...lol. Fine print is a biotch. You can only use this one time, and chips you receive from this plan are not eligible for replacement. After the plan is terminated you have no more lives. But still a decent piece of mind for running over intel spec vcore for 3 years.
    [3960X 4.8GHz 1.35v] [32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133] [EVGA GTX 680 SLI] [ASUS RIVE] [Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB R0]
    [EK Supreme HF] [EK RIVE Full Board Kit] [Coolgate 120.3 + 120.1] [4 x Scythe GT D1225C12B5AP-15] [BitsPower Compression] [MCP655]

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I'm all for this and I hope it becomes a service available for more than just a bit of publicity. This would have made 980x/990x much more bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    how about a service to buy their "garbage" good overclocking chips that dont make standard spec
    Hear hear!

I'm thinking I should be putting several people in this thread on my "do not trade" list as they obviously aren't honest folk
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    This will completely change my perspective on buying an EE chip. I have always stayed away from them, because I didn't want to trash a $1K chip and be out of another $1K to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMagoo View Post
    Actually...lol. Fine print is a biotch. You can only use this one time, and chips you receive from this plan are not eligible for replacement. After the plan is terminated you have no more lives. But still a decent piece of mind for running over intel spec vcore for 3 years.
    Im wondering if you could pay another $35 and start again tho?

It would be just like paying $35 for a no questions asked RMA every time

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Im wondering if you could pay another $35 and start again tho?

It would be just like paying $35 for a no questions asked RMA every time
    It says the replacement chip is not eligible for the protection plan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast