Thread: The Future of WC, Waterproof Components

Xtreme Enthusiast

The Future of WC, Waterproof Components

I ran across some tech that is out now to waterproof cellphones: http://www.liquipel.com/

I question if this can be used to do the same thing for any computer and thus remove the risk associated with wc.

Here is the original news article I saw: http://phandroid.com/2012/01/17/wate...ice-right-now/

If it could work for normal computer parts I think this could be a major breakthrough for water cooling especially at the general consumer level. Even outside of WC who would not want a WC laptop for those rainy days!

Xtreme Addict
    Well, when you think about it leaks are really rare. Imo, rare enough to make waterproof components not worth it.
    You can coat everything if you want it leak proof, but for many its just not worth the hassle
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    coming from someone who fried a 980x chip and a rampage II gene board beacuase of a water leak, i'll have to agree with wez. i've been watercooling for about 8 years now and i've never had any problems with leaks. that is until the first leak i ever had fried my 980x and my micro board. i was able to get the cpu replaced but not the board, but it was my fault . that being said, the added cost of the waterproof coating will push people to complain and buy other components in my eye. sure they'll sell some, but the returns are diminishing if you ask me.

I am Xtreme
    this is great for cellphones/laptops more than desktops and water cooling.
    pay 10-20$ more for a phone that comes with a free warranty to replace your phone if damaged by water sounds like a good deal to me.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

NooB MOD
    Take the Rampage Extreme, lose the onboard sound and give it an extreme cooling-proof coating.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Cruncher

Cool

I wonder if this would work for sub-ambient?

Xtreme Member
    could be, until you burn the board up and try to rma it, because yes, someone will try to do that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Also just though what this would mean for LN cooling. Finally a way to not need to worry about dam condensation!

Xtreme Addict
    NeverWet appears to be superior to me. LuiqiPel is only claiming to be hydrophic, where NeverWet claims to be super hydrophobic, and is expected to be marketed in a spray. Compare the videos, NeverWet definitely appears the repel liquid much better.

Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    man, this is gonna be so awesome for when my chocolate syrup springs a leak all over my motherboard
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

LuckyDuck69
    Its a gimmick. Go buy yourself a can of konform and spray under a ventilation return duct.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Xtreme Addict
    Not even close to a gimmick man. Nanotechnology is going to bring some amazing things now that commercial applications are being found.

Similar stuff is used on Nikon immersion machines to make processors, ram, flash...
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The real thing though is while a spray would be nice how long does it last. The thing currently sold bonds permanently...

Xtreme Addict
    Both products look very interesting. That Neverwet looks incredible.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For some reason this seems like a product my vehicle needs coated in. Interior more than exterior.

What can I say, I have my clumsy moments.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Member
    This seems just like conformal coating if not just that. Not sure if it is just a more consumer friendly spin (marketing) or an actual new recipe. We do a lot of this at my work for electronics and such that will be around high humidity levels or in direct contact with liquids. I would like to see how pliable this stuff is for the fabrics. IE, does it make the material stiff or does it stay pliable and loose as it were before being treated.

I conformal coated a motherboard of mine once, although I never had a leak to test it. Quite a pain to have to cover all your PCI slots, CPU socket, and anything else you want to stay electrically conductive. If it weren't for that I would do it to every motherboard just in case because otherwise, it doesn't take that long to do.

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    I don't need no stinking waterproofing for my water cooled PC components.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Feizy View Post
    This seems just like conformal coating if not just that. Not sure if it is just a more consumer friendly spin (marketing) or an actual new recipe. We do a lot of this at my work for electronics and such that will be around high humidity levels or in direct contact with liquids. I would like to see how pliable this stuff is for the fabrics. IE, does it make the material stiff or does it stay pliable and loose as it were before being treated.

I conformal coated a motherboard of mine once, although I never had a leak to test it. Quite a pain to have to cover all your PCI slots, CPU socket, and anything else you want to stay electrically conductive. If it weren't for that I would do it to every motherboard just in case because otherwise, it doesn't take that long to do.
    Interesting though b/c the first product I linked does not appear to effect conductivity for example all your ports and slots ect on your phone still work. If it somehow prevented the conduction then a sd card headphones charger and other things like the sim card that were not inserted at the time of the spray would no longer function.

I'd be interested in this for sub-ambient cooling. A spray would be ideal, for getting into all the nooks and crannies on a motherboard. I wonder how long it lasts for?