Thread: Hmm.. has anyone ever rma'd anything with visible burn marks on them?

R.I.P computer

Hmm.. has anyone ever rma'd anything with visible burn marks on them?

Just curious

how did it go? was it accepted? and what what it? mobo? cpu? etc.

(was due to an accident which wasn't my fault )

I technically wasn't overclocking since i had settings at stock... mobo turned on by itself after i turned it off and was in another room prepping a pot. 20 min later.. burned cpu and mobo socket.

Dave's Mentor!
    pwms i wouldnt be concerned
    cpu socket is another story
    worth a try

maximus IV extreme gtx580
    gigabut p67-ud7
    p67 sabertooth
    2500k+2600k
    antec 1200watt
    EVGA classified 760
    920 Batch# 3849B018 4.985ghz@1.52v gtx285 ftw sli
    OCZ3RPR1866LV6GK hypers
    dfi ut p35 rampage extreme
    gigabut p35c-ds3r bios suks
    gigabut x38-d6q dead thank god
    ballistix 8500 1240mhz@2.02v

s4pphire
    There's probably a good chance it won't get accepted, but with a solid argument there might be hope. My guess would be that an rma for the motherboard is likely but Intel/AMD will blame incorrect installation or voltage settings, and if you described what happened, they'd simply shift the blame to your motherboard brand.

Xtreme Member
    I believe they will pop some BS about why you didn't have a cooling device installed on your CPU; even though the obvious reason was that it was turned off and you were prep'ing your LN2 pot for use.

Ol' Faithful - Retired...

- Foxconn BlackOps - E8600 @ 4.5GHz, 1.32v - 8GB Patriot Division2 @ 1600 8-8-8-20 - OCZ Apex 120GB SSD - XFX HD6870 1GB Black Edition - BFG Ageia Physx - ULTRA X3 ULT40064 1000w - Cosmos RC-1000 - Gateway XHD3000 30"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOP SECRET:

- EVGA Classified3 - i7 950 @ 4.25Ghz on 1.30v - 24GB Kingston HyperX @ 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz - XFX HD6970 v1.0 2GB @ 950/1450 - Diamond HD6970 v1.0 2GB @ 950/1450 - XFX 9800GT - SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium Champion
    - 510 120GB SSD - CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000w - Stacker 830 [Custom painted in Classified theme] - 3x 23" LG E2381VR SuperLED @ 5760x1080 - Yamaha RX-V371 Receiver - Martin Logan MTL-1 5.1ch Surround Speakers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silver Bullet

- ASUS M4E-Z - i7 3770k @ 5Ghz - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite - HD 7970 3GB - 2x Corsair Force3 120GB SSD [RAID0] - ULTRA X4 1000w PSU

Administrator
    In some cases they might charge you for a new socket. I know EVGA did for me one time, it wasn't burned but had some bent pins.
    I do not see why they wouldn't tho with all the problems before with burnt sockets, again they might charge you for a new socket.

EVGA is/was pretty good about all this, but others might be more hard to get it through.

Intel is another whole different story.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by badatgames18 View Post
    Just curious

how did it go? was it accepted? and what what it? mobo? cpu? etc.

(was due to an accident which wasn't my fault )

I technically wasn't overclocking since i had settings at stock... mobo turned on by itself after i turned it off and was in another room prepping a pot. 20 min later.. burned cpu and mobo socket.
    tell me the good chip wasn't in there
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by badatgames18 View Post
    mobo turned on by itself after i turned it off
    Two of my last four computers did the same thing.
    -DFI Lan Party RD600 ICFX3200 tr2/g
    -Asus x48 Rampage Formula

I was never able to determine why and it was always at random. Luckily all the hardware was under a HSF, I just wish I knew what caused it.

Sorry to hear about the loss, like l0ud_sil3nc3 said, I hope it wasn't a good chip.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

I am Xtreme
    its not good at all.. it was RARE lol

Xtreme Member
    i have an asus rampage II gene board with a burnt socket. wonder if asus will do anything for me about it?

If you were running at stock and the motherboard PWM section blew, you've got good standing to return the motherboard via RMA since it was clearly defective. I don't think you really have a claim on the CPU, however. It sucks, but the motherboard destroying the CPU isn't a CPU defect. That's all that I believe is covered by your warranty.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.