Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i need help deciding on a Graphics Card!

Xtreme Member
    Asus A8N-E, x2 3800+ 2.7Ghz@1.488v RmClk, TT Big Typhoon lapped, Zalman NB-47J, XFX 9500gt, Corsair 2Gb, Sony DVD, Samsung 1TB, Coolermaster Cavalier, Enermax 620w, Benq G2400WD, Logitech X-230, WIN7 64.

There is a cure.... it's called Prevention. .. And remember - the story being told is not always the one that best reflects reality….

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not for his budget and desire.

Xtreme Member
    Hot off the press, and this one's from here..
    Return-of-AMD-FX-My-OC-d-AMD-FX-8150-6990-review
    Asus A8N-E, x2 3800+ 2.7Ghz@1.488v RmClk, TT Big Typhoon lapped, Zalman NB-47J, XFX 9500gt, Corsair 2Gb, Sony DVD, Samsung 1TB, Coolermaster Cavalier, Enermax 620w, Benq G2400WD, Logitech X-230, WIN7 64.

There is a cure.... it's called Prevention. .. And remember - the story being told is not always the one that best reflects reality….

I am Xtreme
    For that price range i would recommend two 6850s or two gtx 460s. ^^ or if your looking for a single card solution i would get the 7950 when it comes out Jan 31st! ^^. Either way your getting roughly equivalent performance anyways. Both of these options outperform a single gtx 580.

Xtreme Addict
    i'd not do multi-gpu for a new purchase if there is a new single gpu card. remember the microstutter...
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Oese View Post
    i'd not do multi-gpu for a new purchase if there is a new single gpu card. remember the microstutter...
    To be honest microstutter isn't that bad.
    I can be, but with correctly functioning drivers and equally clocked cards I sure can't notice it unless I average under 70 FPS. I notice large differences between 60hz and 75hz LCD to CRT so, it seems the microstutter is an issue but not major.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Yea if you can hold a couple weeks, a 7950 would probably be your best choice
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    Yea if you can hold a couple weeks, a 7950 would probably be your best choice
    I second this and for processor I would not go for Bulldozer at all, it would either be a 1100T (great bang for buck) or 2500k (solid performer).
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

I don't think anyone can seriously call me an Intel fanboy, but I would agree that a Sandy Bridge CPU is a better overall choice for gaming. That said, yes, you're going to need something like a 7970 to do max settings in BF3 well. I can do it with two 6970s, but a single 6970 isn't really enough. As others have outlined here, a 570 isn't sufficient.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12