Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3 is forcing consumers to install Origin

Xtreme Member

Thumbs down Mass Effect 3 is forcing consumers to install Origin

Source 1: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/8498716/1
    Source 2: http://www.cnbeta.com/articles/169473.htm

If you wish to play Mass Effect 3 on your PC, then say goodbye to Steam. Bioware states:

a) The PC version would require installation of Origin, regardless of the media (digital version or physical discs).

b) You must connect to the internet to authenticate it once before you can play the single player part.

c) Mass Effect 3 will not be available on Steam.

d) Consumers can say "no thanks" to the collection of game data - but pay attention, it's just the "game data". If EA collects any other type of user data then you'd better pretend you don't care, otherwise you cannot install Origin and hence unable to play Mass Effect 3. You cannot install Origin unless you give up absolutely all the right to take it to legal ground. In a nutshell, be obedient, or beat it.

e) Someone is slandering that Origin is a spyware. You better not believe in that. For the sake of your favourite game, EA got to look around in your computer and patch things up. We are doing good for you!

f) You better not start any flaming on the EA forum, not even with VPN, otherwise we track your IP addresses and hardware information (well, we have Origin that can do anything for good), and ban ALL your accounts so that you cannot even play Battlefield 3 single player mode and any other games you paid that requires Origin.

Proof of how hard Origin is working to deliver the best service for everyone:

Last edited by minpayne; 01-15-2012 at 02:47 AM.
    This guy is xtremely lazy

Xtreme Member
    Well more money for other games. Won't install origin.

NooB MOD
    Scare mongering. I won't have anything I consider confidential on any PC connected to the internet anyway.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    No different to Battlefield 3?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Scare mongering. I won't have anything I consider confidential on any PC connected to the internet anyway.
    Not trying to start a flame here, but would you be happy to run a spyware written by me if you don't care about confidentiality?
    This guy is xtremely lazy

Xtremely Kool
    While you don't allot of people do, hence why spyware and phishing programs exist.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 01-15-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I bet the cracked version won't force any option like that... and once again - "paying costumers" have to put up with like that or resort to some crack .exe from a pirated version, as in - something to ease up with the ass pain... a lubricant (if you will...).

They're obviously aware that they can't stop piracy - so they're trying to use more hardcore solution vs crackers to show that they won't put up with piracy... yet - they tried that before - and doesn't seem to be much of a challenge for skilled crackers... on the on the hand they end-up being more hassle for their costumers... and less hassle for those using pirated versions. Good job BioWare...

On the other hand - they're also trying to promote Origin this way... same as Steam did with Half-life in the beginning.... and same as Blizzard and their battle-net.
    Last edited by XSAlliN; 01-15-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    EA made a gambit with BF3 and Origin and the moronic-retarded sector of the PC community proved them right.
    So say goodbye to whatever rights you think you have if you want to play EA games.

I find it stupid that if you post negative comments on EA's forums your account will get banned meaning no more EA games for you. off EA.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post

-PB
    +1, Why this is a surprise after BF3?
    Intel i7 2600k, Asus p8p67 EVO, Thermalright Archon, G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB, Asus EAH6970 DCII, Corsair AX850W, Asus xonar essence ST, Coolermaster HAF 932,
    Crucial C300 128GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB, Samsung F3 1TB.

The world needs your support.
    Join The XS WCG team and help cure Cancer, AIDS, and other diseases.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRock View Post
    Well I never bought BF3, and only got SWTOR after Origin was removed from the requirements.

If people make a big enough fuss they could remove the need for Origin as well.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRock View Post
    yeah, seriously. this will be the case with (almost?) every future (blockbuster?) ea game. what did you guys expect?!

furthermore, these screens look pretty old. origin does not scan these subfolders anymore. and it was only used to index non-origin ea games to show up in origin. after the complaints ea updated origin and they now use another way to do that (no idea how, though, and i don't really care as long origin stays inside its own folders etc, which it now does).
    i don't like origin that much (especially its eula), but that's no reason to spread fud.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Addict
    Once a cheater always a cheater they say.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Just going to pirate this one I guess. They aren't getting my money if I have to put up with like this. They are only hurting their legitimate users by doing this. Oh the irony. Do idiots run the digital media industry or what? Pffff

Xtreme Member
    no will not voluntarily install the spy ware Origin
    EA can keep it's games

Xtreme Addict
    There is always a way around it. For starters, you only have to authenticate it once.

Given the fact that most people have more than one PC these days, just do all of your internet dabbling on another computer and disconnect that PC from the net. No internet, no spying, no worries.

Then there is authenticating and disabling (which someone will surely figure out) the background programs that help it dabble around in your PC once you've authenticated.

So, I wouldn't worry. If there's no way around it (which I doubt, unless an internet connection is required to play at all times, which I also doubt), then ya don't have to buy it. Some folks just don't really care who looks into their computer...... That is their choice, so why make fun? Just make your own choice.

That said, why does it surprise you that people just ignore this stuff? Corporate America has spent soooo much money convincing people that Big Brother is watching, that they barely even realize who Big Brother really is..... How many of us have a Shoppers Card at the local supermarket. Ya dig? :p
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    EA made a gambit with BF3 and Origin and the moronic-retarded sector of the PC community proved them right.
    So say goodbye to whatever rights you think you have if you want to play EA games.
    What did you expect? EA was smart enough to use BF3 to boost Origin and of course it worked out. How many ended up choosing to not buy that game because it needed Origin installed? Those who cared about the whole scanning your PC thing simply used methods to prevent it (Sandboxy and the like).
    The requirement of a crappy piece of software wont make most people miss a game they have been anticipating for months/years.

Same thing would have happened with Activision and MW3 or Bethesda and Skyrim. That kind of games are the ones that are always used to force new stuff down people's throats since they will sell like hotcakes regardless of anything.
    Remember MW2 and the death of public dedicated servers? Yeah, the boicot worked so well back then...

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by minpayne View Post
    Not trying to start a flame here, but would you be happy to run a spyware written by me if you don't care about confidentiality?
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    While you don't allot of people do, hence why spyware and phishing programs exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post

-PB
    That's all I'm saying. This is scare mongering as it's not something that ME3 will bring, Origin already has it.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    There is always a way around it. For starters, you only have to authenticate it once.

Given the fact that most people have more than one PC these days, just do all of your internet dabbling on another computer and disconnect that PC from the net. No internet, no spying, no worries.

Then there is authenticating and disabling (which someone will surely figure out) the background programs that help it dabble around in your PC once you've authenticated.

So, I wouldn't worry. If there's no way around it (which I doubt, unless an internet connection is required to play at all times, which I also doubt), then ya don't have to buy it. Some folks just don't really care who looks into their computer...... That is their choice, so why make fun? Just make your own choice.

That said, why does it surprise you that people just ignore this stuff? Corporate America has spent soooo much money convincing people that Big Brother is watching, that they barely even realize who Big Brother really is..... How many of us have a Shoppers Card at the local supermarket. Ya dig? :p
    It's not about finding a way around the problem. I'm sure there must be a thousand ways to play the legit game without Origin.
    The problem is whether you hack Origin or just accept it, by buying the game you AGREE with EA on installing their spyware.
    THAT is the problem. I don't want to agree with them on this.
    I don't want to sign a contract that forces me to give up my privacy. It doesn't matter if I have something to hide or not, it's my computer and EA should never ask me to install spyware.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    Play by EA's rules or play by your own. I know this will be a difficult choice for some but one does have a choice and the choice is yours.

For those who do not advocate piracy and wish to support Bioware I suggest purchasing the came and downloading a crack, although this may limit your ability to play the multiplayer component. If you absolutely cannot do without the multiplayer part then go ahead and sell your soul to EA. Else wise do without the game, just let EA know why you are not purchasing it.

Only sheep get fleeced
    Last edited by s1nykuL; 01-15-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Member
    Cool would you like to send your email to send you a spyware written by me, i mean after all you don't have anything confidential to your PC.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    It's not about finding a way around the problem. I'm sure there must be a thousand ways to play the legit game without Origin.
    The problem is whether you hack Origin or just accept it, by buying the game you AGREE with EA on installing their spyware.
    THAT is the problem. I don't want to agree with them on this.
    I don't want to sign a contract that forces me to give up my privacy. It doesn't matter if I have something to hide or not, it's my computer and EA should never ask me to install spyware.
    Then don't buy the game. It is as simple as that. I understand the principle, but that does not change the necessary outcome.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    No ME3 for me :/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yet another game I absolutely refuse to purchase. If it is not on Steam, it does not go on my computer. Shame considering how much fun I had playing ME2.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

I am Xtreme
    For BF3 i have to log onto origin every-time i want to play it, you can't just log on once and not play it. The worst part is when i move it to another computer my saved game data is lost. i mean if you are going to make me log onto the f*cking internet to play a game, you better store my freaking game data on there as well. Stupid EA. i only use origin for reviews to play BF3 which I think sucks anyways, i only like its SP.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast