Thread: Cooling with a nearby freshwater stream?

Cooling with a nearby freshwater stream?

I have several existing watercooled PCs.

A nearby feature outdoors is a natural freshwater stream that is running year round. The water is at least a foot deep and 4 feet wide. The water temperature tends to be quite a bit below ambient air temperature, and is obviously always moving.

Has anybody here done watercooling using a stream/river? In theory, some hose could be run out to this, attached to a waterblock submerged in the stream -- this could be part of a larger cooling loop.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i'd suggest burying the tubes between the house and the stream. For obvious reasons, this has to be a separate loop from the main PC components. Therefore, you're going to need some kind of heat exchanger and some work to run the pipe through the floor/wall of your house. For the stream side, I'm guessing 10-20ft of copper tubing coiled and submerged should be plenty of capacity.

Xtreme Member
    You would have to get a series of filters and some serious pumps
    eXt 4
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5GHz | Asus Maximus GENE-Z | Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 | eVga GTX 580 SC 1000/2300 | SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 | Corsir Force GT 60GB/WD Green 1.5TB
    XSPC dual bay res w/ Laing D5/ XSPC Raystorm CPU Block / EK-FC580 GTX+ GPU block / XSPC RX240 / XSPC RX360 / All Yate D12Sm-12 Fans / NZXT case

St0rage
    AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.6GHz | Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H | Corsair XMS 8GB DDR2-1066 | 785G integrated | Corsiar TX 750 | WD Green 2.0TB
    Thermalright VenomousX, ALL Yate D12SL-12 FANS

Technician
    Just dump your rad in the stream. Job done.

but if heavy things come flying down the stream (if it floods) your rad would be f*****. so i would go for a separate loop with a hx

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Get one of those small sandwich-type water-water heat exchangers - pc-side is closed loop, then use a pump with filter to pump river-water through the other side. Nice and easy, and should be pretty solid wrt performance.

We use something similar to cool our $250k+ sensors in paper industry.
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Legend
    The plate heat exchanger ; http://www.dudadiesel.com/heat_exchangers.php then two circuits so 2 pumps. the one pumping stream water would have to be able to handle small solids. a coarse filter in this loop would save a bunch of trouble.

Dropping a copper coil (shape is not important) into the stream would allow you to use one pump and as has been said the coil just takes the place of your rad, is a sealed circuit so would be clean.

There would be a need to insulate or bury pipes leading to the stream to keep them from absorbing heat from sunlight. those pipes could be plastic water supply type if you wanted to save $$$

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Mentor
    You would also need to bury the pipes below the freeze line so that they don't freeze during the winter assuming it gets cold enough in your area. If you live in an area that has cold winters then you will have to worry about condensation in your main loop due to the water getting way below ambient. This could potentially be like a chilled water loop. Just depends on where you live and the temperature range you are dealing with year round.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    Get you a 5 gallon bucket fill it with cement. This will be your anchor. Use copper coil like OldChap said, and tether it to the cement bucket.

As for coolant you need use glycol. I would use the RV propylene glycol.

Oh yeah, your also gonna need a large res, and a big pump.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Legend
    I have a similar setup but use a LARGE rad as I have no stream. Below 10 deg ambient I run passive so as not to introduce condensation problems. I use a central heating circulator pump too which is adjustable for flow. the combination of flow and load can be managed to keep the chance of condensation away. I use regular vehicle antifreeze in a 20% mix (plenty for where I live) this also deals with the mixed metals of the pump.

This setup can run with water at 2-3 deg over ambient (outdoors) BEFORE running fan on full and that with 4 i7 rigs connected so it may be that for you there might be a need for some experimentation regarding the size of the immersed coil or by pump control which will maintain the incoming water at a given minimum

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme Addict
    Interested in seeing where this goes.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ TRICHEESE View Post
    but if heavy things come flying down the stream (if it floods) your rad would be f*****. so i would go for a separate loop with a hx
    It could easily be solved with a steel mesh on the exposed sides...unless you are talking a boulder coming down stream.

I wonder what a submerged rad's efficiency would be like compared to equal size HX.
    Smile

I reckon a rad would be more efficient but more susceptible to damage from sand, stones, branches or whatever but i think either with the correct filtering/protection system would perform similarly due to the large lengths of tubing needed

Xtreme Legend
    I would just use copper pipe laid lengthways in the stream.... minimal cross section to catch "things" flowing down stream. I would guess that the fins on a rad would be too close together to work well in water flow

You may need to ask for consent from your local Territorial Authority, otherwise this would be illegal in many parts of the world.

Damming, diverting and taking water can affect people's ability to use the water, as well as affecting stream plant and animal life. Water consents identify, control and minimise the impacts of an activity on people and the environment.

You may need a water consent if you want to:

-take or use water from a river, stream, dam, lake or spring
    -take or use water from an underground source (groundwater)
    -take or use geothermal water, heat or energy
    -construct or alter a dam or stopbank and impound water behind the structure
    -divert a watercourse.

Technician
    Rads work great in water . Used to dump my old heatercore in iced water for banzai thunderbird runs.

As mentioned just build a mesh cage round it. You'll have to look out for condensation as well bear in mind.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You could use a pump from a pool.... Though they run about 450$, but this will also provide a nice basket to keep particles and debris from entering said loop.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The plate heat exchanger ; http://www.dudadiesel.com/heat_exchangers.php then two circuits so 2 pumps.
    Thanx Oldchap, yes, they're the heat-exchangers we use in our QCS Paper-scanners. Works very, very well. Anyway, if I had access to a stream, I would certainly take this approach.

As some have mentioned, you can just coil some (I would use Stainless) tubing in the stream, secure it with an ancor, and have that close-loop back to the 'process-coolant' side of the heat-exchanger.

Easy, and would be very effective, with virtually unlimited capacity.

Enjoy!
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Cruncher
    You really don't need a mesh cage, just put a rad or coil in a metal box with an open top and bottom. This would be a serious sink. Then pipe it to the house, set up some sort of heat exchanger, e.g. commercial plate exchanger or just 2 coils (hot and cold) in a volume of fluid. like OldChap, I'd build or buy some sort of controller with a bypass in the cold loop to keep the hot loop above the dew point.
    upgrading...