Thread: Chilly1

Xtreme Member

Chilly1

Hate to stir up old , but I was just wondering if anyone had their situations resolved.

I lost interest in overclocking and stopped coming over for quite a few years and I never really kept up with it once I figured I was never going to see it resolved (for me)

I remember buying a single stage from in in 2005 or 2006, can't remember. The attachment to the CPU was insulated and I found out after the unit stopped working properly that it had a bad leak. Come to find out the hose wasn't even new and had a large hole that was plugged with a different type of metal.

Long story short I got screwed, but not nearly as bad as a lot of people.

Can't imagine thousands of dollars of people's money still out there.

Again, not trying to stir up anything or step on people's toes.

Xtreme Member
    Nobody received any money, so to conclude: everybody was screwed badly by Reggie.

Xtreme Member
    That's too bad, I know it affected a lot of people.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C3 View Post
    Nobody received any money, so to conclude: everybody was screwed badly by Reggie.
    Anybody know something about him? Never heard of him or my 1500$ again.

Xtreme Addict
    You probably can count on not hearing anything from him.

This is the problem with dealing with people over web forums.

Its dicey.

Neither person knows who they're really dealing with, and word of mouth is the only way to really figure out if someone is reliable or not. Many of these are not official businesses and have no listings to verify reliability. Many may be certified techs, but that doesn't mean you will find who they work for even if they employ themselves. So there is little with regards to a paper trail.

That alone should tell you something. You need to make sure that you have protection against fraud. That goes in the way of a written contract. Now, you don't have to have a lawyer draw up that contract. You need a written page depicting terms of an agreement and a signature stating that the person agrees to those terms. Builders should do the same thing. This is a cataloged agreement that both should retain copies of for records. That means there is legal liability attached.

I would personally never pay someone as an initiative to build something for me. I would pay them once the services are rendered. A builder should avoid selling equipment to persons under the legal contract age as it would be unenforceable. If they want such a thing that's just tough. 14 year olds shouldn't be ing around with refrigeration equipment. You know they will be.

In conclusion, you should ask yourself a question before handing over money.

Would I hand my neighbor money if he promised to build and install a custom built-in grill to my patio? Just if he promised?

No. Not ever. Not in a New York Minute! Not in an Eon. We would at least have to have a written agreement, and he would at least have to get started with it. Its one thing if its a major corporation with liability attached. Its another thing if its just Joe Schmoe who's doing the work for you.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    I know that sounds harsh, but I read all of these threads about people who paid a lot of money for something and never received it.

A written contract may not be easily chased down..... but its at least SOMETHING. You could have it notarized; I would.

Its just.... why do people hand over thousands of dollars to some guy on a web forum? I get that not everybody has the ability or time to build these things... But you gotta CYA somehow.... Just handing it over???
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    So what, blame the guys that got ripped off because they were naive?
    Overclocking, it's a lifestyle

Chilly1 was staff on XS, an Admin and saying he is a trusted member is an understatement. His wife left him and he flaked out on us all.

He is a very smart guy and to his credit he did pay a few people back but that is no excuse on how he ran the scam before he disappeared.

Over the past 11 years there has been many but none with the extent as Justin Davies most likely in the tens of thousands.

NJkid was an Admin and pulled several scams for thousands of dollars. "My house was robbed" he cried and people sent him new stuff was probably the cleanest scam.

I forget who faked their death and was later found alive on other forums.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Calathea View Post
    So what, blame the guys that got ripped off because they were naive?
    I don't know how old you are or what kind of world you live in, but protecting yourself against fraud is a part of life. Its reality.

If someone's handing over 2500 bucks, they better have some sort of assurance that they'll get what they pay for. A builder doesn't want to spend money on parts and then receive no payment either. So both should be willing to accommodate certain terms.

Forking over cash? While the shame is on the guy who takes the money and runs.... I shake my head when somebody hands over money with little or no protection. If that is difficult to acquire, I might think twice about handing over a ton of cash. IF you still want to go forward, then perhaps there are other options.

Ever hear of earnest money? Ever hear of COD????

C....O....D..... That assures that you get what you are paying for, and also assures the seller that he gets the money. No delivery is made unless the amount on the COD ticket is received. A combination of earnest money and COD might be a somewhat wise choice. That way, if you get scammed, at least it wasn't for the full ticket. Adding some sort of written agreement means you can try to recoup your money.

This is not rocket science. Its common sense and a little know how.

It doesn't mean I don't have any sympathy for the guy who got duped. I am merely advising that you gotta protect yourself somehow; builder and buyer alike.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Cruncher
    There used to be tons of builders in the phase forum, and many of them had built up a certain amount of trust with the community. To the point where it didn't seem like a big deal to hand over $1500 for a phase unit. Unfortunately, this same type of deal happened more than once with a few different phase builders. Pretty much killed off the phase community here on XS.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    I can understand a level of comfort... But if handing over $1500 to someone on a web forum didn't seem like a big deal then some should re-examine how they spend money.

I'm not at all trying to say that anyone is stupid. Sometimes we get caught off guard. The thing is, there has got to be a level where you say... "Am I sure that this is legit?"

Lots of people had decent experiences. Probably most. However, that does not mean you jump without a reserve chute. If that is hard to come by then I would think real hard about making the transaction. I guess I'm fortunate that I can do this stuff on my own. I suppose that not being able to do that puts someone in a rough spot if they want some custom equipment.

Still, you just gotta be careful. It really sucks to have to watch money blow away when you trusted the person that you handed it tol
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post

I forget who faked their death and was later found alive on other forums.
    looooool wtf!!
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

NooB MOD
    That's a fitting name
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    This just in, I'm actually dead, please send haswell CPUs and titans to my greaving family members, nothing would make them happier

Xtreme Addict
    As long as they live in Hell, they'll get them on time. hehe
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    That's a fitting name

thought the exact same.
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

-150c Club Member
    This just in, I'm actually dead, please send haswell CPUs and titans to my greaving family members, nothing would make them happier

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Too bad for those who trusted on people like that. I agree with Stewie.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah. Trust nobody.. oh wait...
    If you can't trust anybody, there would be no international trade.

Recently I trusted Piotres and he answered. Now Im having fun with my new suction line, gpu pot, high pressure manimeter and fach cpev