Thread: Huwawei E160, E176 USB 3G modems seem to dislike USB cables over 1.0m

Xtreme Member

Huwawei E160, E176 USB 3G modems seem to dislike USB cables over 1.0m

As per subject, has anyone else experienced this with these modems?
    Actually, my modems are models E160E (max 3.6Mbps) and E1762 (max 7.2Mbps), both aimed at the Australian Optus mobile network on GSM 900, GSM 1800, UMTS 900 (3G), and UMTS 2100 (3G).

According to Wikipedia, the standard for USB 2.0 allows cables to be up to 5m long, so maybe these devices don't comply.

My E160E is the second one I've had. The first one worked OK with a 0.8m cable for a while, then would work only intermittently and then only if plugged directly into the connector on my laptop or on the back of a desktop motherboard. I had it replaced under warranty, but the new one is not much better. The maximum USB cable length of the 2 modems is about the same.
    Some but not all 2.0m cables can also be used.
    When the cable is too long, the modem configuration utility displays "The device has been disconnected or is unavailable", and the network name disappears. The modem and network adapter entries in Windows Device Manager may also disappear. With a borderline cable, recognition of the device cycles on and off, and attempts to connect hang the utility program for long periods.

The problem could be a USB signals timing issue, or perhaps insufficient power coming from the computers' USB ports.
    The USB 2.0 Standard calls for 500mA, and Device Manager shows allocation to the modem is the full 500mA.
    To check out the power theory, I have ordered a USB Y-cable (2 USB type A male connectors - 1 signal+power, 1 power from 2nd USB port - to 1 USB type A female to receive the modem).

Any info would be helpful.
    Last edited by BlindFreddie; 01-12-2012 at 10:28 AM.

buy usb "active cable" repeater, dunno official term, something like http://www.skytech.lt/delock-cable-u...m-p-94220.html ,with similar 5 meter cable worked ok with E173