Thread: WCG - Planned Outage

Xtreme Cruncher

WCG - Planned Outage

There should be no need to bump cache size but I will be doing so anyway ... I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.or...e,yes#lastpost
    We are going to be upgrading our database for the BOINC systems from MySQL 5.0 to MySQL 5.5. There have been substantial improvements in the MySQL database performance between these releases, and as we continue to grow, we need this additional performance.

In order to accomplish this change, we will need to stop all access to the BOINC database during this change. This will allow us to take a clean backup of the database and then upgrade the system. Due to the size of the database, we expect it to take some time to do this upgrade and thus the length of the outage.

During the outage the website and forums will work (except for the result status page which queries the BOINC database). Additionally, clients will be able to update result files and download input files. However, clients will not be able to communicate with the server to report completed results nor obtain new work to process.

Additionally, this change window occurs during the end of day statistics process. We will defer the end of day statistics process until after the database upgrade is complete.

We apologize for the disruption, but it is necessary to support the continued growth in your contribution.

thanks.
    knreed [Jan 10, 2012 11:00:57 PM]

Fanboy of Good Products
    Thanks for the heads up. I gotta go get my wu cache bumped up.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Cruncher
    hmm now i know why i got 5 pages of work pending validation. ty wish i seen this sooner.