Thread: spinning problem in Battlefield 3

gschofield

spinning problem in Battlefield 3

Hi everyone. I am having a big problem with Battlefield 3 that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've had the game since the day it came out and this problem just started happening a couple of days ago. About 8 out of every 10 times I play the game, either right when the level first loads to the starting scene, or sometimes in mid game, my guy just starts to spin out of control. No mouse control works other than trigger. I can crouch and jump but I can't move forward or back or side to side with the keyboard. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this. Alt-tab, alt-enter, alt-everything. I've tried changing all the settings in game. I've tried four different mice. I've un-installed and done clean re-installs of several different nvidia drivers. I've re-installed the game and Origin. I was messing around in the NVidia control panel at one point but I have restored all settings to original when it was installed. I've tried different usb ports, both 3.0 and 2.0. I can't seem to get this problem fixed. It only happens in Battlefield 3, no other game. It happens in both single player and multiplayer, including co-op. Can anyone help me? I am really frustrated at this. I have tried emailing NVidia support but I haven't heard anything back. Below are my system specs:

i7-2600K
    2 X EVGA GTX 590 classifieds in sli
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
    2 X Patriot Pyro 240GB SSD's
    1 X WD Caviar Black 10,000 RPM HD, 2TB
    ANTEC 1200W PSU
    16GB Kingston HyperX RAM
    I have 2 seperate water cooling loops, one for the cpu and one for both gpu's.

I haven't tried the game with SLI disabled but I will try that now, although I've had the game for months and I've never had this problem. The only other change I've made in the past little while is I added a new 60GB Intel Solid State Drive. Other than that I can't think of what I might have done to cause this. Thanks in advance for any help you can be.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you have a game pad or steering wheel plugged in?

Xtreme Member
    Or any type of USB input device?
    EVGA z68 FTW
    i7 2600k @ 4.8
    8gb DDR3 1600
    3x GTX 580 3gb HydroCopper2
    Silverstone Strider 1500W
    Areca 1880i w/ 6x intel x25m
    On water

c[_]
    What mouse are you using, is the USB input modified, and is anything sitting on your keyboard?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    Gamepad plugged in is my bet like mentioned above.
    AsRock P67 Extreme4
    2500K@4.8 1.37v 24/7 EK supreme HF
    8Gb G-skill RipjawsX 1866/Cas8
    EVGA GTX670 FTW
    Creative XFI titanium
    Corsair TX 850 PSU
    G-skill SSD,Boot/games
    W-D Black, storage
    Coolermaster HAF/X
    Acer 27in. 120hz

gschofield
    no gamepad plugged in. I am using standard logitech keyboard and mouse, but I've tried four different mice, and two other keyboards. All have the same problem. The only usb devices I have plugged in are my mouse and keyboard. Nothing is sitting on my keyboard. It seems to be an Origin EA problem. Only happening on Origin games. So far Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, FIFA 12. All other games, including MW3, L.A. Noire, BFBC2, etc., run fine. I've tried un-installing origin and the individual games. I've uninstalled and reinstalled mouse and keyboard drivers, NVidia drivers, nothing has helped. In the games other than BF3 like FIFA, when I get to a menu that is vertical, it's acting like I am pressing the up arrow and just holding it. I've tried installing origin and the games on a different hard drive, same problem though. I've started a case with EA and they are supposed to phone me tomorrow for some troubleshooting. Hopefully they will have something.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I have the same problem in Fifa 12 sometimes. But if i restart the game, its normaly gone. I never had it with BF 3 though. Very weird problem indeed.
    The whole world's hip and thats not cool !

Rip Van Hippy

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

-------------------------

c[_]
    Only time I had that was in DiRT... my keyboard arrow key got stuck down somehow.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

gschofield
    Ok I think I have solved my problem. Although I don't know why I was fine playing BF3 for months before it happened.

I went to control panel, System and Security, Security, Advanced System Settings. Under the performance tab I click on settings. Once in settings click Date Execution Prevention (DEP) Click the second choice, "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select". restart and problem solved, for me that is. The problem may re-occur but so far I've played 3 hours of FIFA 12 and no problems.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Oh well that was obvious!

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !