Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS - Dual Socket 2011

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by beaker7 View Post
    Stork dropped this off... 1 of 2:

Attachment 124738
    I'll be most interested in what you come up with in terms of BCLK overclocking...

As this is one of the first retail examples in the wild, could you please confirm that the multiplier is indeed locked on the retail chips and if the board lets you access any of the Turbo multis?
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post
    I'll be most interested in what you come up with in terms of BCLK overclocking...

As this is one of the first retail examples in the wild, could you please confirm that the multiplier is indeed locked on the retail chips and if the board lets you access any of the Turbo multis?
    Retails are C2 stepping and locked.
    31 default, 24 on turbo on all cores and 38 on 1-2 cores.
    POSITIVE on that.
    BCLK should do 105, 106 "maybe" and if the Motherboard God's love you possibly 108 but don't bet on that.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Retails are C2 stepping and locked.
    31 default, 24 on turbo on all cores and 38 on 1-2 cores.
    POSITIVE on that.
    BCLK should do 105, 106 "maybe" and if the Motherboard God's love you possibly 108 but don't bet on that.
    I was just wondering that since x38 multi needs to be unlocked for the 1-2 cores scenario if somehow Asus found a way for the board could "cheat" a little and utilize that multi in the BIOS full time. Asus has done wacky things before that violate Intel dogma...
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post
    I was just wondering that since x38 multi needs to be unlocked for the 1-2 cores scenario if somehow Asus found a way for the board could "cheat" a little and utilize that multi in the BIOS full time. Asus has done wacky things before that violate Intel dogma...
    Interesting thought but I got it from "very" good authority that there's no way around the BCLK strap issue and the "WHO' of this is someone I respect VERY much..
    I had thought that perhaps the 38 multi was thermally controlled so maybe keeping the chips under X temp might fool it but it's locked solid.
    Another thought:
    I was thinking and it came to me that with each generation Intel takes more and more of the ability to overclock away from us.
    Guys got their i7-920's to do the speeds of the 975's so what do we see next? SB chips with locked down BCLK's on the first P67 boards
    Manufacturers got around this and now the boot at 100 is on the chip.
    Now overclocking is probably what? Somewhere between 1-3% of their overall business BUT those overclockers spend way above the average of the normal user but we're still looked at like the red headed stepchild.
    Oh yes, they toss us a bone here and there with the K or X unlocked multi desktop cpu's just to keep us quiet but at the same time do their damnest to
    keep us "in our place"
    There is no reason in hell that when someone spends $3800.00 for TWO damned cpu's that they should be disabled in any way shape or form.
    Are you hearing me Intel? Unlock the multi's and enable the BCLK strap on the top E5-26xx cpu's!
    Last edited by Movieman; 03-21-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Addict
    ^^ Would ES samples be limited by BLCK strap as well?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    ^^ Would ES samples be limited by BLCK strap as well?
    Yes, I did hear a rumor of early stepping 8 cores with unlocked multi's but haven't found anyone thats seen one.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    there is no reason in hell that when someone spends $3800.00 for two damned cpu's that they should be disabled in any way shape or form.
    are you hearing me intel? Unlock the multi's and enable the bclk strap on the top e5-26xx cpu's!
    testify!

-pb
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    what about "Dr.Who"?... I don't know if he's part of that deign team, but wouldn't he know where to look for them...? (treasure map saying the treasure is under a giant T....)

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    what about "Dr.Who"?... I don't know if he's part of that deign team, but wouldn't he know where to look for them...? (treasure map saying the treasure is under a giant T....)
    He's not a designer. He's a PR guy with a few skills.

Xtreme Addict
    Ah, my mistake, I was always under the impression that he (JP) was involved with design somehow, however I suppose if that was the case there'd be no way Intel would let him post squeak all on here.

comes to show how much I know of him... nada

RAIDer
    I red
    He's a PR guy with a few kills

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Originally Posted by Movieman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post
    I red
    He's a PR guy with a few kills
    More like a guy whose issued a permit for Bear but only goes after rabbits and squirrels because they can't fight back.

I am Xtreme
    He's a PR guy with a few skills.
    What happened to the nice and ever polite old Movieman?..
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    What happened to the nice and ever polite old Movieman?..
    He got sick and tired of being played for a fool by some of these people and decided it's time to say it like it is.
    Now thats not all of these companies or even all of the people within any company.
    I've dealt with some excellent people, even ones who said no to requests but some of these guys need to be handed a reality check
    No more smooch while they treat us like fools to serve their agenda's..I've had enough of their BS to last me a lifetime.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    He got sick and tired of being played for a fool by some of these people and decided it's time to say it like it is.
    Now thats not all of these companies or even all of the people within any company.
    I've dealt with some excellent people, even ones who said no to requests but some of these guys need to be handed a reality check
    No more smooch while they treat us like fools to serve their agenda's..I've had enough of their BS to last me a lifetime.
    Heck yeah, bring on the raging kneecap breaking Movieman we all want

Family is growing. Case coming today. 1 more ram kit too, probably tomorrow. Hope to have something going by this weekend.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2687w_ram.JPG 
Views:	823 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	124756

Hot damn! Looking forward to seeing the beast running.
    Intel 2500K 4.7Ghz @ 1.35v
    MSI Z77A-G45
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz 8GB 9-11-10-24 1T
    Gigabyte HD7970 WF3 OC Crossfire
    Crucial M4 64gb Raid-0
    Corsair Force 3 240GB
    Silverstone ST1000-G
    Coolermaster HAF932

Xtreme Addict
    Woa... now that's a side of you i've never seen. And considering i've been on this forum for about a decade... that's saying a lot.

I just don't want to hear about any Intel employees getting kneecapped in the parking lot ya hear?

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    family is growing. Case coming today. 1 more ram kit too, probably tomorrow. hope to have something going by this weekend.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2687w_ram.JPG 
Views:	823 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	124756
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Heck yeah, bring on the raging kneecap breaking Movieman we all want

+10!!

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    +10!!
    Maybe we'll be seeing some Irish ire in full fledge.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Addict
    Amen to that...

So I got the Case Labs MH10 in last night. Very nice case overall but i was slightly disappointed to find that one cannot run 2 480 rads and 2 PSUs in the right side chamber as I had thought. I must have made an error in my research.

This leads me to a question.

I was planning to run the following: (only listing the power sucking items)

2x 2687w
    1x Quadro 5000
    2x EVGA GeForce 580 3GB Classified Hydro
    2x swiftech pumps
    4-5 7200RPM Drives

Was previously planning to run a Corsair AX1200 as the mains power supply, CPU, case items, board, etc, and then a secondary AX850 to push the PCI-E cable power to the cards.

Therefore my options are:

1) Run everything off the AX1200, freeing up space for 2 instead of 1 480 rad.
    2) Run both PSU's as planned and try to run both 580's and both CPU on one 480 rad.
    3) Get the top extension for MH10 so I can run a 480 rad on the board side as well <--would try to avoid since it adds height

Can an AX1200 handle that system reasonably? I don't want to run the PSU balls-out all the time either. Rig will not be used for gaming, only rendering and some GPU calculations.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    So I got the Case Labs MH10 in last night. Very nice case overall but i was slightly disappointed to find that one cannot run 2 480 rads and 2 PSUs in the right side chamber as I had thought. I must have made an error in my research.

This leads me to a question.

I was planning to run the following: (only listing the power sucking items)

2x 2687w
    1x Quadro 5000
    2x EVGA GeForce 580 3GB Classified Hydro
    2x swiftech pumps
    4-5 7200RPM Drives

Was previously planning to run a Corsair AX1200 as the mains power supply, CPU, case items, board, etc, and then a secondary AX850 to push the PCI-E cable power to the cards.

Therefore my options are:

1) Run everything off the AX1200, freeing up space for 2 instead of 1 480 rad.
    2) Run both PSU's as planned and try to run both 580's and both CPU on one 480 rad.
    3) Get the top extension for MH10 so I can run a 480 rad on the board side as well <--would try to avoid since it adds height

Can an AX1200 handle that system reasonably? I don't want to run the PSU balls-out all the time either. Rig will not be used for gaming, only rendering and some GPU calculations.
    I would use the 850 PSU for the board,chips and HD and the 1200 for the vid cards..JMHO..
    My SR2 with 2-X5680's at 4200, 260GTX,11-120x25 113cfm Deltas and 2 raptors drew 645W on a kill-a-watt off of a 1200w PCP+C

Xtreme Addict
    ^^ man that's close to 2 Kilowatts........... where do I sign to subscribe to your thread when you get your new system up and running?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast