Thread: 6970 temp question

Xtreme Member

6970 temp question

so i just bought a used diamond 6970 with a koolance full cover water block. I just hooked it up to my system and started it playing dirt 3 with gpu-z in the background to monitor temps and this is what i got.

what sensor is gpu 2 and 3 is that fine or should i be alarmed? it ran dirt fine but those temps a higher than anything i have ever seen....

Xtreme Member
    need more info than what you're giving. what size rad are you using, what's in the loop with the card, tubing size, etc. temps are higher than they should be yes, but if you're running a cpu, raid card, hard drives and mosfets through 3/8" hose on a 120x1 rad then there's your problem.
    you might want to pull the water block off the card and check to see that everything is seated properly too. i always mount my waterblocks twice, first to check contact points and then a second time for good, to make sure everything is working as designed. several times i've had to add TIM to points on a card because of poor contact.
    Last edited by nuttcase21; 01-05-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Xtreme Member
    thanks for the info and i have 1/2 hose and a 120.3 rad just for the video card with a mcp655 pump and push/pull fan config on the rad "yates" no other components on that loop i am not a noobie to water cooling i just dont understand the gpu temp 2 and 3 the gpu being at 64c under full load was expected but what component is reaching 105c???

im going to re mount the card right now and see if that fixes anything...thanks for the help

Xtreme Member
    i'm looking at gpu-z now and my readings are as such: visiontek 6950 flashed to 6970
    gpu core clock: 500mhz
    gpu memory clock: 1375mhz
    gpu temperature: 33C
    fan speed: 24%
    gpu load: 0%
    fan speed: --rpm
    gpu temp #1: 33.5C
    gpu temp #2: 37.5C
    gpu temp #3: 36C
    vddc: 1.0000V
    vreg temperature: 30.1C

that's the third card in my loop as well. i think you have a cooler seating issue going on there. let us know what you find out.

Xtreme Member
    so i finally got around to re-seating it and i got the temps down to a 15 degree differential so its still off quite a bit but at least they arent idling at 70c!

im going to mess with it some more and see if i can get those temps any lower

Xtreme Member
    better i guess, but there still seems to be an issue. i'd pull it off again and take a look at the tim once more. you should see the chips pushing into the tim material deeply. if not then you're having a contact problem.