Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Quest For Dark Souls On PC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not gonna happen, but signed anyway.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah seriously, is there was any reason it would have happened already. Though to be fair considering how downright sadistic this game is; the developers wisely predicted that is another layer to motivate piracy. Lets be fair, how many would pay $60 to a game that makes you hate life despite it's addictive gameplay, when they can pirate it and avoid the temptation of ahole invaders?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Porting a game to PC is asking too much these days......

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Namco is actually EXTREMELY open to putting games on different platforms if it makes sense on a business level. I've gotten to discuss things with Harada (Tekken front man) via his translator and from what I can gather Namco's stance is simply that if there's an overwhelming proof of demand for a game to be on a specific platform, they will put it out on said platform.

Right now we're trying to get them to put Tekken Tag 2 on the PC, considering how inferior the console port seems like it's going to be to the arcade version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

wasnt atlas supposed to have demon souls, 3d dot game heroes and katherin on the pc as well as there are keyboard and mouse icons left over in them but they did not.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Now's the time to get a ps3.

They're cheap in stores, even cheaper second hand and/or broken.

Games like Demon and Dark Souls, and upcoming Final Fantasy XII-2, Ninokuni, Tales of Graces F and even possibly Tales of Xillia.

That is endless hours of JRPG entertainment!

If you haven't got a tv, most monitors could hook up to ps3 nowadays. Would sure look crisp on such high pixel density.

Quote Originally Posted by StalkingButcher View Post
    Now's the time to get a ps3.

They're cheap in stores, even cheaper second hand and/or broken.

Games like Demon and Dark Souls, and upcoming Final Fantasy XII-2, Ninokuni, Tales of Graces F and even possibly Tales of Xillia.

That is endless hours of JRPG entertainment!

If you haven't got a tv, most monitors could hook up to ps3 nowadays. Would sure look crisp on such high pixel density.
    hate to break it to you but it looks even worse on a monitor as they dont upscale well and the ps3 only every use 720p unless u are playing gta5 (upscaled 1080 with no AA so it looks worse than 720p mode) or a 2d psn game
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    From what i've heard from those playing the game - it lags on PS3... and "obviously" they can't do much about it...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That's better. Still, only 65k people signed? After it hit every single gamer web I read. That's really low.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It will never happen and they'd be idiots to do it.

It's a Japanese style RPG. The Japanese do not game on the PC at all, they hate it. PC gaming is for odd dating or rape simulation games and the rare port there. It pretty much doesn't exist. Most of their gaming is portables and then consoles. Furthermore most Japanese style RPGs, strategy RPGs, and shooters (not FPS style though) never come out in the US. The reason being they tend to bomb spectacularly for being way to hard (many are outright sadistic) and having artistic choices that western gamers don't like. It's often a full on money loser.

People that like balls hard Japanese style RPGs over laughably easy western PC style RPGs have always bought them via import and owned the native hardware for the games. Which has made attempts to release them outside of that hardware fail even faster as your core crowd wouldn't be caught dead wasting time on PC gaming and the gamers that are on there are used to joke western RPGs. If you enjoy Japanese games you're on the PS3 for RPGs, XBLA for shooters, and probably have a DS and PSP, you're not gaming on the PC though.

It just doesn't make a ton of sense at all to release hard or complex Japanese games on the PC at all. It's the wrong platform in just about every way with the wrong core gaming group.

That all said there is a bit too much hype about this game. It's not even all that hard or all that good for a Japanese RPG. Is it harder than a western RPG, yes, but western games are easy sauce. If you're used to western style RPGs from western devs (which really come from the PC here) yes it's kinda hard, but that's only because western games have always been easy and in the past the Japanese purposely made the few RPGs they sent here easier as their data showed hard games didn't sell well here. However it's not hard if you aren't ADD and stupid. Nothing about it is unfair, and none of the normal enemies you fight do anything that's hard or cheap. The catch is that just about anything can kill you extremely quickly. So if you try to run through an area, fight multiple things at once, or treat anything like a hack and slash you're going to die quickly. Combined with the fact that once killed you lose all the souls you had and that grinding up levels is a fairly futile strategy all it takes is a moment of impatience or getting y and the game will slap you silly and you'll get frustrated. But if you treat every basic enemy is a life or death duel and move slowly it's not that bad as each enemies attack patterns are fairly straight forward and easily countered provided you're only fighting one thing at a time.

If you want a plot or anything like that, the game has well... none of that honestly. It's pretty much a short text intro a short text ending with a few people you speak to briefly along the way. None of which have anything to say of real value.

Right now we're trying to get them to put Tekken Tag 2 on the PC, considering how inferior the console port seems like it's going to be to the arcade version.
    I hope you realize the fault in this right? The arcade hardware that Tekken Tag 2 runs on is a PS3. That's been the case since the first Tekken which is why they always used to land on Sony platforms. Tekken 5 was system 256, or a PS2 kitted for arcades. Tekken 6 and Tag 2 are system 357 which is a PS3. So they aren't porting when it comes to moving it to the Playstation. Fighters do fairly well in the west so those always get ported. Though I wouldn't play a fighter on the PC as all the best players are on consoles. But if you want to play a port and not be able to play against the best players I guess you could play it on the PC, kinda silly though.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    That all said there is a bit too much hype about this game. It's not even all that hard or all that good for a Japanese RPG.
    I think the hype is deserved, unless you're talking about the difficulty hype... blame Bandai Namco for that. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are amazing games. I personally find the atmosphere, the music, and the lore to be top-notch. I've put hundreds of hours into each and I've never gotten bored. I think when people say the game is "hard," what they really mean is that it's punishing, which is definitely true. The AI is too dumb for it to be considered truly difficult. Anyway, I would probably play Dark Souls on PC assuming it got some graphical improvements... or hell, just a smoother framerate. Signed!
    Hardware: CaseLabs T10 | REIV | 3930k @ 4.8 | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 | 3x GTX680+ 4GB Tri-SLI | 2x 240GB Cherryville raid0 | 2x 3TB Barracuda | CEntrance DACmini CX | HiFiMan HE-500 | 30" Ultrasharp U3011
    Watercooling: EK-Supreme HF | 3x EK-FC680 GTX | EK-FB Kit RE4 | MCP35X2 | 2x Alphacool UT60 | XSPC RS360 | EK-Multioption RES X2 250 Advanced

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What "lore" are you talking about? Both of the games start with a brief sort of intro. Not even CGI or anything like that just someone talking about the odd world, it also doesn't really tell you squat. You're interactions throughout the game are limited to a minimal amount of NPCs who don't even really give you much information at all. Just some stupidity about why they are on the same quest as you are (that was again, explained in the intro with all the depth of an 8 bit Nintendo game) if that (others just say "I'm looking for a sword"). The ending is just as empty as the introduction.

There is about as much "lore" in the game as the original Zelda for the NES, and certainly far less than Zelda II for the NES.

I don't fully blame Bandai for it. When the original Demon Souls came out nobody had heard of it. Those of us that simply import Japanese games regularly got our hands on it and started playing. It was only after a few western reviewers got their hands on it and full into a full on panic mode and started screaming about how hard it was that it earned it's reputation. Plus the idiotic comments from gamers who play games like Elder Scrolls about how "impossible" it was and it turned into some sort of badge of honor. I found that odd since by that time there were flawless runs being posted all over the usual channels for these sorts of games. And the real ooomph of the game was creating tricked out builds and then storming into other peoples worlds and dueling them, not the single player campaign which was pretty much just used to farm up the right sort of items to fully upgrade your weapons so you didn't get bulldozed when you ran into some dual katana wielder.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

What "lore" are you talking about? Both of the games start with a brief sort of intro. Not even CGI or anything like that just someone talking about the odd world, it also doesn't really tell you squat. You're interactions throughout the game are limited to a minimal amount of NPCs who don't even really give you much information at all. Just some stupidity about why they are on the same quest as you are (that was again, explained in the intro with all the depth of an 8 bit Nintendo game) if that (others just say "I'm looking for a sword"). The ending is just as empty as the introduction.
    I think you're confusing the terms story and lore. The story is indeed minimal, but there is a ton of lore. Virtually every item, armor, weapon, etc in the game has some lore attached to it. Through a combination of these item descriptions, NPC interaction, and simple observation of the environment you can piece together the kingdom's history. Just like everything in the Souls games, it's not handed to you on a silver platter, but it is there if you look for it.
    Hardware: CaseLabs T10 | REIV | 3930k @ 4.8 | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 | 3x GTX680+ 4GB Tri-SLI | 2x 240GB Cherryville raid0 | 2x 3TB Barracuda | CEntrance DACmini CX | HiFiMan HE-500 | 30" Ultrasharp U3011
    Watercooling: EK-Supreme HF | 3x EK-FC680 GTX | EK-FB Kit RE4 | MCP35X2 | 2x Alphacool UT60 | XSPC RS360 | EK-Multioption RES X2 250 Advanced

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks kinda the case, but it's still vague and rather vapid. I guess a better way to describe it is that if you want an RPG with a really fleshed out world or any sort of a plot, these games aren't it. Which isn't a bash on them, that's not what they set out to do. If you're getting into these games you're pretty much doing it for the gameplay, of which the most prominently featured and talked about items is how hard they are. And the ironic thing about that, is for Japanese games they really aren't that hard at all.

If you're looking for hard or very good RPGs your best bet is just to suck it up, buy a PS3, and go for anything from a Japanese dev. Avoid American developers at all costs especially if they have a background in PC gaming.

Japanese are odd, they know what they like and they do it well, but it's a rather narrow mix of stuff.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
    That's better. Still, only 65k people signed? After it hit every single gamer web I read. That's really low.
    You can't just look at signatures. Namco won't. Yet I agree with other data there is some reason to be concerned about the level of interest the pc gaming community has.

http://boardreader.com/s/dark%20souls.html

Discussions of Dark Souls has kept at the same level as past discussions leading up to Christmas but it has recently dropped off rapidly.

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post
    You can't just look at signatures. Namco won't. Yet I agree with other data there is some reason to be concerned about the level of interest the pc gaming community has.

http://boardreader.com/s/dark%20souls.html

Discussions of Dark Souls has kept at the same level as past discussions leading up to Christmas but it has recently dropped off rapidly.
    I'm sure the discussions has dropped off but that search is not accurate, because it only looks for the thread title and posts that mention the specific word/words and not how many posts or comments were made in relation to in the threads.

Xtreme Member
    I have a PS3 but multiplatform games tend to lag and not be very optimized for that console so a PC version would be welcome but I highly doubt this is gonna happen too.

Xtreme Member
    I'd play it, heard a lot of good things about this one. Don't have a PS3 unfortunately otherwise I might have picked it up. Hope to see it on the PC.
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

I couldn't care less but...
    It will never happen and they'd be idiots to do it.

Last edited by JaD; 03-21-2012 at 09:34 AM.

I am Xtreme
    theres not many things that i "like" on facebook, but this was one of them

also i didnt find demon souls all that hard. i think about 4 coworkers all picked up the game. a few got past the first 2 bosses, one got past the 1 level of each zone. im the only one to have beaten the game and i got up to level 120ish.

the only tip i have for people, stack health at the beginning, so it takes 2 shots to kill you and your chances of living are astronomically higher.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Adults can finally play this game.

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast