Thread: Controlling your HTPC

Xtreme Cruncher

Controlling your HTPC

This might sound like a harmony ad, but it is not.

I got the Harmony 900 because my equipment is going to be pretty soon inside a closed cabinet, so I needed the RF option. My primary goal for my htpc, was simplicity of use, so my mother and my grandmother could use the damn thing without asking me for help.

I tried using a wireless keyboard, xbmc commander, the apps of the tv and receiver for the IPAD to no avail, my mother and grandmother couldn't grasp which device was connected to what source, simply put it was too complex.

So I decided to spend 250 on a remote, before using it I thought it was a bit too much for a glorified universal remote, boy I was so wrong. The activity system the remote uses simplifies the task of watching tv or watching a video in the htpc to just press a button, XBMC works like a charm, now it is so easy my grandmother uses the htpc to listen to music.

If anyone wants to control they devices in an easy way, get a harmony one or 900, totally worth it.
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    I've been thinking about the 1100 with win8 Home sp1,hoping win8 come with native HD/Bluray decoder.
    Can the 900 control light dimmers ?Soon I will be doing final upgrades and mods to my fmc-901x,next case will be full atx.

Xtreme Cruncher
    if the dimmer are IR yes. I don't like the 1100 because is mostly touch, I need buttons

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

i like my phone and remote desktop, but boxie is supposed to have a nice app
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    The problem with touch devices is that you can't use the remote application without looking at the device.

for those trying to use a MCE remote or Harmony with XBMC I recommend reading this website http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/ and use all the stuff they recommend

Xtreme Addict
    IR Extenders let you control through walls and door or whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo.../dp/B003FST9EC