Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torrenting - have you been caught with your hand in the cookie jar?

Torrenting - have you been caught with your hand in the cookie jar?

YouHaveDownloaded is a new Russian-based service that claims to track about 20 percent of all public BitTorrent downloads. However, they go a step further than just collecting IP-addresses and file-names by exposing all the harvested information to the public on their website.

People who visit the site immediately see their download history, as far as it’s available in the site’s database. In addition, they can also search for files or IP-addresses to find out who’s downloading what. At the time of writing the database has information on 55,072,000 users who together shared 123,000 torrents.

http://www.youhavedownloaded.com/

(this database does not take into account dynamic ips)
    source https://torrentfreak.com/i-know-what...orrent-111210/
    Asus Crosshair IV | AMD 1090t @ 4.0ghz | 2x2gb G-Skill Trident 1800mhz cl7 |XFX AMD 6970 2gb | 128gb Crucial m4 | Corsiar AX850
    Silverstone SST-FT02B-WRI Fortress | Yamaha A-S500 | Monitor Audio BX2 | ASUS Xonar Essence STX

SLC
    Highly amusing site, but the info is incredibly unreliable.

Xtreme Member
    Never thought torrent would live this long.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've tried to get one of those ISP letters and it never seems to happen for me
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Addict
    Rofl, they said I downloaded some ty ass Xmas pack of movies. Erm no lol.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    Well, torrents is used for other downloads than illegal ones as well. I really don't agree with this..
    GA-H55N-USB3
    i3-550 L008B555 @4.6GHz (1.36v)
    Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.25v)
    GSkill ECO 4GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-20 1T (1.34v)

I am Xtreme
    So why are they allowed to spy on people? Is that even legal?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    That site is complete nonsense. It tells me I downloaded Conan the barbarian in November. If I was going to download a movie it sure as hell wouldnt be a sorry ass remake of a move that sucked to begin with...

Edit: just noticed that they mention that anyone with a dynamic ip is not going to report accurately in their database. If they can't even get accurate information on people they are doing the digital equivalent of slander or defamation of character to people they list.
    Last edited by CraptacularOne; 01-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

Xtreme Mentor
    Hi. We have no records on you.
    Very reliable site.

/irony

Also good luck with dinamic IPs.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Very reliable site.

/irony

Also good luck with dinamic IPs.
    They also created a timestamp when each ip was recorded.
    So If the isp records the ip's and times that they are associated to a customer then it would be possible to find out who downloaded what.
    Asus Crosshair IV | AMD 1090t @ 4.0ghz | 2x2gb G-Skill Trident 1800mhz cl7 |XFX AMD 6970 2gb | 128gb Crucial m4 | Corsiar AX850
    Silverstone SST-FT02B-WRI Fortress | Yamaha A-S500 | Monitor Audio BX2 | ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Xtreme Mentor
    Good luck coordinating ISPs with this thingie plus with the government or any other interested party. Nobody's gonna take them seriously. You could ask the ISP directly, all your data goes thru them. If that were the case, time to start using some tricks that make stuff invisible to the ISP and problem solved.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Member
    That site is pure fail

Xtreme Addict
    "Hi. We have no records on you."

You're darn right you don't.

Xtreme Mentor
    Seems it thinks my internet portal ip is my ip which is not true. I live in Shimla a far off place compared to delhi..

"Hi Pirate IP 111.*.*.82! We got you! (In our database). You like torrents, don’t you? At least someone in your house does. It looks like you are from India, somewhere around Delhi. According to our records, you have downloaded a couple of files. Below is a table with examples. You can click on any filename to get more details. Of course, we are sure that you didn’t violate any laws of India and downloaded only legal stuff, right?"

That portal IP is used by a whole lot of people......
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    my isp charter monitors downloads

SOPA will give the govt more oversight :/

Xtreme Cruncher
    It says that i'm clean, Faaaaaaaaaaaaaail
    Intel i7 2600k, Asus p8p67 EVO, Thermalright Archon, G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB, Asus EAH6970 DCII, Corsair AX850W, Asus xonar essence ST, Coolermaster HAF 932,
    Crucial C300 128GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB, Samsung F3 1TB.

The world needs your support.
    Join The XS WCG team and help cure Cancer, AIDS, and other diseases.

Xtreme Addict

Red face

It got me dead on, I have a static ip

Hi Pirate IP ***.*.*.**! We got you! (In our database). You like torrents, don’t you? (damn straight I do) At least someone in your house does. It looks like you are from Australia

And it listed every movie I've dl'd in the last month or so

hides in the cupboard waiting for the cops to arrive..............oh and I'm not taking my tin foil hat off ever again
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol oh joy nothing on me, I trorent all the time.

If there was a place I could download x264 rips of the flicks I want to take with me to work which is in a camp I would pay no problem.
    but there is no steam version for movies.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    So why are they allowed to spy on people? Is that even legal?
    It's publicly available information. If you don't want your IP address known to other servers then you shouldn't be connecting to those servers. This shouldn't be any less legal than using Google Analytics (actually that captures more information than their crawler does).

It seems that a number of people here also haven't realised that this site is a joke (the data itself apparently isn't). No government agency or copyright holder is going to come after you because of this, nor will they try. After all, they have their own minions to do this.

Xtreme Member
    Hey Pirate you downloaded GPS map pack for the other side of the world, and for a car you do not own, we got you.

They got me right...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    I don't torrent. for a couple of reasons... I have a static IP and many torrents are either not what they seem to be or are purposely infected with trojans by the seeder.

NZB+Usenet+SSL (one gets to know the reliable posters very quickly)

Of course the only things that I ever download are Linux iso's.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know why are so many people negative about this site.
    It does not do wonders. It doesn't claim to be capable of this. There are serious accuracy issues that have to plague all such tools and they are clear:
    -does not cover all the torrent traffic (I read some figure of 5%)
    -identifies IPs, not people
    -is barely helpful for people with dynamic IPs

I doubt anybody is going to be sued for being listed on the site simply because what proof is it supposed to be?
    But its usefulness lies elsewhere. It raises awareness that your download list is public. After seeing their downloads listed there, people will be more careful about what they download with torrents. Raising awareness of torrenting (and non-anonymous P2P in general) limitation will make the P2P ecosystem less vulnerable to abuses.

ADDED:
    And I like how it exposes people who preach about the evils of file sharing yet have some downloads on their IPs. Like Sarkozy.
    Last edited by m^2; 01-06-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    only a ISP could reliably correlated a dynamic IP (heck even static) used for any particular type of traffic to a resident.
    which doesn't even take into account that it could still be wrong, via some sort of compromised system or something of the sort.

pointless site is pointless.

Xtreme Addict
    only a ISP could reliably correlated a dynamic IP (heck even static) used for any particular type of traffic to a resident.
    which doesn't even take into account that it could still be wrong, via some sort of compromised system or something of the sort.

pointless site is pointless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast