Thread: 180.3 radiator - 3x180mm fans or 12x92mm with custom shroud mount?

Xtreme Enthusiast

180.3 radiator - 3x180mm fans or 12x92mm with custom shroud mount?

So I'll be ordering the magicool 180.3 radiator and running some comparison tests to the gtx560. I was thinking of running it with silverstone FM181 fans, but then thought, maybe some 92mm fans might be better for noise for similar air flow through the radiator. Has anyone tried this and if so what fans are recommended? The fin density looks low on the rad so I'm thinking the 180mm would be better because static pressure should matter less.

Xtreme Legend
    My only experience is with high speed 92mm fans and they are loud. I have always thought that the advantage of going with large fans is that they turn slow and are therefore quieter.

Calculate the airflow of a single small fan and see how many you would need to equal a large fan. If you intend fitting more than that number then you can maybe undervolt them to get equal flow.

Fan noise is not just about volume but about the tone too ... Big slow fans tend to have a lower note which to many is a less intrusive noise

My gut feeling is go as big and slow as you can for a quiet rig unless you have an eye on some low rpm 92mm fans that can push the same amount of air when working together

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks oldchap - I was thinking of medium speed quietish 92mm fans and undervolting e.g. the gentle typhoon ~2300 rpm fans or something similar seeing as those seem to be out of stock everywhere. I agree all things being equal the larger fans will most likely be quieter. What I've seen in research on the 120mm vs 140mm is that the 120mm gentle typhoons generally still beat any 140mm based on air to noise ratio primarily because the 120mm fans have had more R&D money/time spent on them. I'm figuring there maybe a similar situation with 92mm vs 180mm although a different conclusion may still be reached because of the much greater size disparity. Cost is also favoring the 180mm despite them being $26 each

Xtreme Legend
    I took this principal to the Xtreme and fitted a 600mm fan on an 800mm rad and the result is that undervolted the noise is motor noise which due to the fan being ac probably needs to be fitted with a transformer.

The same may be true for what you propose. Motor noise, particularly resonance, when used in conjunction with a typical fan controller could be an issue. it could be resolved by resistive switching but these are just more reasons to stick with the bigger fans unless you enjoy experimenting.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    If you are considering a truly radical rad like the 3x180mm, please don't mess it up with 92mm fans. Instead, I would recommend getting three variable speed 180mm Silverstone FM181's and setting them to highest speed. See here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/96...tl=g36c15s1040. Even at highest speed, three 180mm fans will be quieter than six of the 92mm fans you mentioned. (Plus 92mm fans get very whiny at high speeds. It may be comparable in terms of decibels, but the tone of those small fans is horrible.)

Next I would add some shrouds to improve performance a bit more, and to cut down on noise a tiny bit, see here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13...l=g30c429s1515.

If you do that combo, it will literally blow away those 92mm fans in terms of cooling performance. Plus, 3x 180mm fans with shrouds is honestly the Xtreme way to go. I would love to see this setup, please post pics if you do it. Now as for price, you will pay $29.99 each for three fans, and then $12.99 each for the shrouds, giving you a grand total of $128.94 + shipping, which is a very reasonable amount to pay for really good cooling. Rarely in this world is it possible to spend less money and get better performance. Also this is not a cheap hobby, so don't be afraid to spend the money. Also remember Ben Franklin: Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Trying to save a few bucks will ultimately end up costing more money once you realize how horrible those 92mm fans sound. If you are really set on using 92mm fans, you should get one, and set it up on your desk, and listen to it all day, and then imagine six of those little beasts singing away. If you do that, you will end up throwing the 92mm fan out the window, and running to buy some low-speed 180mm fans, I guarantee it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eth0s View Post
    If you are considering a truly radical rad like the 3x180mm, please don't mess it up with 92mm fans. Instead, I would recommend getting three variable speed 180mm Silverstone FM181's and setting them to highest speed. See here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/96...tl=g36c15s1040. Even at highest speed, three 180mm fans will be quieter than six of the 92mm fans you mentioned. (Plus 92mm fans get very whiny at high speeds. It may be comparable in terms of decibels, but the tone of those small fans is horrible.)

Next I would add some shrouds to improve performance a bit more, and to cut down on noise a tiny bit, see here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13...l=g30c429s1515.

If you do that combo, it will literally blow away those 92mm fans in terms of cooling performance. Plus, 3x 180mm fans with shrouds is honestly the Xtreme way to go. I would love to see this setup, please post pics if you do it. Now as for price, you will pay $29.99 each for three fans, and then $12.99 each for the shrouds, giving you a grand total of $128.94 + shipping, which is a very reasonable amount to pay for really good cooling. Rarely in this world is it possible to spend less money and get better performance. Also this is not a cheap hobby, so don't be afraid to spend the money. Also remember Ben Franklin: Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Trying to save a few bucks will ultimately end up costing more money once you realize how horrible those 92mm fans sound. If you are really set on using 92mm fans, you should get one, and set it up on your desk, and listen to it all day, and then imagine six of those little beasts singing away. If you do that, you will end up throwing the 92mm fan out the window, and running to buy some low-speed 180mm fans, I guarantee it.
    Thanks eth0s - I was definitely going with the MH181s if I went that way - thanks for the reassurance that this is the right path.

To be honest I hadn't considered shrouds because the performance difference always seems so small - I hadn't realized that they altered the tone - although I did wonder why my one radiator with a shroud is so quiet.

I'll be posting photos of the build in my log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ftown-and-SB-E

I'll also be doing a performance review comparing the 180.3 to the gtx560 rad fitted with 2150rpm 120mm gentle typhoons